CopMike

CUUSOO LEGO® NASA SLCR

From the official CUUSOO blog:

LEGO® NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover Available January 1st

gallery_148_263_119977.jpg

Hailed by NASA as a “miracle of engineering” when it landed on Mars in August, 2012, we’re thrilled to present a LEGO set based on this historic spacecraft. The fifth LEGO CUUSOO set, 21104 NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover, will be available in the LEGO Shop online for $29.99 from January 1st, 2014.

Go here and read the whole story!

This is actually the first offering from Cuusoo that I really feel like going out and getting. A decade ago, I gobbled up the whole Discovery Channel theme and this would have fit right in.

I just wish it came with the Skycrane module shown in Stephen Pakbaz' original proposal as well.

This is definitely on my radar for next year. Maybe not right away, but eventually. I like the look and box art presentation and the set is very recognizable.

The set looks nearly identical to the proposed Cuusoo project, so I wonder why it took them so long to make it a real set.

It looks as to be expected. I don't know how likely I am to buy it, but at $30, it might be hard to pass up. I'll have to have a think.

also don't you think lego is being cheap by changing the plate and rocks pieces from dark tan and dark orange to regular tan and dark grey?

This looks like a really nice and detailed set. I was a bit sceptical at first but this should be good...!

I agree that changing the colors for the rocks and baseplate is kind of cheap :sceptic: Also, the arms on the front (holding the front wheels) look kind of flimsy.

That being said, the set looks fantastic! Although I think there were some better projects on Cuusoo, kudos to the Cuusoo group. :thumbup:

Great-looking set! It appears to be one of the most playable CUUSOO sets so far, if not indeed the most playable one.

I sympathize with those who wanted the Martian terrain retained in the original color, but if it was simply a cost-cutting move, at least they passed it on to us - this is the least-expensive CUUSOO set yet (well, at least of the four released outside of Japan, anyway - I don't know what the Shinkai 6500 set was priced at, but I suspect it worked out to a fair bit more than this). I'm definitely getting one of these. I just wish it were out a few weeks earlier - this would be an excellent Christmas gift for my girlfriend.

It's ok, but I still seriously question the relevance of this set 18 months after it was in the news, and current?

Yeah, that's why the Imperial Flagship flopped. Who wanted an 18th/19th century-style sailing vessel in 2010? :p

The mission is still current, isn't it? Isn't Curiosity still operating?

I'm so gonna buy this set together with the Parisian restaurant

Hmm, an odd combination. It that like R2-D2 serving drinks on Jabba's Sail Barge? :sweet: