soccerkid6

Collecting the Pieces-Finding the Aevi Fruit

The dragon and tree were the two parts of this build I focused on the most, the dragon is quite flexible and based off of mrcp6d's Ice Dragon design.

The Aevi tree is a rare tree that grows only in the Mountains of Mitgardia. Its fruit is highly sought after and said to bring good health. The Aevi fruit is one of the ingredients needed to make the Kiss of Life potion. Tarill has finally found an Aevi tree and is about to go on his way after picking a fruit, but stops when he sees that a young Marglod dragon has snuck up on him:

9667375116_a5b50c4386_o.jpg

front.JPG

The Aevi Tree

tree.JPG

Tarill cautiously moves to touch the dragon with the butt of his spear:

approach.JPG

Surprisingly the dragon seems to like it and pushes his head against the spear:

pet2.JPG

After petting the beast for awhile Tarill felt confident that it wouldn't harm him and climbed down:

safe.JPG

Some pics showing the flexibility of the dragon:

beg.JPG

crouch.JPG

More pics here: link

All comments/criticism/suggestions appreciated :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

Great build! I particularly like the cliff (that is IMO the best cliff technique), snow, and rocks even though you said you didn't focus on them. The tree is awesome as well. The dragon is quite unique and adds some comic relief to the story, but I think it could use some improvement, one area for example would be the feet. I'm extremely critical of brickbuilt creatures and have only been impressed by a select few I have seen. For example while I like this fell beast, I'm not a fan of this one. I'm not a fan of official Lego brickbuilt creatures either for the most part as I feel they are way to "blocky" and while I like the castle theme molded dragons I really dislike the ninjago brickbuilt dragons. So the point of this longwinded explanation is that I'm very opinionated on brickbuilt creatures so take my crtiticism with a grain of salt.

Great build! I particularly like the cliff (that is IMO the best cliff technique), snow, and rocks even though you said you didn't focus on them. The tree is awesome as well. The dragon is quite unique and adds some comic relief to the story, but I think it could use some improvement, one area for example would be the feet. I'm extremely critical of brickbuilt creatures and have only been impressed by a select few I have seen. For example while I like this fell beast, I'm not a fan of this one. I'm not a fan of official Lego brickbuilt creatures either for the most part as I feel they are way to "blocky" and while I like the castle theme molded dragons I really dislike the ninjago brickbuilt dragons. So the point of this longwinded explanation is that I'm very opinionated on brickbuilt creatures so take my crtiticism with a grain of salt.

Thanks Masa, the feet were my least favorite part of the dragon, I just couldn't figure out a way to make them better :hmpf_bad:

Great moc. I like the effects of the snow that you created and the snow on the tree that is hanging from the cliff really makes this moc pop.

Great moc. I like the effects of the snow that you created and the snow on the tree that is hanging from the cliff really makes this moc pop.

Thanks, I've had a bit of experience with snow :classic:

...I just couldn't figure out a way to make them better :hmpf_bad:

Yeah, hands and feet are rough. Izzo's dragons over on Brickshelf (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=237558) have some pretty sweet stuff, though I think his heads and bodies are better than the feet/hands.

The rock face is fantastic as an example of rockwork, but I wish there were some specks of snow in there. It looks a bit odd to my eyes with snow on top, snow on the ground, and nothing in between.

Like I said on flickr, that tree is awesome! And the rubies as fruit is a fantastic idea. :thumbup:

The snot cliffs are very clever. If I may say one "issue" - although I am the one that never makes any actial photo, because I render - the black dragon is almost impossible to see right. I read several times that it is hard to take a picture from a black something, and the contrast with the many golden ridges makes is hard to see what what to see. :classic: Or maybe only my screen playing tricks, I don't know. No offense!

Yeah, hands and feet are rough. Izzo's dragons over on Brickshelf (http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=237558) have some pretty sweet stuff, though I think his heads and bodies are better than the feet/hands.

The rock face is fantastic as an example of rockwork, but I wish there were some specks of snow in there. It looks a bit odd to my eyes with snow on top, snow on the ground, and nothing in between.

Like I said on flickr, that tree is awesome! And the rubies as fruit is a fantastic idea. :thumbup:

Thanks for the link, he has some really incredible dragons :thumbup: Good suggestion for snow on the mountain, I'll keep that in mind. Glad you like the rubies as fruit, I wanted to make the fruit different than just an apple or cherry and liked the look of the rubies :classic:

The snot cliffs are very clever. If I may say one "issue" - although I am the one that never makes any actial photo, because I render - the black dragon is almost impossible to see right. I read several times that it is hard to take a picture from a black something, and the contrast with the many golden ridges makes is hard to see what what to see. :classic: Or maybe only my screen playing tricks, I don't know. No offense!

Thanks, black is a bit of a pain to photograph. What part did you want to see?

This is great! I love the rough look of the mountain and I love the colour scheme of the dragon.

Thank you, glad you like the gold/black colorscheme :classic:

Well done! Good choice with the olive green leaves and the red jewel piece as the fruit, they make a nice combo. The rock work and the snow look great and the dragon is a nice touch to the story. :classic:

Well done! Good choice with the olive green leaves and the red jewel piece as the fruit, they make a nice combo. The rock work and the snow look great and the dragon is a nice touch to the story. :classic:

Thanks, I'm glad you like the olive green leaves/red jewel combo :classic:

Very nice build, I especially like the cliff with snow on top and the tree.

Like Masa I'm not totally convinced by the brick-built creature. It is cool, but I find its shape to be a bit hard to make out and the gaps in it to be a bit too distracting. Then again, it could just be my imagination getting "too grown up" after I turned 30? :wink:

Very nice build, I especially like the cliff with snow on top and the tree.

Like Masa I'm not totally convinced by the brick-built creature. It is cool, but I find its shape to be a bit hard to make out and the gaps in it to be a bit too distracting. Then again, it could just be my imagination getting "too grown up" after I turned 30? :wink:

Thanks Gideon, brick built creatures are definitely hard to do, and I think you're right in saying this guy could be improved a lot :classic:

Wow! Nice SNOT cliff! Love the cones on the dragon and the tree (as well as it's roots) are great! The snow-work is incredible too! :sweet::thumbup:

Wow! Nice SNOT cliff! Love the cones on the dragon and the tree (as well as it's roots) are great! The snow-work is incredible too! :sweet::thumbup:

Thanks Infernum, I'm glad you like the tree roots, they were a bit difficult to do :classic:

Somehow I missed this! Love the whole build, the tree is my favourite part, and the dragon is great too.

Thanks! The tree is my favorite part too :classic:

A great moc! I love that cliffside! I think I have to start practice building some rocks now with all the new techniques! =)

A great moc! I love that cliffside! I think I have to start practice building some rocks now with all the new techniques! =)

Thanks dG, there are definitely many different rock techniques to choose from :laugh:

i really like th cliffside. And the dragon is awesome.

the*

Thank you :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

I must not have looked close enough at this cuz I didnt realize SNOT was involved,that makes it even beter :thumbup: Edited by Bkrosell

The second picture is just epic!!

Also congratz on the rockwork! It really looks natural :classic: