Sign in to follow this  
Dapper-D2

MOC Luke's Landspeeder

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Luke's landspeeder final edit with some minor changes.

Picture003-6.jpg

I added black hinge pieces to the sign on the stand for a slightly better look and turned all the Tan Modified 1 x 1 with Tooth in the same direction for a wind swept look.

Picture002.jpg

I cleaned up the back end and added the Red Brick, Round Corner 3 x 3 x 2 Dome Top which is how I envisioned it all a long, but the piece only just became available in the Friends Set 3061 City Park Café.

Picture004.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Top view.

Picture005.jpg

Display stand.

Picture008.jpg

Cockpit.

Picture006.jpg

Damaged engine.

Picture007-1.jpg

The droid.

Picture2011135.jpg

Original post.

Picture2011134.jpg

Edited by Dapper-D2

Nice work! I especially like the detailing on left left engine, and that large scale droid. Do you have any further pictures of that by chance?

Nice work! I especially like the detailing on left left engine, and that large scale droid. Do you have any further pictures of that by chance?

Thanks! I'll try to post some more pictures of the droid in the future!

Looks good, although it's a little thick. Is it possible to make it a little thinner on the side? I especially like the interior and the left engine.

The droid and stand are both awesome.

There have been a few, the most well-known being Gareth's. Ras_Al_Ghul made one, and of course Oky's Christmas-themed rendition deserves mention.

Man that is one good looking UCS landspeeder and much better that the links posted above by Fallenangel IMO. I like the front end, cockpit with controls and the detailing on the damaged engine.

Also that Maxi droid looks awsome. I would love to see better pics of it as well. I had the idear of making one of these but dont quite have the right parts tough. Im sure with some better part seclection ( maybe a bricklink order) you could really get that thing looking awsome.

Edited by wokajablocka

Very nice work! :thumbup:

I don't remember seeing Luke's landspeeder in this scale before.

Thanks! I was trying for something a little bigger and more detailed. This was always one of my favorite vehicles from A New Hope.

Looks good, although it's a little thick. Is it possible to make it a little thinner on the side? I especially like the interior and the left engine.

The droid and stand are both awesome.

Thanks! As always while building it I had new ideas for making it thinner and more detailed, but that will be another project.

Man that is one good looking UCS landspeeder and much better that the links posted above by Fallenangel IMO. I like the front end, cockpit with controls and the detailing on the damaged engine.

Also that Maxi droid looks awsome. I would love to see better pics of it as well. I had the idear of making one of these but dont quite have the right parts tough. Im sure with some better part seclection ( maybe a bricklink order) you could really get that thing looking awsome.

Thanks! I have an idea for making a different one that is more detailed and has a better color combination, but that will have to swim around in my head for a while first. This was just my first try, so to speak.

Edited by Dapper-D2

As others have said, it's a little chunky compared to the on-screen version of the ship but I think this is quite nice as it is, the chunkiness gives it a certain charm that I quite like. I also really like the large scaled R2 unit, too, it's an obvious use for the big UCS droid head printed dome piece, but I've not seen it done before and it looks really great. Nice work!

Edited by Rocketbilly

Looks great DAPPER-D2...Can you post more pics? This is by far the best i've seen so far....Maybe a tad thinner IMO....

Good job on your first MOC... :oh3::sweet::classic::thumbup:

As others have said, it's a little chunky compared to the on-screen version of the ship but I think this is quite nice as it is, the chunkiness gives it a certain charm that I quite like. I also really like the large scaled R2 unit, too, it's an obvious use for the big UCS droid head printed dome piece, but I've not seen it done before and it looks really great. Nice work!

Thanks Rocketbilly! It’s always nice when people just like it for what it is.

Looks great DAPPER-D2...Can you post more pics? This is by far the best i've seen so far....Maybe a tad thinner IMO....

Good job on your first MOC... :oh3::sweet::classic::thumbup:

Thanks Envy! Pics have been added.

