Bob De Quatre

[LDD WIP] Micro Old Republic ships

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I needed some micro Old Republic ships to dock on a "secret project".

I first build a shuttle, but decided to build a Defender, but I'm not pleased with the result :sceptic:

Do you guys have seen or designed micro ships from that era? Or do you have any suggestions?

Edit: I need a free stud somewhere to actually dock the ship

9614631026_be12fb8589_c.jpg

micro_ships by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

I like the one on the left but the other one could use some improvement, I can't wait to see what are you up to.

I'd suggest using the fez-piece for the docking station on the side of the Defender. That way, it would replicate the shape more correctly and pop out a bit more, due to the size. As for the "head section" of the Defender: maybe you could use an axe-blade.

I can't seem to find any reference material on the shuttle, so I can't suggest anything for that right now. Could you state more specifically what ship you're trying to build right there?

Hope my suggestions are of some good use and good luck with your build!

I like the one on the left but the other one could use some improvement, I can't wait to see what are you up to.

Thanks. I also can't wait to show it to you, but I still need to place a lots of bricks :classic:

I'd suggest using the fez-piece for the docking station on the side of the Defender. That way, it would replicate the shape more correctly and pop out a bit more, due to the size. As for the "head section" of the Defender: maybe you could use an axe-blade.

I can't seem to find any reference material on the shuttle, so I can't suggest anything for that right now. Could you state more specifically what ship you're trying to build right there?

Hope my suggestions are of some good use and good luck with your build!

I always forgot to use the fez! It was a very good suggestion, so I rebuild the Defender and that new version seems a lot better.

The shuttle has no reference, I just wanted something like an ancient tyderium shuttle. I also updated it, and added a top wing...

9616075320_0fb758542f_c.jpg

micro_ships by BobDeQuatre, on Flickr

They both look rather respectable; I happen to prefer the shuttle. Is there anything you could do to slim the Defender down to the appropriate hourglass-shaped silhouette?

The defender also looks like it should perhaps be a plate or two longer.

The Defender looks much better now, and more recognizable. As an extra feature, you could use piece 4599 (the tap) and insert it into the central SNOT brick to simulate a radar dish. You wouldn't be able to dock it at the top however...

As a last suggestion: have you considered using the flower part 33291 (or 33286 alltogether) between the ship and the engines (where now the grey 1x1 round plates are) for creating the "flaps" around the engines. I think it would look more detailed like that.

The shuttle looks fine (the nozzle piece was a great idea BTW), but I would replace the 1x1 round technic flat piece with a 1x1 round plate with a hole in it (85861) to make the connection more rigid. The effect would still be the same.

Good luck!

Well that is a Defender! Well done! That shape looks spot-on :thumbup:

The only thing you can do now is replacing the color of the Technic pins to blue (or wathever the exhaust glow looks like) and using the tap piece as a radar dish (if I may repeat that).

And Holy ... what is that big thing? It looks marvelous. And big.

I really like the little defender, the other ship looks fun too. I think it would look great if you also made a Fury-class to attack it!

That's what she said :grin:

sorry - I just couldn't resist :tongue:

Well that is a Defender! Well done! That shape looks spot-on :thumbup:

The only thing you can do now is replacing the color of the Technic pins to blue (or wathever the exhaust glow looks like) and using the tap piece as a radar dish (if I may repeat that).

I tried to use the tap piece, but it didn't looked good...

That big thing is... a big thing I hope to finish in the next days :wink:

I really like the little defender, the other ship looks fun too. I think it would look great if you also made a Fury-class to attack it!

That's what she said :grin:

sorry - I just couldn't resist :tongue:

I might try to build a fury, but as you see the defender is just here to dock onto what I'll call "the main dish" :grin:

And I always build big things in LDD... Something to compensate, that's what she said :look::laugh:

Edit: Forgot to link the LDD file here

Edited by Bob De Quatre

Very nice work! I think alot of people don't realize how difficult micro builds are because you have to show alot of detail with very few pieces. Both ships look great!

Thanks Mood :classic:

Today I checked the size of the defender on wookieepedia, and Iwas surprised to read that its length is 94m, and 71m width... It's almost 3 Millenium falcon long and 2 wide...

So compared to the shuttle which is 4 studs long for approximately 20m (the size of a tyderian shuttle), the defender should be 19 studs long *oh2*

The cruiser I'm working on was going to be around 400m long (160 studs), but if I keep both the defender and the cruiser with their actual sizes, the cruiser would be 1600m long... :sceptic:

Cool stuff dude.

How about the Hammerhead class cruiser? Probably my all time favourite KOTOR ship... such a cool design.

Cool stuff dude.

How about the Hammerhead class cruiser? Probably my all time favourite KOTOR ship... such a cool design.

Thanks.Those were made to go along with my Zenith cruiser, in the same scale. That's why I won't be using the defender class.

I really like the Hammerhead myself (just look at the Zenith^^), maybe I'll try to micro-build one :classic: