Matija

Architecture Contest: Stortinget

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Huh, so many great entries so far! Still, let's give it a shot.

Entry name: Stortinget

Category: Landmark Series

It was dark times in Norway, after centuries of Danish occupation, now being in a union with Sweden, slowly but surely paving its way towards independence.

In a design competition for the new parliament building, the winner was a young Swedish (oh, the irony!) architect named Emil Victor Langlet. The building was finished and formally opened in 1866.

The two ca...lions guarding the entrance were designed by two convicts serving their sentence at Akershus Fortress. Later, (at least) one of them was pardoned for his contribution to the parliament.

Anyway, enough talking, here are some pictures:

stort08m.jpg

stort09m.jpg

...and a few pictures of the original building and the lions (courtesy of Wikimedia):

800px-Stortinget%2C_Oslo%2C_Norway_(cropped).jpg

254px-LionOslo.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Stunning. :wub: I've gotta look at more of the entries it seems if you think this might not be good enough! *huh*

Stunning. :wub: I've gotta look at more of the entries it seems if you think this might not be good enough! *huh*

Wow - Very stunning!

Very nice !! Although there are 2 ''problems'' in my opinion :Firstly isn't it too big ? And second the idea of using the headlights bricks reminds me of this http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67952 :sceptic: Don't get me wrong the building is veru detailed and beautiful :classic:

Thanks (to everyone)!

To answer to your "problems":

1. Initially, I DID want it to be smaller, but the arched panels decided the final size - I really wanted to use them on the main entrance, and I really wanted the main entrance to be as realistic as possible. In the end, I don't think it is too big. It is actually almost the same size as Robie House.

2. As for the usage of headlight bricks, well, two things - the first is that my model was already finished 14.3. (2 weeks before the other one was posted), but I was just too busy to put it here. The second is that, well, in such a scale you really don't have too much to choose from :)

...and now build with Danish fabricated bricks (oh, the irony!) :wink:

Nice build by the way :sweet:

Edited by Dane

Very impressive rendition! I'm lovin' that rounded tower in the middle most!! :thumbup:

One little thing: According to my taste there could be tiles on the roof?!

Good luck in the contest!

Fully understood :) the two mocs are both very nice :thumbup:

Thanks (to everyone)!

To answer to your "problems":

1. Initially, I DID want it to be smaller, but the arched panels decided the final size - I really wanted to use them on the main entrance, and I really wanted the main entrance to be as realistic as possible. In the end, I don't think it is too big. It is actually almost the same size as Robie House.

2. As for the usage of headlight bricks, well, two things - the first is that my model was already finished 14.3. (2 weeks before the other one was posted), but I was just too busy to put it here. The second is that, well, in such a scale you really don't have too much to choose from :)

How nice to see a Norwegian entry - and you've done a fabulous job of recreating Stortinget at this scale. I especially like the kittens, that's a hilarious parts choice :D

I'd love to see you tackle Slottet in the same way...

Wow, that's really impressive. So many great entries, but that's definitely one of the most impressive (repeating myself here, but it's the best word I can think of to describe it!)

Holy headlight brick, Batman!? This is just amazing! The elevation changes of the building is a nice touch. The entry is nice and the building itself is impressive. If I saw this on the shelf, I'd buy it. And I don't buy Architecture sets.

It's so big and beautiful! I love the two cats in the stairs! :laugh:

Wow, this is a really stunning MOC. Well done. :thumbup:

I especially like that you've created so many details in such a small scale and I really love the part usage.

It's only unfortunate that the kittens don't exist in Light Gray or LBG, but other than that it's a terrific build.

This is absolutely stunning! :thumbup: Though I've never seen this building in person, from the photos you've provided, it appears to be spot on! Everything's great, from your use of pieces to your use of colour. Great Job!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Thanks everyone!

Indeed, too bad I couldn't get the cats in LBG. There is one type of cat available in LBG, though, but after a bit of thinking I dropped the idea ;)

I tried also with flesh/nougat cats, but in the end I thought white ones looked better.

Thanks everyone!

Indeed, too bad I couldn't get the cats in LBG. There is one type of cat available in LBG, though, but after a bit of thinking I dropped the idea ;)

I tried also with flesh/nougat cats, but in the end I thought white ones looked better.

Hahaha!! Can you imagine. Please tell me you own that piece and are prepared to upload a special picture default_blink.gif

Hahaha!! Can you imagine. Please tell me you own that piece and are prepared to upload a special picture default_blink.gif

As a matter of fact, I do. And yes, I admit that I bought Friends sets! Yes, plural! :)

Just for you, my friend:

stort12m.jpg

As a matter of fact, I do. And yes, I admit that I bought Friends sets! Yes, plural! :)

That is... special! Thanks!!

(i have friends pieces too)