Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Brickster's 3rd Pirate MOC

Another Pirate Theme MOC, Pirate Prison. Guarded by Royal Navy Guards, Pirate Prison keeps ony the most treacherous of pirates within its damp fortified walls.

pirateprison.jpg

Awsome!! Neat new set! The studless dock is really nice. And the tower is pretty :-) .

looking good but i would have perfered at least a sall fort like sabre island.....

Mr Norrington you're still not checking your posts for spelling errors before sending them. I recommend you you acquire FireFox 2 as it has a spell checker that will alert you to your spelling errors.

As for The Brickster's 3rd MOC...

Its very "rectangular" isn't it? The brown snots for the decking work well enough but I can't help but think it would be better if the deck was extended further towards the front of the Pirate Prison. Of course piece limitation may impede this option.

The brown snots for the decking work well enough but I can't help but think it would be better if the deck was extended further towards the front of the Pirate Prison. Of course piece limitation may impede this option.

Yes, if that is the only door, it does need some sort of landing, but I we can't see the other side of the prison, so maybe a landing is there.

Looks very nice! It looks like an actual lego set...Although lego Imperial sets were mostly white and yellow...

Its very "rectangular" isn't it? The brown snots for the decking work well enough but I can't help but think it would be better if the deck was extended further towards the front of the Pirate Prison. Of course piece limitation may impede this option.

Mr Phes...SNOT is a building technique not a tile!

And what is the appropriate context to use the acronym "SNOT", Mr Tiber?

Studs Not On Top, Or maybe it's better to say, studs not facing top...

Look at this: As you can see the studs are not facing the top...

post-851-1166355606.jpg

So if a brick was used upside-down but the studs were still visible, that would also be a SNOT?

Well... I don't think there is something like A SNOT, It's a building technique...

But I understand your question, well yes you can call that SNOT...

Another beautiful pirate set!

But I would like to see some more pictures from different angles.

The prison-door seem to be faced towards the sea.

Is there another door on the other side of the building?

To answer some of your questions:

I placed the door to the right intentionally thinking that it makes escape from the bars more difficult. It could of just as easily been placed on the side of the dock. In looking at access, it may have been a better to do so (but that was my rational at the time). There is not a 2nd door.

I tried building this little prison several times in white, yellow, and a combination; but grey worked the best. I just can't get the right look with the white and yellow.

The use of the brown tiles (not SNOTs), seemed to give the dock/landing a better look; esp when extending every other one past the main brown piece.

The 2nd MOC was the rebuild of my 1st as it really was a different MOC completely.

Here's another shot but I don't have one at a different angle or from the top:

dsc00011.jpg

I like the "classic smile" on the original figures. It goes back to a time when most/all of the Lego figs were smiling. Definately a happier time when Lego sets were better.

good theory, they were happy because the sets they were in were well built while today they are unhappy because of the crappy sets that they are contained in.. interesting....

Here's another shot but I don't have one at a different angle or from the top:

I'm wondering Brickster why you take many pictures of your MOCs? Its good to be able to view these creations from different perspectives and as far as I'm aware its not that difficult or time consuming to take pictures.

It depends on how good I think the MOC is. Plus, in the case of this MOC, not much can't be seen in a few pictures. If it was a set review or a larger MOC, then I would generally take more images.

I actually had a few, both on the prison structure, and connecting the structure to the dock section. None of them came out. I have yellow arches in a variety of styles, black, and old grey. The old gray doesn't look good with the new grey. It's like working with another color completely. So I scratched the arches.

Oh great! Just what we need - more grey incompatibility issues.

Alternatively if you stock up on white you could avoid the grey problem ;-)

The old gray doesn't look good with the new grey. It's like working with another color completely. So I scratched the arches.

Yeah... same thing with old and new brown.

I guess they have names...

Old gr(e)ay is 'light gray'

New gray is 'mid-stone'

Old brown is 'brown'

New brown is 'reddish brown'

Also I have been unhappy about:

Old dark gray is 'dark gray'

New dark gray is 'dark bluish gray'

Oh well!

I actually had to use both light gray and mid-stone on my harbor, but since you can't really see the floors (only place I used it) it is usually not noticeable. I also tried to only use a single shade of gray across one floor, but I was surprising light on old gray plates, but got a tone of mid-stone ones from a pick-a-brick near me.

Come to think of it this MOC could really benefit from an arch :-D

Haha yah, But really. I like the MOC, its good, solid, and clean. But the color's (gray) do not soo much apeal to me. In my mind I see all imperial forts white and yellow, it just looks good. Good build though, the dock's are the strong point! Keep it up.

Studs Not On Top, Or maybe it's better to say, studs not facing top...

Look at this: As you can see the studs are not facing the top...

Pesky SNOT builders! To the gallows with all of them!