Sign in to follow this  
Col. Whipstick

Pirate Movies and Books

Just sat there thinking today how I also seem to be inclined to watch Pirate or Maritime/Naval type movies and likewise read books of the same genre. Wanted to list what I've seen and read or know about as books and movies that might be of interest to the big kids in us all. If anyone can think of anything else please reply and maybe we can create a big database for pirate/age of discovery fanatics.

Movies:

1. POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl (AS IF I NEEDED TO MENTION IT)

2. POTC: Dead Man's Chest (Yeah yeah, I know!)

3. Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World (Any hope of a sequel? There were plenty books)

4. Cutthroat Island (Can't remember that too well, the one with Genna Davis)

5. The Bounty (The one with Antony Hopkins and Mel Gibson)

6. 1492: Conquest of Paradise (Never seen this... is it any good? Gerard De...whatever)

7. The Goonies (Yeah I know it's not exactly period but hey...)

8. The Horatio Hornblower series (Those rocked!)

9. (Don't know the name but it was a mini-series on Capt. James Cook... a good one)

10. Blackbeard's Ghost (Bad Bad Disney!)

11. Running out of memory... what else guys?

Books:

1. Birds Of Prey - Wilbur Smith

2. Monsoon - Wilbur Smith

3. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stephens/Stevens

4. Patrick O' Brian - Is that his name? The dude who wrote all the Master and Comm and Hornblowers.

5. er... help?!

Disney's version of Treasure Island! Its the best Pirate movie ever!

There are also about a dozen different film versions of Treasure Island.

I believe we already have a thread about this...

Do you happen to know the URL? We'll need to compare them to confirm this.

Disney's version of Treasure Island! Its the best Pirate movie ever!

There are also about a dozen different film versions of Treasure Island.

Do you happen to know the URL? We'll need to compare them to confirm this.

I found it! But I thought it was similar to this one... well, I was wrong... La URL

Yes, I see there is some crossover, but if I'm not mistaken Col. Whipstick is attempting to compile a list of books and movies relating to Pirates, whereas the other thread extends to things like role playing games and board games. In addition there's no organisation as users have just posted their thoughts whenever they feel necessary.

I've got a DVD called "Legendary Pirate Movies" which contains Captain Kidd, The Sone of Monte Cristo and Long John Silver's Return to Treasure Island - the sequel to Disney's Treasure Island.

Howzat?

I own Conquest of Paradise 1492, it is a movie about how Columbus discovered America, there are some nice ships in it, but not many. Nice music though, but much blood shed an cruelties so the film is not intended for young viewers....

If anybody'in this forum hasn't watched the Hornblower series (six dvd's) GO AND WATCH THEM THEY ARE FANTASTIC!!! :'-)

If anybody'in this forum hasn't watched the Hornblower series (six dvd's) GO AND WATCH THEM THEY ARE FANTASTIC!!! :'-)

The novels their based on are classics as well. Hornblower is a much more morally ambigious character in them.

Also there's the 1983 movie Yellowbeard.

I hesitate to mention this, but one of my sisters favourite movies is the musical Pirates, starring Olivia New Town John. Basically an updated version of Pirates of Penzance.

And for the children in everyone Muppets Treasure Island (with Tim Curry) is one I always enjoy watching with my Niece and Nephew.

CM

I've got one of the episodes (Frogs and Lobsters) but I haven't got round to watching it yet, and I've got three more episodes on their way.

I've got one of the episodes (Frogs and Lobsters) and I've got three more episodes on their way.

Yeah! That's the spirit! :'-)

Isn't there 8 Hornblower Episodes now?

If I recall correctly 6 were made then after a delay there were another 2 DVDs under the title of "The New Adventures"

Isn't there 8 Hornblower Episodes now?

If I recall correctly 6 were made then after a delay there were another 2 DVDs under the title of "The New Adventures"

Never heard of that... I have a DVD box which says on the cover "the complete series" but of course that makes no sense when the others were made afterwards.

