WesternOutlaw

Diesel Dilemma

All things considered  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Which Diesel Locomotive is Your Favorite?

• 10020 Santa Fe Super Chief
    • 10133 Burlington Northern Santa Fe
    • 10219 Maersk Cargo

Diesel Dilemma

Choose Your Favorite of the Dynamic Diesel Trio

gallery_174_77_33217.jpg

From the sleek stub-nosed warbonnet design of the Santa Fe Super Chief (SFSC), to the unique beauty of the dark green and orange Burlington Northern Santa Fe; does the newly design Power Functions Maersk bring down the competition?

Compare designs of each diesel to arrive at your personal favorite.

Share your thoughts on this Train Tech topic, Diesel Dilemma?

NOTE: Please consider only the Diesel Locomotive and not accessories or additional rolling stock.

I'd have to go with the Maersk. I only wish that it wasn't a "Maersk" locomotive. To me, it looks the most realistic. It's well proportioned, seems to have all the right detail, and simple looks amazing. If I was picking a paint scheme, of the three, I have to go with the Super Chief.

Now, if I could build the Maersk in Chessie System colors... :cry_happy:

While I love the Maersk, I had to go with the Super Chief. I've always love the stub nose SNOT front end, lights, and the removable roof. It has a great amount of playability and is easy to get rolling with a 9V motor.

Second, I love the colors of the BNSF. At the time, dark green was a new color and with orange, it made it even more unique.

The only one of the three that I have the the Maersk, so I might be a bit biased, but I really think it is the best. It captures the shape and size of a real locomotive perfectly, and it is simply massive! I remember going to train shows, and seeing unmodified SFSCs and BNSFs, and thinkint they were small. My first reaction to the Maersk, was "Wow! This thing is huge!" The Maersk train is also the most modern design in build techniques, and in my opinion, that makes it the best.

I don't own the Super Chief. I think the nose still looks a little boxy. Maybe the general design of the EMD GP and SD locomotives just lend themselves well to Lego. I do agree that for pure visual effect, the Super Chief (certainly the prototype) would win every time.

Thanks for this poll and thread, Brickster. I'm curious to see what others say.

Having only owned the Super Chief, I'm obviously going to be a little biased towards it, but I have been eyeing up that Maersk for a while now and its definitely grown on me. I never really found the Burlington Northern too appealing, the proportions seem all wrong to me, although the colour scheme is quite nice.

Until I get a closer look at the Maersk, I'm going to be sticking with the Super Chief for now.

No Dilemma here!

They are all beauties and all deserve a place in the LEGO Diesel Hall of Fame:

The Super Chief engine (nine years ago!!!) was simply breath taking - I saw it and almost got a heart attack! There was serious extension of the frame plate, studless snotting in the front, and optionally a real headlight! The real-gray decorative sides for the motors - wow ...

And then the GP38. Look at the hand rails! We are still 7 years in the past! The BNSF color scheme simply is beautiful ...

So TLC took some time to think. There were other trains as well, even diesels, but not in this league. I bet the folks at TLCs also regularly visit this site, as well as others - and they came out with the Maersk train. Yes, from the appearance it is the most impressive. Yes I do have one. The jump ahead building-wise is not so much of a jump as the Super Chief and the GP38 were, as far as I am concerned.

You know what? I love all three - and the first two are a little closer to my heart because they were more inspiring and made absolutely sure that I would never ever go back into any dark age meander.

Since I could not press all three option :wink: buttons - I did not vote. Too tough!

Very nice topic though TB!

Best regards,

Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

I own none of them (Steam-powered fan here) but I find the nose and window of the Super Chief to be more pleasant. The flat, side-viewing windows of the others don't appeal as much to me. I also appreciate the side design-work of the Super Chief.

It is the only Diesel I have been attempted to buy. But I am too attracted to the Steam period (both trains and city) to stray.

I have them all except for the santa fe, I think the Maersk is the correct length and size for a lego diesel. The BNSF is also great

but it looks way too blocky and almost to the right proportions. The santa fe would be my favorite but it is not the right length for a

realistic diesel locomotive.

I voted for the Super Chief because a) I've got two of them, so that means I probably like them... and b) it was the first of the 10000 series of detailed, realistic engines. I really love all three, but I had to go for the Super Chief. It was also my first train apart from the Emerald Night.

no doubts for me! BNSF! even if the maersk has a better quality and design and the super chief has a more streamlined and rounded shape, the bnsf remains an iconic engine!

have a nice train lego day

mrBlue

I have only one BNSF engine and one SF engine, but my Maersk train is headed by 2 Maersk engines, so that makes it a bit of an unfair comparison. In any case, if I put these trains next to each other, Maersk wins.

I made a few minor changes to the Maersk engine. The line between black and grey, near the top of the engine, right before the two side plates this line goes up by 2 plates. That little bit of gray should be black because then the lines are smoother. Esthetically that was the only change that I made. This very simple change makes the train look noticeably better I think.

