Hi,

I am making train rails in Ldd by using flex cables, pin connectors and lamp holders, The tubing goes through the hole in the lamp holder, and pins connecting the pin connector sleeves however since I need corners and at a range if different angles for more realistic layouts I need to be able to flex the flex cable to a curve like this one.

This means having it so it is curved 'perfectly' meaning there is no S shapes, even slight ones, and also means that if you cut it in half the curvature should match up, once I know how I can do this I can actually start building descent track, the tubing should not be sloped up or down though with this same possible technique provided it will make this possible for when I want to use sloped track and even track terminals (to switch tracks).

ng6mgl.png

Note that the two tubes will be joined together to make one section of straight or curved track, if this is too hard to do, you can use a longer flex tube if you want.

The flex tool in LDD don't work properly if there are connected elements.

So my first suggestion is to curve the flex tube alone exactly with the form you need, and then use it as a base on which build your rails.

As flexible elements can flex in every point, it is impossible to set angles as you can do in the hinge tool.

My suggestion is to use lamp holders to lock starting and final point, than use the flex tool to fit the tube and mould it with a curved shape. You could use other bricks to build a pattern where the tube can lay on during the molding operation to obtain a better precision.

My only doubt is: will the pin connectors fit into the tube after you flex it?

I suggest you to make some preliminary tests.

@ SNIPE: For a template, you could possibly use the 88492c00 "Train, Track Flexible Segment" part (which is known in LDD as Part #64022 FLEX RAIL 4x8). I just played around with Part 64022 in LDD, and by using the Hinge Tool, I could "curve" the flex track on its central hinge. :classic:

88492c00.jpg

Great technique bbqqq, it is very fast and accurate.

I knew LDD has difficulties to bend a flexible element if there are other elements connected, but I never thought about move the fixed parts and then bend the flexible ones.

I hope to open a new Key Topic about LDD Techniques (volunteer anyone? :grin: ), I think that this one should be reported there.

Great technique bbqqq, it is very fast and accurate.

I knew LDD has difficulties to bend a flexible element if there are other elements connected, but I never thought about move the fixed parts and then bend the flexible ones.

I hope to open a new Key Topic about LDD Techniques (volunteer anyone? :grin: ), I think that this one should be reported there.

Thanks and good idea, Calabar.

Greetings ...I am trying to bend the RED flex cables but not real successful ... any hint?

8450.lxf

Edited by DrJB

Greetings ...I am trying to bend the RED flex cables but not real successful ... any hint?

There is no flex symbol on flex rod 12M icon. So it can not been bend by flex tool. Have to replace 12M with 11M.

LXF: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nachapon/94UCSSSD/61_8450_fix.lxf

Edit: Update LXF, Add fix of 4 bricks not connect to main model.

Edited by bbqqq

But the 12m is labeled as "flex rod" so it should be flexible. LDD bug?

Not bug...flex just isn't implemented yet - like for many parts. :wink:

Thanks a ton for this! I've been working on recreating the UCS Ewok Village, and the ladders were causing me far too much frustration.

Still very much a work in progress, but I wanted to demonstrate what your solutions allowed me to do (I got a bit haphazard with the pieces I used for the rig :grin: ):

f86b03e4-1dee-4b9a-bac5-2629bbbe130d.jpg

Edited by DenJansen

Hi Dan

Since you are a new member, first of all - welcome to EB and Digital Design forum. :classic:

Great work on that ladder. Is there any chance you can share the LXF-file too? Tip: Best way to share LXF-files is to start an account on Brickshelf.com which allows you to upload both images and LXF-files.

6 hours ago, bob_ross2018 said:

what is the flex tube model number for ldd?

Hi there! Welcome to Eurobricks. Please note that you posted in an over 4-year old topic and we'd rather not have people reviving such old threads. It's better to create a new one, or in your case aks the question in this special topic.
Thanks!