Cornwaille

Cuusoo Lego Star Wars TIE variants

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I hope so.

On Cuusoo, Paulwiseone and myself have designed several updated TIE variants, designed to match the 2012 TIE fighter model. I am trying to drum up support for these models in the hope that Lego pays attention and starts building more of the imperial fighters into their Lego Star Wars lineup.

Please check them out, and if you like them, support them.

Thank you. :-)

TIE Interceptor: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/31941

TIE Bomber: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/34378

TIE Advanced x1: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/21227

TIE Avenger: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/33269

TIE Defender: http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/33270

thumb640x360.png

thumb640x360.png

thumb640x360.png

thumb640x360.png

thumb640x360.png

Edited by Brickdoctor

Very nice designs! Its about time Lego put out some decent (updated) models of the Imperial ships. The images you have there are on a computer program, have you made any of the models yourself?

These models are a team effort by myself and a Cuusoo user named Paulwiseone. He designed the Interceptor and TIE Advanced. I designed the Defender and Avenger. The Bomber is my hull with his Advanced wings attached, it is waiting Cuusoo approval and should be up by the 28th of Jan. I am in the process of building the Interceptor with bricks, and it looks fantastic, and considering making the Avenger too.

The basic models were made in LDD, and a Cuusoo user named Vean has done Pov Ray renders of the models. I hope eventually to replace all the LDD images with Vean's awesome renders.

The interceptor is almost complete, sitting next to my 2012 TIE Fighter, I can post a comparison shot as soon as the final parts arrive from Bricklink.

Great Job one the Imperial Fleet Cornwaille! My favorite be far is the TIE Bomber, which I think or atleast hope gets released again next year in a very similar version to yours! Wonderful job with each one :thumbup:

Great Job one the Imperial Fleet Cornwaille! My favorite be far is the TIE Bomber, which I think or atleast hope gets released again next year in a very similar version to yours! Wonderful job with each one :thumbup:

Thank you, hopefully the TIE Bomber will be approved in a couple of days! I have put the LDD file on Brickshelf, so Vean should be able to render the model by the time it is approved. I really hope Krispy puts his Assault Gunboat on Cuusoo, it fits with our TIE fleet perfectly!

Thank you, hopefully the TIE Bomber will be approved in a couple of days! I have put the LDD file on Brickshelf, so Vean should be able to render the model by the time it is approved. I really hope Krispy puts his Assault Gunboat on Cuusoo, it fits with our TIE fleet perfectly!

Working on it (I'm waiting for TLG approval) :wink:

Guess what I was working on this week....

8419933684_2dd2b164f7.jpg8418871507_955a84da55.jpg

(a pretty version of the Tie Defender is still rendering, but it looks remarkably similar to yours :wacko: )

So yeah, the idea of 9492-fying the Tie designs is something I definitely want! I've supported all the models!

Having said that, I'm gonna go pedantic on you as I do have some points of critique:

• All models: The gray edges on the skewed sides of the wings are only connected with one hinge/clip. This means that the lower ones will sink down in time even if the hinges and clips are new. These strips will need at least two points of connection. Unfortunately that means the tips of the wings will be less sharp as you can see with my Tie Defender top view line drawing above.
  • All models: I'm not too sure about the stability of the hinges that you use to connect the wing parts and get the angle. Though I haven't build these connections, I'm afraid they won't be able to support the weight of the model (as they are meant to bend). What was wrong with the original TLG solution (other than being a big bulky)?
  • Tie Defender: the gray bars across the panels are straight (like the Tie Advanced), but they should be pointing towards the middle panel (like so: \ / rather than | | ).
  • Tie Bomber: the only missing detail is the port on the front of the launcher. Shown here:
    tumblr_lxque7CXXT1qaum41o1_500.jpg

Working on it (I'm waiting for TLG approval) :wink:

Guess what I was working on this week....

