Number - 5770

Name – Lighthouse Island

Theme – CREATOR

Year – 2011

Minifigs – One

Pieces – 518

Price – GB £40.99

Links:

Bricklink, Brickset, Peeron - not listed, Shop@Home - not listed.

So, as you may have read in Rufus’ review, he went out to buy a new tumble dryer, and returned with LEGO. Infinitely better than magic beans. :grin:

It was very exciting when these sets were brought home. A short tussle ensued, and I emerged victorious with my set – 5770 Lighthouse Island.

I’m a little slower at reviewing, but still felt it would be a good idea to review this set, as I know it is only just hitting the shelves in many places, so I have tried to document my excitement as I constructed the three builds within. I must state that this is not the first review; The Brickster has beaten me to it! However the pictures were mostly taken and the review in progress, so I have ploughed on regardless.

On a rocky outcrop lives a salty sea-dog, who mans the lighthouse to keep sailors safe and prevent ships running aground on the treacherous rocks....

The front of the box shows the primary model in a sunny, nautical scene with the Lighthouse Keeper (from now on referred to as Grundy, as it’s quicker to type, and there’s more than a lighthouse here!) jetting around in his little boat while the irritating sea-gulls pinch all his fish. There are also two smaller pictures of the alternate builds, and a large declaration of the Light Brick contained in the set, which gives light to the lighthouse.

5697214617_7803feb0af_z.jpg

The back of the box again promotes the Light Brick and, in a similar nautical scene, shows all three builds together, with insets to demonstrate the play features of each.

5697773106_d5951a3419_z.jpg

The box top, similar to other CREATOR boxes, shows the inventory of pieces, so you can see exactly what you’re getting.

5697212569_d401e71cb3_z.jpg

Each build comes with its own instruction booklet. Incredibly, all three of mine were in perfect condition, despite being free to rattle around in the box with the pieces.

The primary build front shows the same scene as the box front:

5697747246_0734a63b0f.jpg

The back shows the final stage of the build.

5697750140_974a45ac61.jpg

Inside this first booklet is an overview of all three builds, designating them “Advanced”, “Experienced” and “Quick” presumably to give kids an idea of which build to start with.

5697783036_aa983490b7.jpg

The second instruction booklet front again shows the model in the same bright and sunny scene.

5697768104_95629b7880.jpg

While the back features the obligatory gurning child.

5697759646_962b5180b7.jpg

The third booklet shows the third model with the same background,

5697762402_c0ba07f1fb.jpg

and here the back shows promotional pictures of CREATOR set 5771-Hillside House :wub: with its Sound Brick :hmpf_bad:

5697190415_348736e838.jpg

Also inside the box are a couple of blue plates, loose,

5697780408_83f133fdd8.jpg

three largish poly-bags,

5697776110_fa83863c4d_z.jpg

four smallish poly-bags,

5697203831_8841e5acff_z.jpg

and a very small, but very shiny sticker sheet, again in unexpectedly good condition.

5697209475_7f89a11e08.jpg

As has been discussed on the boards, CREATOR sets now come with mini-figures, and 5770 is no exception, providing a Lighthouse Keeper (Grundy :grin:) He wears an orange waterproof jacket, with nice printed details. There’s even a hood printed on the back.

5697796362_de5be07f1d_m.jpg5697222957_79b8a5f966_m.jpg

There are a variety of mostly red and white pieces, but I particularly like the large quantity of macaroni bricks in red and white. There are a few plates, which with the earlier-shown blue plates, will provide the flat portions of the models; as with other newer CREATOR sets, there is no baseplate.

5697792152_19385a1a4e_z.jpg

A small selection of roof tiles is provided, in black, light bley and dark bley. Most interesting are the Light Brick, and four 2x5 trans-clear bricks. There are also two 1x5 black bricks, which are unusual.

5697220909_4708e1c5fa_z.jpg

Within the smaller parts, there are nice pearlised gold shutters for the 2x4 brown window frame, a large amount of taps and skeleton feet both in white, four smaller windows, a propeller, yellow life-preserver part, steering wheel and a small selection of Technic pieces.

