DrColossus

Meanwhile, in a Secret Lair...

[story note: This follows directly on from An Incident at Unnecessary Bridge]

There is a meadow, near the borders of the Elk Clan's lands. Most of the year, this meadow is covered with snow. When the ground begins to warm and life returns to the land, flowers emerge. "Breath of Spring", the Elk clan calls these small white blossoms. This year, the Breath of Spring has come unseasonably early.

A man in armor stands near what can only be a hole in the ground. Before him are a horse and rider, and a man in chains. The man in chains once fought alongside these others. Now he is their captive. They force him down a ladder, into the earth beneath the flowers.

captive.jpg

Beneath the meadow, a power dwells. How long he has been here, no man can tell. But his purpose is becoming clear... The chained man stands before him, full of the knowledge of his own failure. His former comrades stand ready to subdue him.

09c9f27f-ab0c-4bac-a375-994b0cfa71e5.png

"What say you in answer for your cowardice?" demands the one who holds the ember-red staff.

"I'm sorry, Lord Svell-Andskoti! The blacksmith should never have escaped, but he was strong!" the man whines. "Too strong for us!"

"And yet you fled!" thunders the lord of this dwelling. "Is your clan not strong? Is the north not a land of might? You shamed your clan and dishonored the power you serve: the Enemy of Ice! Your men will have another opportunity to defeat the servant of Kala-Herra, the Lord of Frost - but you will not be with them. The North is no place for weakness, and the ice does not forgive."

He scowls, and points his staff at the unfortunate captive. Its tip glows red like a banked fire. "Your men will learn: Svell-Andskoti does not forgive! If you will not serve well... you will be consumed!"

Flames leap from his staff. The captive is engulfed in a horrifying inferno! The guards leap back in terror!

f1702b2a-1774-4a4c-ba77-9d66214028e3.png

When the flames subside, all that remains is a pile of ash, a set of chains... and a beard. A forlorn memorial to a cowardly man, and a terrifying warning to all enemies of this new power in Mitgardia!

63afca79-d78c-4872-aaea-3a7a0099d466.png

[Thanks for reading, all! There is more going on than poor Olin the Smith realizes! (Although Sigrd the horse suspects something is up...) I finally went out and bought some foam-board, and I took pictures in daylight with the window wide open. I did have to photoshop in some black space on the left side of the underground photos, because it was bright white. I had to leave the left wall open or there would not have been enough light to take a pic. Everything else is untouched though.

This is my first attempt at such a complex build, including multiple levels, mosaics in a wall, and multi-layer bases. I was able to make a border for the top because my local Lego store had 1x2 wood palisades on their brick wall. I made a tower of them and got like 140! Stacking is fun...

Anyway, thanks again! C&C are very very welcome. Now to spend some time on an Archery Phase I, and then Stables Phase III!]

Edited by DrColossus

Gloomy! Hope this is not the power that will actuall ignite the civil war in Mitgardia that inivetably is to come to the North too!

Your pictures have improved greatly! Nice on getting the poster board. My favorite part of this build is the last picture. What a perfect way to represent the poor guy!

The snow on the top of the build looks good :thumbup: Neat dragon mosaic too, I'm interested to see where the story goes next :classic:

Gloomy! Hope this is not the power that will actuall ignite the civil war in Mitgardia that inivetably is to come to the North too!

The snow on the top of the build looks good :thumbup: Neat dragon mosaic too, I'm interested to see where the story goes next :classic:

That's a good question, Kabel! I hadn't really thought of connecting it to the broader civil war story, but actually it could do. Otherwise, I can bring it to a nice conclusion as a fairly "local" event and then have it get picked up for a bigger story. Is there someone I should talk to about that?

Thanks everyone, hope you're enjoying it!