8419933684_2dd2b164f7.jpg8418871507_955a84da55.jpg

(a pretty version of the Tie Defender is still rendering, but it looks remarkably similar to yours :wacko: )

So yeah, the idea of 9492-fying the Tie designs is something I definitely want! I've supported all the models!

Having said that, I'm gonna go pedantic on you as I do have some points of critique:

• All models: The gray edges on the skewed sides of the wings are only connected with one hinge/clip. This means that the lower ones will sink down in time even if the hinges and clips are new. These strips will need at least two points of connection. Unfortunately that means the tips of the wings will be less sharp as you can see with my Tie Defender top view line drawing above.
  • All models: I'm not too sure about the stability of the hinges that you use to connect the wing parts and get the angle. Though I haven't build these connections, I'm afraid they won't be able to support the weight of the model (as they are meant to bend). What was wrong with the original TLG solution (other than being a big bulky)?
  • Tie Defender: the gray bars across the panels are straight (like the Tie Advanced), but they should be pointing towards the middle panel (like so: \ / rather than | | ).
  • Tie Bomber: the only missing detail is the port on the front of the launcher. Shown here:
    tumblr_lxque7CXXT1qaum41o1_500.jpg

Awesome! :laugh:

Regarding your comments: I am building the Interceptor at the moment, and have discovered the flaw of the one grey brick holding the grey rim. I have doubled it on the interceptor and it seems a lot better. I have discussed trying to attach them at both ends with Paulwiseone, he seems confident that it is not nessasary. (I would still prefer to attach it at both ends if possible) I have been modifying and upgrading the designs constantly ever since listing them, but now I have Vean's renders I am not as able to fiddle with the design without bugging him for more renders. The tips of your defender wings look identical to one of the solutions I worked out!

The hinge for the wing is Paulwiseone's design, which I have tested. And yes, it is done that way to make the wings cleaner. It will definately be strong enough for Vader's fighter and the Bomber. The Interceptor pushes it to the limit, it is too much for the Avenger and thus presumably the defender. I have re-engineered the Avenger now, and it is enormously stronger, I will need to build it in reality to get the stops (that prevent the wings from collapsing) correct.

The two angled rods is something that has bugged me about the design for a while and I am dead keen to fix that on both the Defender and Avenger.

On the bomber I have assumed that Lego will do a printed piece for the launcher. Everything I have brickbuilt for the front has looked pretty crappy, so I fell back to the 'use a printed piece' position.

Thank you for your comments, you have brough up a number of my concerns. Up until we got the renders the Cuusoo designs were being modified regularly based on comments, and I would love to take your input and improve them further if Vean doesn't mind. How do you feel about frankensteining our designs together? I want them to be as robust as possible so that Lego actually makes the damn things!

And I really love the assault gunboat!!!

Edited by Cornwaille

The TIE bomber is beautiful, well done!! :wub: :wub: I hope that the design is accepted by Lego, the old version really needs updating!

Outstanding work with these, Cornwaille. These models would fit right in with TLG's latest TIE/ln. The TIE x1's cockpit looks a little bit blocky, but I really like what you've done to imitate the style of the official set. :wub:

One little thing that caught my eye: The use of the 1x3 inverted slope on the leading edges of the wings of the Interceptor and Defender. Perfect solution for the blunt tip that's created when using the wedge plates like TLG did instead of the bricks and slopes that most MOCs use. :thumbup:

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

These are excellent designs, all look really good.

That said, I can't help but feel this isn't suitable for Cuusoo. Cuusoo is to design and propose sets that LEGO wouldn't otherwise make, to find the niches in the market that they haven't been able to reach yet. Updating the TIE designs to the modern standard is a pretty obvious thing to do, and indeed, would have been discussed around the design table ages ago when the TIE redesign was first put forward.

What I'm saying is that either LEGO already have plans to put the Interceptor and/or Bomber into production when the Fighter is removed from shelves, or they've considered it and rejected the idea already.