5697803206_412fced541_z.jpg

The main build, all together:

5697826756_77149ea13f_z.jpg

The front of the model shows the rocky outcrop, complete with small pier, and thieving sea-gulls. There’s a small fire-pit for cooking any fish Grundy can keep hold of, and a life-preserver in case he falls into the deep blue sea (though heaven knows who’ll chuck it to him :sceptic:)

5697247025_07fa806506_z.jpg

The right side affords a better view of the little window in the house section, the rocks and the beautiful lighthouse itself, with its lovely rounded corners – so tactile!

5697245925_5ced24af9b_z.jpg

The back mainly shows the handle, by which the reflectively stickered bricks at the top of the lighthouse rotate, to shine the light around. Housed inside the top part of the lighthouse tower is the mechanism for this; a series of interconnecting cogs and axles.

5697822554_91f73df114_z.jpg

The left side is a little plain....

5697244365_2c37eae29c_z.jpg

....but this is to allow it to open and reveal the shack within! Here is a small stove for warming your tea, and a ladder for access to the upper part of the lighthouse tower, however the ladder only goes part of the way up before four white curved plates prevent Grundy’s advance and inevitable mangling by the Technic mechanism. It’s a little unfortunate that the chimney on the roof cannot line up with that of the stove inside the shack, but that’s a minor gripe.

5697249219_3e644043d9_z.jpg

Another minor gripe is that the smooth roundedness of the lighthouse tower is interrupted by a couple of angular levels, but that is to allow the side to open.

5697253925_99dbaaeca1_z.jpg

The balcony shows where all those skeleton feet and taps are needed and the binoculars provide a lookout station.

5697810580_9def87f504_z.jpg

The top of the lighthouse naturally houses the Light Brick. It’d have been nicer if the Light Brick had had a white light, rather than yellow, and it’s not a strong light, but it is a delightful feature nonetheless.

5697812204_be1221e5ff_z.jpg

The light doesn’t project very far, even in darkness. I must admit I haven’t applied the stickers, although I doubt that would make much difference.

5697825180_259975bc46_z.jpg

Each model comes with a boat. This one is a little yellow dinghy with an outboard motor, and I think it’s rather cute. I also like the 1x3 yellow cheese/grill parts, as I’m not familiar with them. (mmmm grilled cheese....)

5697230517_fe1625f041_z.jpg

The underside of the boat shows the blue 2x2 rounded plate that makes the boat wobbly. Here you can also see that the propeller is pearlised silver.

5697807200_19f45665f5_z.jpg

A better view of the top of the dinghy:

5697808750_e5ddd81ab2_z.jpg

With the set built, these few parts are left over:

5697817036_c699e9e2e1_z.jpg

Secondary Build - Lifeboat Boat-house

Onto the secondary build, as yet unnamed, so I’m going to call it the Lifeboat Boat-house.

There is a smaller footprint for the building, and, although slightly different from the primary build, you can see the fish-stealing sea-birds remain. There’s a little garden, and the propeller serves as either a decorative windmill, or an eco-friendly wind-turbine to generate power for the Light Brick?

The Light Brick in this build is used to light the lamp over the doorway by Grundy’s head. It works nicely, but seems to be just a way to incorporate this much vaunted feature.

5697273085_c3190e3a64_z.jpg

The boat sits inside the boathouse; here’s the same view without the boat:

5697849740_6432484d3c_z.jpg

From the front you can see that the inside is actually a boat launch, with nowhere for Grundy to fry his fish or heat his tea :sceptic: There’s an attractive life-preserver sign over the front, and effective use of trans-orange 1x1 studs to make a “lighted” lanchway.

5697852056_4dd6ce3c8e_z.jpg

The left side shows nice use of the 2x5 trans-clear bricks, to create a glass wall, but unfortunately the back half of the boathouse appears to be built over water :sceptic: Not too stable really.... The green cone is pressed, and by virtue of a Technic axle, lights the Light Brick and thus the door lamp.

5697854090_57331f7daf_z.jpg

The back view shows a handle to the left, and another Technic mechanism in the middle, which form this model’s play feature: a rather ineffectual boat-launching mechanism. You turn the handle and the boat surges forward about a centimetre. It’s a nice idea, though. Maybe I’m just not being forceful enough?

5697281005_de897d5aa7_z.jpg

This angle shows the handle more clearly, and shows the grubby garden area. This isn’t my favourite model of the three.

