Sign in to follow this  
kohrmand

Squeaky 12v Motor

Hello. I recently acquired a 12v motor that squeaks when it runs. Aside from the noise, it otherwise operates normally. I've never had this issue with any other 12v motor before. Is this common? Any suggestions or tips on how I might fix it? My first instinct is to lubricate it, but I have no idea how or what kind of lubrication to use and don't want to damage the motor.

There are a couple of online photo guides on how to open the red and black train Motors - it is a bit tricky but should not be fatal. Guess something is a bit haired up inside.

Another option is to put lubricant into one of the openings, then shake the motor so the lubricant goes everywhere, then apply some electricity (e.g. a 9V battery) to make it spin.

That will likely make the squakyness go away. The motor will also likely run faster and be stronger.

Before you put it on the track though, put some paper towels underneath and let the lubricant drip out for the next couple of days so the lubricant doesn't end up on the track.

Just make sure the lubricant is non-conducting otherwise you will blow up everything

any recommended types? I understand that wd-40 is bad?

It can cause issues with the plastic, a pure silicone will be ok and it wont conduct either. where are you in the world, maybe some people can wade in with specific examples.

You could do worse than visit your local model or model railway shop. They will have plastic friendly oils of just the right viscosity. The one I have comes in a pen sized dispenser, with a thin hypodermic needle type of nozzle which allows you to get in to tight spaces. You just squeeze it and get a small drop of oil on the end. I have just had the same issue, and besides squirting some oil through the openings - which luckily I think are almost directly underneath the internal motor bearings - I also was able to put a drop of oil on the axles behind the wheels too. It has been running quietly since.

I stopped by a model train repair shop a few towns over this week, got some lubricate, and opened up the motor. I lubricated the wheels, the ends of the motor's axle and the gears. It helped a little bit but it is still squeaking, more so in one direction than the other. What else can I apply oil to? The commutator? the motor itself?

Its tricky, I must admit mine has also started squeeking again. Don't oil the commutator or motor itself, just bearings and gears. It might be worthwhile trying a plastic friendly grease as it can also have a damping effect that helps reduce noise.- I got some from ebay intended for RC cars, but have not tried it on the motor yet.