Which sounds all glum and miserable from me EXCEPT! The Avenger. This is worth admission on its own because, as an EU ship, it's outside their standard consideration. So yeah, well worth all the success it gets on Cuusoo. Good luck!

These are excellent designs, all look really good.

That said, I can't help but feel this isn't suitable for Cuusoo. Cuusoo is to design and propose sets that LEGO wouldn't otherwise make, to find the niches in the market that they haven't been able to reach yet. Updating the TIE designs to the modern standard is a pretty obvious thing to do, and indeed, would have been discussed around the design table ages ago when the TIE redesign was first put forward.

What I'm saying is that either LEGO already have plans to put the Interceptor and/or Bomber into production when the Fighter is removed from shelves, or they've considered it and rejected the idea already.

Which sounds all glum and miserable from me EXCEPT! The Avenger. This is worth admission on its own because, as an EU ship, it's outside their standard consideration. So yeah, well worth all the success it gets on Cuusoo. Good luck!

Thank you for the honest (and rather depressing) comment. I suspect you are right. Lucasarts will be wanting Lego to produce tonnes of prequel sets this year since they are releasing the 3d versions of II and III, and next year will likely be all about episode VII. I do not know anythign about what they are going to do, but that may mean they plan on releasing an Avenger and Defender as part of that.

As you said, Cuusoo is about presenting designs that Lego would not normally make. Paulwiseone and I listed these designs since the Imperial fighters seemed to have escaped the update that the rebel fighter fleet has received, I can only speak for myself here, but I listed them with no grand desire for Cuusoo royalties, just to try to get Lego's attention that there is a demand for these sets and they should consider slotting them into their Star Wars line.

As for the Avenger, it is one of my favourites, in fact tonight I was going to work on it and try to include some of Krispy's innovations to strengthen the model as I really want to scratchbuild it. Unfortunately the Cuusoo public does not seem to agree with me, as the Avenger has far fewer supporters than any of the more well known fighters.

Thank you for your comments, you have brough up a number of my concerns. Up until we got the renders the Cuusoo designs were being modified regularly based on comments, and I would love to take your input and improve them further if Vean doesn't mind. How do you feel about frankensteining our designs together? I want them to be as robust as possible so that Lego actually makes the damn things!

As for the Avenger, it is one of my favourites, in fact tonight I was going to work on it and try to include some of Krispy's innovations to strengthen the model as I really want to scratchbuild it. Unfortunately the Cuusoo public does not seem to agree with me, as the Avenger has far fewer supporters than any of the more well known fighters.

Well, I for one can't wait to see what you can come up with. I have no problem if you "Frankenstein" the designs (PM me if you need help); as long as we can give the Emperor better TIE fighters, right? :wink:

And hopefully TLG will take the Cuusoo hint and update their imperial line for 2014, though I agree that our best hope at that is Episode VII containing TIE Advanced and Defenders (maybe even Star Wings).

Anyway, I've been taking a look at the bley "cross beams" on the wings again; I wasn't happy with the way the rotated clamps (part #2555) disrupted array of grille tiles on the wing (yes, I coat my wings in 2412b's). I've now used a 1x6 tile (as you have used on the TIE Advanced) on a single round 1x1 plate (though I suspect a square one would work just as well). It's a bit wider, but also lower in profile. I'll post a piccie when the render is done (seriously... that bubble cockpit takes forever to render).

Eell that's the bitter irony of Cuusoo - people naturally support what they already recognise, even though it may not be worthwhile n the long run. See all the copycat Minecraft projects for evidence of that.

And sorry if my comments depressedyou. Please don't take it against your models themselves - they are all really great. It's just I don't think Cuusoo is the right place for most of them

Well, I for one can't wait to see what you can come up with. I have no problem if you "Frankenstein" the designs (PM me if you need help); as long as we can give the Emperor better TIE fighters, right? :wink:

And hopefully TLG will take the Cuusoo hint and update their imperial line for 2014, though I agree that our best hope at that is Episode VII containing TIE Advanced and Defenders (maybe even Star Wings).