5697282757_cc2331ba69_z.jpg

The boat for this model, however, is the largest of the three, and has the most detail. It is a well realised rescue boat, with its own life-preserver and railing, making use again of the skeleton feet.

5697829916_a0c7f461cf_z.jpg

It’s similar on both sides, with an attachment for the binoculars to the right.

5697831616_21e91f4b26_z.jpg

Two smaller windows provide a windshield, and the boat is nicely streamlined. With two trans-yellow 1x1 plates the boat’s lights are formed. The railings can be a little fiddly, though :blush:

5697858264_4fa970a289_z.jpg

Grundy’s off to save the day on the stormy seas!

5697833254_ced1e3f0fe_z.jpg

Once the secondary model is built, there are a number of pieces remaining.

5697846196_f4f271057e_z.jpg

Tertiary Build - Fish Cafe

Finally, I present, the tertiary build, also as yet unnamed, so I’ve decided on Seafront Fish Cafe. Or Fish Cafe. Or Yum! Kippers!. Well, I haven’t decided, but it’s clearly some sort of eatery serving fish.

5697870596_bb6bbd0479_z.jpg

There’s clearly a cafe table with an umbrella, plus a menu outside the doorway, and a fish sign on the roof. The sign makes clever use of the yellow life-preserver part.

5697303169_ab79799024_z.jpg

The corners of this build use the macaroni parts in an inverted orientation, giving a coving effect to the edges. You can just about see the fish grill inside the cafe. There’s a little mini-pier and a docking area for the boat, plus a little garden area to the side. The sea birds are back :hmpf_bad:

5697872278_a0297b9288_z.jpg

The back shows the four little windows, and to me is reminiscent of a railway car, or a diner. Or a railway dining car :sceptic:

5697285729_6ab3cc3a02_z.jpg

The brown stud is there to allow the back to be opened easily. Inside, there is a better view of the fish grill and how the Light Brick has been placed in order to make the grill light up. You can also see how the 2x5 trans-clear bricks are used to make a full-length glass frontage, with Grundy beyond.

5697873842_ff79168835_z.jpg

Here’s a better view of the fish grill/ Light Brick combo. It works very effectively, and it’s a good way to use the play feature in this model. There are (mercifully) no Technic pieces in this model. Before I get into trouble: I like Technic, but I haven’t built with it since my school days, and I find it fiddly, it’s just a personal preference.

5697305353_850972c3a9_z.jpg

The left side is a little plain, but here you can better see the little seating area made with red macaroni pieces and that a lookout is made using the binoculars.

5697301275_ac87fb51e0_z.jpg

The boat for this model includes some of the ignored Technic pieces, using them to cleverly create a mast.

5697287605_baf4ee2682_z.jpg

This is probably my favourite boat. I can’t quite put my finger on why, but it might be because it represents recreation more than the others, and it’s a sweet little sailboat, plus it doesn’t have a steering wheel, and so is a little aimless (unless you can find some sails).

5697863082_3acef4fe2a_z.jpg

As Grundy sails off into the sunset....

5697864370_389906434d_z.jpg

...quite a lot of parts are left over.

5697869268_bd8791821b_z.jpg

Conclusion

All three builds were highly enjoyable, and to me reminiscent of the Log Cabin, but more interesting. The frame on which the plates are seated can be a little fragile and annoying before being stabilised by the addition of the plates, but then every LEGO set recommends you build on a firm, flat surface (:blush: I may not have consistently done so) and you can pick up blue baseplates at LEGO shops and TRU usually, so the lack of a baseplate in this set doesn’t bother me much, really. For the price, it really does seem to represent good value, common to CREATOR sets compared with other themes.

Design – 9/10 overall, this is a great set with three interesting and different models, all with their own use of the Light Brick, and the three would look pleasant if displayed together, or individually. The use of the macaroni pieces to provide curved walls in all three structures is just lovely, and all three models are recognisable and functional.