Must look it up somewhere.

Ok, I've done some research and here are the Hornblower episodes complete with alternate titles:

1. Hornblower: The Even Chance (1998)

2. Hornblower: The Examination for Lieutenant (1998)

aka "Horatio Hornblower: The Fire Ship" - USA

3. Hornblower: The Duchess and the Devil (1999)

aka "Horatio Hornblower: The Duchess and the Devil" - USA

4. Hornblower: The Frogs and the Lobsters (1999) (TV)

aka "Horatio Hornblower: The Wrong War" - USA

5. Hornblower: Mutiny (2001)

aka "Horatio Hornblower: The Mutiny"

6. Hornblower: Retribution (2001)

aka "Horatio Hornblower: Retribution" - USA

7. Hornblower: Loyalty (2003)

aka "Hornblower and the Hotspur" - USA (working title)

8. Hornblower: Duty (2003)

So there really are two more episodes! Now all I have to do is find them and add them to my collection *y*

How in all the pirated freshwater bays of the Archipalego did you manage to come up with all 8 Hornblower films, yet NOT mention the 11 freakin books?! If you thought the films were good (Which, while they are historically accurate, they took the real story and threw it to davy jones locker) then read the books - which, for those of you not in the know, came long before the movies.

They are extremely interesting and engaging stories written by C.S. Forester which follow the career of Horatio Hornblower from Midshipman to the Lord Admiral of the West Indes, and - I can talk from experience - are far superior to the movies.

How in all the pirated freshwater bays of the Archipalego did you manage to come up with all 8 Hornblower films, yet NOT mention the 11 freakin books?!

Freakin ignorance! The books have been appearing in my eBay searches but I've been overlooking them because I'm after the DVDs. Do you happen to have the titles of the 11 freakin books, Lord Admiral Helden Ravensdorn?

Quick adds...

um how could you not list in movies good old erol flynn??????

The Seahalk

Captain Blood

Both are classics...

and without sound you have the douglass fairbanks movies, the original swashbuckler of the big screen

The Black Pirate

I know there is more with him, just don't know the titles

The Crimson Pirate with Burt Lancaster, though i havent seen that either...

Also another book and multiple movies would be:

Robinson Crusoe

The book was based off of a pirate marooning story, though pirates play a minor role past that... still deals with a shipwrecked sailor.

I assume we are talking about fiction? because I could name my whole bibliography of pirate non fiction books (ill spare you the naval history ones...)

Just sat there thinking today how I also seem to be inclined to watch Pirate or Maritime/Naval type movies and likewise read books of the same genre. Wanted to list what I've seen and read or know about as books and movies that might be of interest to the big kids in us all. If anyone can think of anything else please reply and maybe we can create a big database for pirate/age of discovery fanatics.

Movies:

1. POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl (AS IF I NEEDED TO MENTION IT)

2. POTC: Dead Man's Chest (Yeah yeah, I know!)

3. Master and Commander: The Far Side Of The World (Any hope of a sequel? There were plenty books)

4. Cutthroat Island (Can't remember that too well, the one with Genna Davis)

5. The Bounty (The one with Antony Hopkins and Mel Gibson)

6. 1492: Conquest of Paradise (Never seen this... is it any good? Gerard De...whatever)

7. The Goonies (Yeah I know it's not exactly period but hey...)

8. The Horatio Hornblower series (Those rocked!)

9. (Don't know the name but it was a mini-series on Capt. James Cook... a good one)

11. Running out of memory... what else guys?

Books:

1. Birds Of Prey - Wilbur Smith

2. Monsoon - Wilbur Smith

3. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stephens/Stevens

4. Patrick O' Brian - Is that his name? The dude who wrote all the Master and Comm and Hornblowers.

5. er... help?!

because nobody doesn't seem to notice my link, here goes..

Swashbuckler and Pirate Movies

ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET CAPTAIN KIDD

1952 ~ Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Charles Laughton - A mix-up between a love letter and a treasure map has waiters Abbott and Costello on the wrong end a cutlass in this slapstick swashbuckler.

ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN FABIAN

1951 ~ Errol Flynn, Micheline Presle, Vincent Price, Agnes Moorehead - Standard swashbuckling romp with the one and only Errol Flynn.

AGAINST ALL FLAGS

1952 ~ Errol Flynn, Maureen O'Hara, Anthony Quinn - A spy for the English (Flynn) infiltrates a major pirate haven.

THE BELOVED ROGUE

1927 (silent) ~ John Barrymore, Conrad Veidt, Marceline Day - The French poet-patriot Francois Villon enters a battle of wits with King Louis XI and fights to save his beloved in this exciting and romantic adventure. An enormous production with lavish sets and costumes. In this swashbuckling story the great John Barrymore truly shows why he was the best of his silent era.

THE BLACK PIRATE

1926 (silent) ~ Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. - A nobleman pushed too far by a mob of cuthroats. Features one of the most famous swordfight scenes ever filmed. Silent with original music score this is the type of film that made Fairbanks a swashbuckling legend on the screen.

THE BLACK SWAN

1942 ~ Tyrone Power, Maureen O'Hare, Anthony Quinn - A high-seas adventure about a dashing pirate intent on rescuing a beautiful woman. Based on the Sabatini book of the same title.

BLACKBEARD'S GHOST

1968 ~ Peter Ustinov, Dean Jones, Elsa Lancaster - Fun Disney film with Peter Ustinov as the infamous Blackbeard.

BLACKBEARD THE PIRATE

1952 ~ Robert Newton, Linda Darnell, Irene Ryan - Newton is rambunctious as a 17th century buccaneer, with lovely Darnell his captive.

THE BOY AND THE PIRATES

1960 ~ Charles Herbert, Susan Gordon, Murvyn Vye - A young boy is magically transported back in time to an 18th century pirate ship on the high seas.

THE BUCCANEER

1938 ~ Frederic March - About Jean Lafitte and the Battle of New Orleans.

THE BUCCANEER

1958 ~ Yul Brynner - a good remake of the 1938 film.

CAPTAIN BLOOD

1935 ~ Errol Flynn - A must see classic pirate epic with Flynn starring in his first swashbuckler. Based on Sabatini's novel of the same name. Dr. Peter Blood is a british physician unjustly sentenced to slavery for aiding a wounded rebel. Bought by the niece of a brutal plantation owner, Blood eventually escapes by overtaking a ship. Once on board, Captain Blood embarks on a series of swashbuckling adventures.

CAPTAIN HORATIO HORNBLOWER

1951 ~ Gregory Peck, Virginia Mayo - Exciting, well-produced sea epic based on C.S. Forester'S british naval hero of the napoleonic wars.

CAPTAIN KIDD

1945 ~ Charles Laughton, Randolph Scott - A pirate double crosses the King of England after making a deal to safeguard a fleet of treasury ships from india.

CAPTAIN KIDD AND THE SLAVE GIRL

1954 ~ Anthony Dexter, Eva Gabor, Alan Hale Jr. - Entertaining cast.

CAPTAIN PIRATE

1952 ~ Louis Hayward - Sequel to "Captain Blood", based on Sabatini's novel "Capt. Blood Returns".

CARRIBEAN

1952 ~ John Payne, Arlene Dahl, Sir Cedric Hardwicke - A revenge minded pirate fights a greedy plantation owner.

THE CRIMSON PIRATE

1952 ~ Burt Lancaster, Nick Cravat - A well done funny spoof of pirate movies.

CUTTHROAT ISLAND

1995 ~ Gena Davis, Matthew Modine, Frank Langella - This adventure pits a tough man and an unconventional woman against greedy thieves and pirates. Good action scenes, great locations and costumes.

THE DEVIL-SHIP PIRATES

1964 ~ Christopher Lee, Barry Warren, Suzan Farmer - The plot is fairly typical but very well told. It has a bit more depth than your standard swashbucklers. Also Christopher Lee excels in the role of the nasty Captain Robeles.