My first impression was that the speeder looked a little on the thick side. But when i looked closer i noticed a beautiful interior and nice detailing. And who can resist that stunning R2 droid? All in all i'm very impressed! :thumbup:

What a lovely interpretation of Luke´s Landspeeder!!! I totally don´t care about the "thickness", somehow the first thing that came into my mind when i saw the speeder was animated series:`the jetsons´! I love this "old school-feeling" this MOC delivers!

Nice work!

What a lovely interpretation of Luke´s Landspeeder!!! I totally don´t care about the "thickness", somehow the first thing that came into my mind when i saw the speeder was animated series:`the jetsons´! I love this "old school-feeling" this MOC delivers!

Nice work!

Thank You!!

My first impression was that the speeder looked a little on the thick side. But when i looked closer i noticed a beautiful interior and nice detailing. And who can resist that stunning R2 droid? All in all i'm very impressed! :thumbup:

Thanks! My goal with this model was detail and to do the landspeeder justice. The trade off was the thickness.

I don't know if anyone knows the actualy size of this? I saw it in person and it's over 14 in long, 5 in wide and 2 1/2 in thick.. The pics DO NOT do it justice....The pic actually makes it look alot fatter the when you see it up close...It is a great MOC and is in the UCS SCALE...

Edited by lego envy

Very nicely done! I love seeing SW vehicles in seldom-seen scales. :thumbup: Aside from it being the wrong color and a brick or so too thick/tall, this is quite beautiful! :wub:

Very nicely done! I love seeing SW vehicles in seldom-seen scales. :thumbup: Aside from it being the wrong color and a brick or so too thick/tall, this is quite beautiful! :wub:

Aside from the front grey pieces that don't come in red it is the right color...The OG color is a red on the speeder, it may not be the exact shade but, it's as close as can be.... :thumbup:

Looks good, although it's a little thick. Is it possible to make it a little thinner on the side?

I think those curved bricks might be the issue. They would work fine at a larger scale, but used on this creation, they exaggerate the curves in that area. I'm guessing that Gareth and Ras_Al_Ghul realized this and opted for stacked plates instead, which I would prefer since the overall result is far sleeker.

I'm curious as to why the stick shift has been omitted. I think the back could use some cleaning up as well.

I don't know if anyone knows the actualy size of this? I saw it in person and it's over 14 in long, 5 in wide and 2 1/2 in thick.. The pics DO NOT do it justice....The pic actually makes it look alot fatter the when you see it up close...It is a great MOC and is in the UCS SCALE...

Are you sure? If I remember correctly, SWDA gave the length of the X-34 as 402cm based on the full-size prop, and 388cm based on the ¼ miniature. Either way, a “UCS scale” X-34 shouldn't be more than about 5.5~5.8in...

I think those curved bricks might be the issue. They would work fine at a larger scale, but used on this creation, they exaggerate the curves in that area. I'm guessing that Gareth and Ras_Al_Ghul realized this and opted for stacked plates instead, which I would prefer since the overall result is far sleeker.

I'm curious as to why the stick shift has been omitted. I think the back could use some cleaning up as well.

Are you sure? If I remember correctly, SWDA gave the length of the X-34 as 402cm based on the full-size prop, and 388cm based on the ¼ miniature. Either way, a “UCS scale” X-34 shouldn't be more than about 5.5~5.8in...

so, the new landspeeder that just came out would be considered UCS?

so, the new landspeeder that just came out would be considered UCS?

Yeah, impossible, right? I think I'm scaling it wrong. Hold on...

EDIT:No, the figures are coming out roughly as is. Taking the scale for the original 7191 (and probably losing much credibility in the process) we can verify this:

7191 is 47cm. Divide that by the canon 12.5cm length and you get a proportionality constant of .0376. Multiply that by the 402cm length of the X-34 and you get 5.95". With the 388cm length, that's 5.74".

Trying again with the other UCS set, the instructions for 7181 state that it is intended to be 34cm long, which is just about the 1:28 scale given in the instructions (assuming the canonical 9.6m length). With this scale, a UCS X-34 would be 5.46” with the 388cm length, or 5.66” with the 402cm length.

:wacko:

Well, I knew that 8092 was much too big for minifigures, but to think that it actually borders on UCS scale! :laugh:Either that or I'm doing something terribly wrong.

Edited by fallenangel309