Sign in to follow this  
Rumble Strike

MOC: Heroica RPG Church

Hi all,

With the announcement of an RPG based on the fantasy games of Heroica, and Sandy's hard work in creating Heroica Hall, I was moved not only to enter a character, with my first "mixing and matching" of suitable parts to create a unique individual (or two, in this case), but also to build my first MOC in about 25 years!

I had an idea about the character I created for the RPG being raised by monks, well versed in combat but also taught compassion and wisdom. I needed a church/monastary facade to show off for his introduction. And about 6 hours later, this was the result:

6047098060_76cd0f1f3a_z.jpg

Here we have Rystael the Cleric and Tarn the Barbarian outside the church. There is only an archway for the entrance and not a door because... I don't have a door piece yet! :blush: I also used my only window piece on the front.

6047098118_547ccbf86a_z.jpg

This is the side of the church, you can see I tried to vary the colour and texture of the walls a little so it wasn't all the same colour.

6047098172_34196f1066_z.jpg

The back has no wall. I grew up with classic Town, Space and Castle so this was a style I immediately felt comfortable with, even though it's seen as a bit old-fashioned now. There also isn't much furniture in there at the moment. I may try to put some pews in.

6047097936_f955fe0061_b.jpg

Here is a closer pic of the front. That's pretty much all the greenery I have!

6047098036_902a724072_z.jpg

Rystael, who is the mentor and father figure to Tarn. I wanted a wise old man in robes. I know he looks a bit like Gandalf, but that's the kind of thing I was actually going for.

6046548815_22d71f471f_z.jpg

Tarn Valco, wearing an armoured tunic and wielding a particularly large pole-axe. I wanted something a bit more impressive than the standard spear or axe, and the Collectable Minifigure Tribal Chief spear was just the ticket.

Sadly I have to say that unlike when I was a child, I found that buiilding from scratch, with no instruction manuals didn't come very naturally to me as an adult, I shall have to practise a bit more once I open more of my Castle/Kingdoms/POTC sets and get some better pieces. Creating the minifigures seemed much easier and more natural. It's a bit like when I went to art class after not painting since school, you have to get into that kid mindset and not the adult one that has rules and regulations and can't dare to imagine. It's knocked out of us once we become older, and it's hard to recapture straightaway.

I do know that compared to some of the stunning MOCs this forum section has created and shown off, this looks childish and amaturish, but nevertheless it's my first one and I am proud of it :classic:

Thank you for taking the time to look, if you wish to see the whole set folder with more pics please visit My Flickr page.

Pretty good Rumble Strike! When I saw the post in the thread I thought you had just made the front of the church. I'm glad you surprised my and built a room! :thumbup:

I love that you made the effort to make an entire MOC to introduce your character into the game, and the background story was really nice to read. It gave your character instant sympathy points. :wink:

The MOC itself is quite charming, and I especially like the fantasy feel it's got.

Sadly I have to say that unlike when I was a child, I found that buiilding from scratch, with no instruction manuals didn't come very naturally to me as an adult, I shall have to practise a bit more once I open more of my Castle/Kingdoms/POTC sets and get some better pieces. Creating the minifigures seemed much easier and more natural. It's a bit like when I went to art class after not painting since school, you have to get into that kid mindset and not the adult one that has rules and regulations and can't dare to imagine. It's knocked out of us once we become older, and it's hard to recapture straightaway.

I do know that compared to some of the stunning MOCs this forum section has created and shown off, this looks childish and amaturish, but nevertheless it's my first one and I am proud of it :classic:

I can totally relate to how you feel! It's been a long, long time since I last made a good-looking MOC, so when I started building again, I also felt like I had no fantasy or creativity :sceptic: . What helped me get back into the mindset, is replicating stuff from photos or drawings (architecture or other things) and try to build them in LEGO. In that way, you get back into the whole creating things again and before you know it, you'll be building things you invented yourself. You just need a little boost at first :classic: .

As to your MOC. It's a nice starter, but it lacks certain architectural details, something to break the simplicity. A simple column along the side, or something like that, would already work wonders, IMO. It's a real good start though, better than mine was :hmpf_bad: .

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I am especially pleased that Sandy liked it :classic:

For a first try I think it's OK and it has certainly got me interested in building more things. I have a backlog of Lego sets involving buildings (PoP, POTC, Kingdoms, Castle) so hopefully I will be able to do better next time out.