Theo

Architecture Contest: Old Royal Palace (now Greek Parliament)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The Old Royal Palace is the former royal palace in Athens, Greece. The palace lies at the Syntagma square and houses the Hellenic Parliament.

If you like it you can vote for it (or for any other entry ofcourse) here http://www.eurobrick...opic=68379&st=0 default_satisfied.gif

The palace was designed by Friedrich von Gärtner for king Otto of Greece and was completed in 1843. As it originally served as palace for the Greek monarchs, it is sometimes still referred to as the "Old Palace" (Greek: Παλαιά Ανάκτορα). After suffering fire damage in 1909, it entered a long period of renovation. The king and royal family moved to what was from 1897 until then the Crown Prince's Palace, from then on known as the "New Palace" while some royals continued to reside in the "Old Palace" until 1924, when a referendum abolished the monarchy. The building was then used for many different purposes — functioning as a makeshift hospital, a museum, et al. — until November 1929, when government decided that the building would permanently house Parliament. After more extensive renovations, the Senate convened in the "Old Palace" (Παλαιά Ανάκτορα) on 2 August 1934, followed by the Fifth National Assembly on 1 July 1935. Although the monarchy was restored that same year, the building has housed Parliament ever since.

I put a lot of effort in this MOC and I think I finally managed to make a decent representation. The model is 28 studs wide and has many details including the four diffent gates (one in every side of the building), the entrance with the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Evzones' ( Presidential Guard) outposts and many more.

However, my model is only 99% complete, since I'm waiting for one pice to come and also I may change somethings considering your comments :classic:

So, I will probably add more and better photos later. Until then... I made some minor changes and took some better photos.

The real building:

7030283427_2ea92d4402_c.jpg

Old Royal Palace (now Greek Parliament) - The real building by ted.nick, on Flickr

6901333570_d3d962517c_c.jpg

Old Royal Palace (now Greek Parliament)

6901360766_0eda0cea2b_c.jpg

Old Royal Palace (now Greek Parliament) - Pic2

7047299927_50ace62eab_c.jpg

Old Royal Palace (now Greek Parliament) - Pic3

6901222896_223305fa45_c.jpg

Old Royal Palace (now Greek Parliament) - Pic4 by ted.nick, on Flickr

Any thoughts? It is my first microscale MOC!

Edited by Theo
Indexed

That's a classy build! Where on earth did you get all these tan lantern pieces? You must have emptied several BL stores!

That's a classy build! Where on earth did you get all these tan lantern pieces? You must have emptied several BL stores!

Just between us, I own one by myself default_tong.gif

Thanks for your kind words! I think that the competition is very high in this contest.

Edited by Theo

I can see so many good ideas! :cry_happy: It looks that you spent a plenty of time on this work! Can't wait to see more photos from other sides of the building.

Wow! I like that you added the surrounding area along with the building. The building itself is great, if not a bit basic. Don't get me wrong, everything works and it's looks great. I like the use of the headlight brick as windows in micro builds. Way to stick the details.

Very nice work. I love the small details provided by the hinge pieces on the roof, as well as the white columns. However, it is a little large for an Architecture set in my opinion.

On second thought, I'm beginning to realize the difference between Landmark and Architecture scales. This would fit right in with sets like the Robbie House. Good work. :thumbup:

Wow, your first microscale model! You need to build more. :) Some great parts usage here, and I also really like the hinge bases around the roof. Adding the surrounding details adds a nice touch to it as well. Good luck in the contest!

Thank you all for your kind words. I will put better photos when it's ready.

Very nice work. I love the small details provided by the hinge pieces on the roof, as well as the white columns. However, it is a little large for an Architecture set in my opinion.

On second thought, I'm beginning to realize the difference between Landmark and Architecture scales. This would fit right in with sets like the Robbie House. Good work. :thumbup:

I was thinking about placing it as an Architecture set but I decided that it was more accurate to describe it as a Landmark one. After all I saw some other entries with quite large buildings, so I said why not? default_blink.gif

I will upload the final version tomorrow. I almost changed nothing. I 'd like to ask you thought, would you describe it more as an Architect Series entry or a Landmark one?

Congrats! Fantastic creation and so accurate! I've been there, i've seen that...!

Thanks!!! However that's a sad place today. A man ( in desperation over his debts ) shot himself with a gun not very far from this building. Read here

Edited by Theo

Great work their are so many great details on it. :thumbup: (a tiny little flag might be nice)

Yeah, I know...but how on Earth can I do that? No ideas...

Fantastic job !! you surely have my vote :thumbup:

Thank you Paraskevas95 !

Wow! I like that you added the surrounding area along with the building. The building itself is great, if not a bit basic.

This is a common problem with buildings whose most distinct features are in the small design features. For instance, in this building it is Greek columns, intricate shingles on the roof and distinctive window frames. (If you go to wikipedia page for this building, it has a large close-up picture that illustrates this -- sorry can't post links yet!) The Arc De Triomphe design is beset with similar issues.

This aside, all-round fantastic effort!

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

This is a common problem with buildings whose most distinct features are in the small design features. For instance, in this building it is Greek columns, intricate shingles on the roof and distinctive window frames. (If you go to wikipedia page for this building, it has a large close-up picture that illustrates this -- sorry can't post links yet!) The Arc De Triomphe design is beset with similar issues.

This aside, all-round fantastic effort!

That's true.

You can see some very nice details of the building in this page http://akrokerama.blogspot.com/2011/11/blog-post_6792.html

please take a look.

I like your building.

I voted 1 point for you!

icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

Thank you, that means a lot to me coming from you. I saw some of your mocs and I'm impressed!

This is really awesome!

Suggestion:

Since you have the building you can make a diorama of the police forces (MAT) beating the demonstrators, especially old men and women... or you can put a "for sale" label...

Seriously, really beautiful!

Unfortunately, I cannot vote due to regulations... :hmpf_bad:

Suggestion:

Since you have the building you can make a diorama of the police forces (MAT) beating the demonstrators, especially old men and women... or you can put a "for sale" label...

Yeah, I also had some of these cool ideas ;-)

Or as I said to my friends "Didn't all of you wanted to break the parliament building to pieces? "

Yeah, I also had some of these cool ideas ;-)

Or as I said to my friends "Didn't all of you wanted to break the parliament building to pieces? "

:laugh:

"Na kaei, na kaei..."

You have chosen to create a building that right now is not inspiring any kind of positive feelings but anger and disappointment for most of the greeks.

However, if I could vote, I definetely will give some points for this one. Its really amazing!

Now you must create some "euzonous" minifigs!

You have chosen to create a building that right now is not inspiring any kind of positive feelings but anger and disappointment for most of the greeks.

I think all of us who chose to make models of parliament buildings have more or less the same issue :)