Build – 8/10 each build is interesting and varied; building the base-frames can be frustrating, and I found the Technic bits fiddly, but neither so much as to detract from enjoying the builds. Whilst building the lighthouse tower may look as though it’s just brick-on-brick, there’s surprisingly more to it as you add in the Technic mechanism, and the sense of satisfaction when it’s built is great. The Lifeboat Boat-house is the least interesting build, but as mentioned has the most interesting boat, and it would still be a useful addition to a Town with a harbour. The structure is made more interesting by the use of the macaroni pieces, but compared with the Lighthouse (or even the Fish Cafe), it falls a little flat. Were it not for the other two builds with which to compare it, it would still be a great model, though. Although it is the smallest and simplest build, I was really quite enamoured with the Fish Cafe when finished, and thoroughly enjoyed the build. There are some nice details, like the light-up grill, and again, it would fit well in a Riviera scene. Although it doesn’t have a play-feature per se, I still think it is more playable than the Lifeboat Boathouse.

Parts – 8/10 there are some interesting smaller parts, and plenty of red and white macaroni. The minifig is slightly more interesting than those with the other CREATOR sets, and of course there’s the Light Brick!

Playability – 8/10 great playability with the Lighthouse lamp, for a while; equally, the boat-launch in the Lifeboat Boathouse is diverting for a short while. All three models have ships with them, though, and it is easy to imagine stories and scenes being set up using those – ships in peril, daring rescues in rough seas, a relaxing fish supper after a day’s yachting..

Price – 9/10 for the beauty of the models, and the interesting features, I really do think this represents great value and am tempted to pick up another set to have both the Lighthouse Island and the Fish Cafe built together.

Overall 85%

The lighthouse is a beautiful model to look at and the curved corners are just :wub: with the upcoming Harbour sets in Town, this will provide a welcome addition; indeed a small amount of MOCing (to add the aaargh factor) could incorporate this into the Pirates’ theme, to keep their beautiful galleons safe as they come in to port for rum and wenching. All in all, this is a great set, and is likely to remain built in one form or another for a good while yet.

5697307077_aac7830efc_z.jpg

Comments and opinions are most welcome.

Edited by Pandora
Indexed

Nice review Pandora. I especially like that you gave a small review on the three models (Since it's a Creator set :tongue:). I can't wait for more reviews made by you.

Nice! I'm sure I'll get this one eventually.

Where would the stickers be applied, if you'd applied them? Do they cover multiple pieces? The light brick itself?

Thanks for the review 'Pandora'

All of the models you can make with this set are really great but I'm not that impressed with the Lifeboat boat house. It just dosnt look right to me. However the Café is actually quite nice. very cozy.

You know what, I'm might buy two of this set just so I can build the café aswell default_laugh_new.gif

Awesome pictures Pandora. Having just reviewed this set myself in the Town forum yesterday, it's really interesting to read your thoughts and see your images. This is a very nice review of a fantastic set. I didn't try building any of the other alternate models yet. Although I still like the lighthouse the best, the boathouse is pretty nice and your pictures compliment it well. The Fish Cafe looks better than the image on the box.

Great review! :wub:

Nice review Pandora. I especially like that you gave a small review on the three models (Since it's a Creator set :tongue:). I can't wait for more reviews made by you.

That's very kind, Roodaksta, thank you.

Nice! I'm sure I'll get this one eventually.

Where would the stickers be applied, if you'd applied them? Do they cover multiple pieces? The light brick itself?

The stickers don't cover multiple pieces, however they are placed on parts which are reused and visible in the Secondary and Tertiary builds, so you'd either have to take them off again (not great) or not mind that bits of roof or boat are mirrored. The other option is to get a second set in which you leave the stickers off, but that's expensive.

Here's a picture of the instruction booklet to show where they are applied. As I mentioned, the handle at the back makes this part spin round.

5699369363_9e368ef22d.jpg

The Light Brick is placed above, at the top of the glass-sided housing, and is illuminated by pressing on the Technic axle that pokes out the very top of the model. Here's another pic from the instructions showing how the light brick is sited.

5699943238_d1c122cff1.jpg

Thanks for the review 'Pandora'

All of the models you can make with this set are really great but I'm not that impressed with the Lifeboat boat house. It just dosnt look right to me. However the Café is actually quite nice. very cozy.

You know what, I'm might buy two of this set just so I can build the café aswell default_laugh_new.gif

Thanks The Yellow Brick. I absolutely agree, the cafe is very nearly my favourite build, too.