Anyway, I've been taking a look at the bley "cross beams" on the wings again; I wasn't happy with the way the rotated clamps (part #2555) disrupted array of grille tiles on the wing (yes, I coat my wings in 2412b's). I've now used a 1x6 tile (as you have used on the TIE Advanced) on a single round 1x1 plate (though I suspect a square one would work just as well). It's a bit wider, but also lower in profile. I'll post a piccie when the render is done (seriously... that bubble cockpit takes forever to render).

Eell that's the bitter irony of Cuusoo - people naturally support what they already recognise, even though it may not be worthwhile n the long run. See all the copycat Minecraft projects for evidence of that.

And sorry if my comments depressedyou. Please don't take it against your models themselves - they are all really great. It's just I don't think Cuusoo is the right place for most of them

Thank you Krispy! I will give you credit on Cuusoo and link to your Star Wing of course (damn I want to buy the bricks and make that model!)

I have been furiously working on the Avenger tonight. I would have an image to show you if I hadn't suffer a crash that lost an hours work. ARGH! I have used your idea of angled rods on the outside, and have attached the grey rim on front and back now. I have adapted this to Paulwiseone's TIE Interceptor that I have sitting on my coffee table, and it improves it quite a bit. I saw all the 2142bs all over your wings, wowsa, I am trying to keep the part count down, but I added a few more, lol.

I am currently working on my hybrid method of keeping the wings from collapsing, frankensteining your idea taken from the old Defender, with the philosophy of Paulwiseone which only requires a stop in order to take the weight. The final result is both elegant and very strong... or would be if it hadn't disappeared into the ether. Sigh. Hopefully Vean doesn't mind re-rendering my Avenger and Defender models once I am done. Once I have the Avenger wing perfected I will transfer and invert the wing for use on the defender.

I am not too depressed, I am enjoying meeting people with similar interests, and the constant refining of my designs is fun. I should have the refined Avenger and Defender designs done tomorrow night, unless my Slave 1 arrives in the post tomorrow, then I will be otherwise engaged after work! :wink:

This is why I work in a dropbox folder and save often = insta-backups.

Curious about your wing solution though. I've been looking at the hinges again, and I think if you are able to add 8 hinge pairs per wing (this is doable), it might be sturdy enough.

As for the wing decoration. I think I have to come back from my previous statement. Rather than using 6L bars (part #63965), I used the 6.6L bar (patiostand, part #4095), and I think it looks much nicer. Even if the 2412b coating is a little disrupted by the clips.

To illustrate the difference, I've done two quick renders posted below.

8423449616_9e5b642eff.jpg8422355747_fd0f81ec16.jpg

Love them - especially the bomber, supported them all and wish you the best of luck! Suspect if they reach 10k though they would be rejected as they clash with an ongoing theme. Hope not though, or hope at least it gets TLG thinking they should make them :).

I have made the alterations to the Avenger design based on Krispy's work. Do you have any suggestions?

The grey rims on the front of the wings are now clipped in place at two ends, using a clip hidden in the wing. LDD will not let me do this, but I have tested it with my interceptor kit and it works beautifully. The stops on the inside of the wings are currently located out of alignment. On the built version the plates will be located immediately behind the stops, preventing the wings from collapsing under the weight of the model.

tie_avenger_custom55_zps5325a5ac.png

tie_avenger_custom778_zpseb7d3472.png

tie_avenger_custom77_zps52ac5593.png

tie_avenger_custom66_zpsdf857578.png

Edited by Cornwaille

I have just finished building Paulwiseone's TIE Interceptor design, with the wingtips modified to match my TIE Avenger design. What do people think?

DSC00334_zps3ce983b1.jpg

DSC00344_zps89c6ccf3.jpgDSC00335_zpse025e721.jpg