Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

[SoNE Ep 3] There's No Place Like Hoth For the Holidays!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

OoC: See the rest of the story:

First They Came For the Qwohogs

A Brother's Work Is Never Done

A Night At Hao's

The Breakout

Commandeered Escape

A Rebel Leaving Corellia

"In The Shadows To The Left"

Imperial Troops Have Entered the Base!

Sand Crab Attack!

What the Alliance was thinking when they decided they needed data retrieved on a Galactic holiday was beyond me. But it explained what Yeoman and myself were doing on Hoth stripping data cores from one of the secondary control rooms. Some of the Alliance leaders had been monitoring Hoth after they fled and noticed that there were still some power signatures from this secondary control center. They figured the Empire must have missed it when they first invaded. They didn't want the Empire to ever get a chance to fix that mistake so they sent us to retrieve anything useful we could find.

We had just finished loading wrapped packages of data into the "sleigh" (Yeoman's name for the hover-sled) when we heard the unmistakable noise of an R2 unit. Since we thought we were the only living sentients on Hoth we both jumped at the sound. We rushed for the other exit and tried to close the blast doors behind us. They froze an inch from being completely closed but by then the other door had opened. A stormtrooper and an R2 unit moved into the room and started working on the main terminal. The stormtrooper was muttering something under his helmet. He was probably just as upset as I was about being here on a holiday. Since we had just stripped that terminal of its the data the R2 unit chirped negatively at the stormtrooper. He kicked it in return and took off his helmet.

11777386113_730d259d49.jpg

I couldn't believe it. It was my brother Nathan!

11777118345_e135954211.jpg

Who would have imagined that we'd both end up on Hoth for the holidays? Part of me wanted open the blast doors, re-unite with my brother, and roasy marshmallows over the thermal heating unit. But I knew that we were on different sides of a war now and that wasn't possible anymore. I didn't know if Nathan had back-up so I motioned to Yeoman that we should start heading down the tunnel and back to our ship.

11777927246_4d0274ee94.jpg

11777875356_8a204e500e.jpg

Good suspense in the scene! On the left side, that console is just so mysterious. You've done a great job a making irregular walls here.

It's a tiny bit strange that pattern doesn't return on the left side. But there is a great walkway worked into the ground, and that archway is really well constructed.

One of the best bits here are the pipes across the ceiling. They're a very original and effective idea. Congratulations!

And then the middle section... could we please have a look at the door that's only barely closed?

The story that goes with this is great. I like the suspense and really want to know where this is going! Keep it up, your big story is unique in SoNE, and I love each chapter.

Well if noone has noticed yet, I really like the studless builds. I understand how much efort is put into such creations if you want everything too look nice and smooth and this creation certainly looks so. My complaint would be the four studs on the screen table. Maybe adding tiles with the keyboard print or something similar would help a lot. And although I relly like the idea of having a black wall for a tunnel, I prefer to do a curved tunnel so that one cannot see the end. This way you get more of the 3D feeling since the floor continues in the hallway. The build is rather small but still I miss some more detail. The piping is nice but puting some junk laying around might help. But I guess that's the problem with studless creations - they look empty pretty fast in my opinion.

Edited by MstrOfPppts

Good suspense in the scene! On the left side, that console is just so mysterious. You've done a great job a making irregular walls here.

It's a tiny bit strange that pattern doesn't return on the left side. But there is a great walkway worked into the ground, and that archway is really well constructed.

One of the best bits here are the pipes across the ceiling. They're a very original and effective idea. Congratulations!

And then the middle section... could we please have a look at the door that's only barely closed?

The story that goes with this is great. I like the suspense and really want to know where this is going! Keep it up, your big story is unique in SoNE, and I love each chapter.

Thanks! I'm glad you like the story, it's been fun to work on. The pipes are not all that original. They've been recommend to me by MstrOfPppts over and over again. I was finally able to loot a few from my family's old collection this past Christmas. As for the difference in the two sides, it's supposed to be two different types of rooms (one a hallway and one a control room) that's why the floors are different. I guess a picture of the door might help to distinguish the two.

@MstrOfPppts: Yes, I suppose some clutter could add to the build, but my intention was for the snow and the pipes to be the "clutter" in the scene.

Here is a picture of the door. Don't know how I forgot to include it originally :cry_sad:

11802852593_2a76102323.jpg

Edited by MKJoshA

I'm really liking your story; this was a great twist and I can't wait to see what happens next!

This build captures the feel of Echo Base very well. My favorite part is the irregular wall on the far right, with the angled bricks at the base - looks great!