DOUBLE CROSSBONES

1950 ~ Donald O' Connor, Helena Carter, Will Geer - A light comedy about a young man who after being falsely accused of dishonesty decides to become a pirate.

FIRE OVER ENGLAND

1937 ~ Laurence Olivier, Flora Robson - Spain and England fight it out on the high seas.

FORTUNES OF CAPTAIN BLOOD

1950 ~ Louis Hayward, Patricia Medina - A meager remake of "Captain Blood".

FRENCHMAN'S CREEK

1944 ~ Joan Fontaine, Arturo de Cordova, Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce - Based on the novel by Daphne du Maurier about a French pirate.

THE GOLDEN HAWK

1952 ~ Rhonda Fleming, Sterling Hayden - Based on the book by Frank Yerby.

HOOK

1991 ~ Dustin Hoffman, Robin Willimas, Bob Hoskins, David Crosby - An entertaining adventure which has an adult Peter Pan fighting the evil Hook.

THE ICE PIRATES

1984 ~ Robert Urich, Mary Crosby, Anjelica Huston - A light hearted comedy about space pirates.

ISLAND

1980 ~ Michael Caine - A modern day pirate tale based on the novel by Peter Benchley.

THE KING'S PIRATE

1967 ~ Doug McClure, Guy Stockwell - A well done remake of "Against All Flags".

LAST OF THE BUCCANEERS

1951 ~ Paul Henreid, Jack Oakie, Karin Booth - This very good swashbuckler is about the adventures of Jean Lafitte. Set after he helped to save New Orleans from British invasion during the war of 1812.

LONG JOHN SILVER

1954 ~ Robert Newton, Kit Taylor, Connie Gilchrist - Newton does an outstanding job in his role of the fictional pirate Long John Silver.

MAGIC ISLAND

1995 ~ Andrew Divoff, Zachery Ty Bryan - A 13-year old discovers a fantastic new world that lies beyond the pages of a magical book about pirates. Jack gets whisked into the book itself, and encounters land sharks, beautiful mermaids, duels & danger during his breathtaking adventure on Magic Island.

THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE

1953 ~ Errol Flynn - A classic starring Flynn as a Scottish Lord driven from his family and homeland then forced to join in with pirates.

THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE

1984 ~ Richard Thomas, Michael York, Timothy Dalton - A dismal remake of the 1953 classic.

MORGAN THE PIRATE

1961 ~ Steve Reeves, Valarie Lagrange, Chelo Alonso - A well-rounded pirate adventure. This was truly one of Reeves best movies.

MUPPET TREASURE ISLAND

1996 ~ Tim Curry, Kevin Bishop, Jennifer Saunders - A muppet twist on the classic tale.

NATE AND HAYES

1983 ~ Tommy Lee Jones, Michael O'Keefe - Jones plays the part of Captain Hayes who is transporting a couple to an island to be married. The evil captain of another ship raids the island and takes it's inhabitants as slaves to sell. Hayes gets blamed and has to fight to get the couple back. The chemistry between Tommy Lee Jones and Michael O'Keefe is perfect and the score to the film is sweeping and epic. Good pirate adventure, highly recommended.

PIRATES

1986 ~ Walter Matthau, Cris Campion, Damien Thomas - A well meaning film which looks good but falls short in the story line.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: The Curse of the Black Pearl

2003 ~ Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom - Very entertaining disney adventure with plenty of action, humor and thrills. This is by far the best pirate movie released in decades.

THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE

1983 ~ Kevin Kline, Angela Lansbury, Linda Ronstadt, Rex Smith - This movie is an fair adaptation of Gilbert and Sullivan's comic operetta of the same name.

PIRATE OF THE BLACK HAWK

1961 ~ Mijanou (Brigette) Bardot, G

Now we're talkin'

How about we extend this thread to include the lists of all games too, electronic, boardgames, whatever...?