The second Maersk engine in my train has no motors in it. I felt it was necessary to apply some lubrication, otherwise the 6-length axles had way too much friction for the train to run smoothly. Following the advice from someone else on this forum, I also replaced the wheels on the second engine by wheels that have much less traction (this makes it go more easily through the curves).

In any case, this train runs very well now, and it's an awesome sight to see all the air vents of the two engines line up, and the side railings, this is a very nice looking train.

If I had to choose just one (and only as a display piece) it would have to be the Santa Fe. I just love that colour scheme. And it harks back to the days when American locomotives were actually styled rather than designed to be purely utilitarian- although my knowledge of current locos is limited, I can't think of any that I'd call handsome. Although in fairness, the vast majority of modern US loco-hauled trains are freight trains, so there is less need to appeal to the tastes of the general public.

I can't decide, each is a unique masterpiece, I want all three of them, yet I don't have any to compare :sadnew:

The Super Chief is a very nice design and is extremely classic, so is the BNSF and has a beautiful color scheme of dark green and orange, very rare colors at the time, and the Maersk is just as nicely designed and has great colors too. It also has the benefit of two trailers and the little dock truck.

Fellow builders and Lego lovers,

I have all these three and must say that they all have their advantages and are great builds compared to most other sets in terms of playability, realistic representation and color schemes. I love them all and are some of the few original Lego sets I actually will keep as is (with small aestetic alterations). Having to choose, though, I have to go with the Maersk locomotive. This locomotive looks most like the original and looks great on track.

Good luck with the poll. :thumbup:

Baard

It seems the title should rather be what is your favorite American looking diesel engine,

and I vote for the Santa Fe.

I take the opportunity to mention TLG has several other good looking Diesel engines such as those from sets:

4563, 4564, 4565 and 4512, but perhaps those doesn't count as they were never sold separately ?

If those were added, I'd vote for the 4564 as the best Diesel ever by TLG :classic:

Wow, great poll question.

The Super Chief is the most "iconic" of the 3. The EMD F and E series trains defined a generation in American railroad history. The design is great, and needs very little custom modifications to make it look realistic.

The BNSF train was the evolution of American rairoad history. It symbolized the giant mergers, and the color scheme is classic. The design itself was the most simple of the 3, and needs a few modifications to make it look realistic.

The Maersk is the culmination of many previous trains. It is the most realistic of all the Lego train designs, and incorporated many fan modifications from previous sets to make an incredible design.

I have sentimental attachment to the BNSF train, since I worked for BN at the time of the merger with ATSF, and that paint scheme and also that particular train was the companies image during that time.

For me it's the Chief all the way...

1) The snub nose is what I think of when Diesel Trains are the topic.

2) Ease to power, with a 9v system just add the 9v Train Motor. With PF just pull out the engine and slightly Mod the roof then you have enough room for the receiver & battery box.

3) The paint is just so classic and give the feeling of "I'm going somewhere".

4) Hard to pin-point it but the Chief definitely had whatever "it" is.

The Chief is on my list of "Targets of Opportunity" to get a second copy, I won't pay top dollar for it but if the price/deal/trade is right I won't pass up the chance to get another one. He is also the first train I'm going 8-wide with.

I have just finished building 2 Maersk diesels and am about to start on number 3.I have 4 of the Sante Fe Super Chief diesels of which I modded 2 into a B unit. I also have 4 BNSF diesels. I do love all the designs and the evolution of more detail in the diesel sets over the years. My vote went to the Maersk diesel. :thumbup:

Maersk all the way! Being busy with finishing my masters thesis project, I had no idea it was coming out and missed all the hubbub until recently. When I got home and saw the full spread in the spring catalog it took my breath away. It has the same quality as the best MOCs out there: you have a hard time telling that its a Lego train you're looking at and not a "normal" model. It's the Emerald Night in diesel form. I'll take a steam loco over a diseasel any day, but this one is hard to beat.

Plus that Maersk blue color... :wub:

Hmm this is a tough one. I'm not a fan of the super chief and it's streamlined look.

I prefer the boxy looks of the newer EMDs.

I like the BNSF over the Maersk because I like the dark green and orange colors of the engine.

I don't own either of them....yet.

I hope own them someday along with a TTX when I could aford them. :grin:

I have all three. I voted for the Super Chief.

I believe that, because the Maersk is readily available, it has garnered the most votes by people that cannot easily obtain the other locos. It took me three years of searching to find a Super Chief that was in good shape and reasonably priced. This classic is much coveted by collectors and for good reason: Beautifully engineered, fun to build, historically evocative and simply beautiful.

From a build point of view the Maersk is far and away the most advanced. The color combo of the Burlington made it my first Lego train aquisition but the Super Chief has my heart...