Great review. Despite this being a decent set, I think this year's Creator line is one of the weakest I've seen. I can't tell you why, but I just don't like it. BTW, what do you mean by 1x5 bricks? Are there actually 1x5 bricks, or is it just a typo?

Thanks for the great review, Pandora!

This set is very good. I love how the Creator sets have 3 seperate builds. The Lighthouse and Fish Cafe are both excellent, but I don't really like the boat house. The interiors are too empty I think, but Creator sets have never really had interiors. The play features seem quite good, especially the Light brick as the grill. Could you possibly post a photo of it lit up, please?

Thanks again for the great review!

Thanks a lot to Pandora for the awesome review - the detailed pictures of the two alternate models are particularly helpful as they are harder to find. :thumbup:

I usually buy houses in the Creator line and quite frankly, a few of the house models are similar and getting boring to me. It's really nice to see how Creator incorporates different type of buildings like this set. I have to get either this lighthouse or the hillside house with my limited budget, and I think I'll go with this one.

I don't know why but at almost every Creator set, a prefer the second or the third alternate, and almost never the primary set. In that case, I love the lifeboat house!

Uhm, the remaining parts for the 2nd and 3rd model has the same photo, or I just don't see the difference?

Edited by Yooha

Awesome pictures Pandora. Having just reviewed this set myself in the Town forum yesterday, it's really interesting to read your thoughts and see your images. This is a very nice review of a fantastic set. I didn't try building any of the other alternate models yet. Although I still like the lighthouse the best, the boathouse is pretty nice and your pictures compliment it well. The Fish Cafe looks better than the image on the box.

Great review! :wub:

Thank you so much Brickster! I think I cross-posted with you earlier. It's interesting to hear the thoughts of others who've built the set too, as you say. I'd already got a good way into doing this when I read your great review, so I thought I'd crack on anyway.

Great review. Despite this being a decent set, I think this year's Creator line is one of the weakest I've seen. I can't tell you why, but I just don't like it. BTW, what do you mean by 1x5 bricks? Are there actually 1x5 bricks, or is it just a typo?

Thanks prateek, and sorry I didn't make it clear that they were 1x1x5 bricks in black (and there are 1x2x5 trans-clear bricks):

5699996293_8f37577851_m.jpg5700566328_57182c531c_m.jpg

Thanks for the great review, Pandora!

This set is very good. I love how the Creator sets have 3 seperate builds. The Lighthouse and Fish Cafe are both excellent, but I don't really like the boat house. The interiors are too empty I think, but Creator sets have never really had interiors. The play features seem quite good, especially the Light brick as the grill. Could you possibly post a photo of it lit up, please?

Thanks again for the great review!

Thanks Gregorovich!

The play features seem quite good, especially the Light brick as the grill. Could you possibly post a photo of it lit up, please?

Here you go, with and without fish!

5700516314_2296ab6b2c_m.jpg5699941927_53fc0e77fe_m.jpg

I had to use a Technic spindle to keep the button pressed for the photo; in real life, you have to use your finger!

Thanks a lot to Pandora for the awesome review - the detailed pictures of the two alternate models are particularly helpful as they are harder to find. :thumbup:

I usually buy houses in the Creator line and quite frankly, a few of the house models are similar and getting boring to me. It's really nice to see how Creator incorporates different type of buildings like this set. I have to get either this lighthouse or the hillside house with my limited budget, and I think I'll go with this one.

Thank you otterlily! I was pleasantly surprised at how diverse the alternate builds were in this set. Both 5770 and 5771 are great sets (but I prefer this one!)

I don't know why but at almost every Creator set, a prefer the second or the third alternate, and almost never the primary set. In that case, I love the lifeboat house!

Uhm, the remaining parts for the 2nd and 3rd model has the same photo, or I just don't see the difference?

As I've said, I think my favourite is becoming the cafe (3rd model) as it has a nice relaxing atmosphere.

You are quite correct about the photo :blush:, thanks for spotting that, I've changed it now!

Thank you for very nice review Pandora.

Thank you Stardusty!

Thanks for this very detailed review, Pandora! :blush:

While I love the primary model, I don't know what it is about the secondary ones that makes me adore them as well. Perhaps it's the drought of civilian based sets for a long time, but I want to guy 3-4 copies of this set so that I can have all the models built at once and upgrade the main lighthouse.

Thanks for taking the time to do this in-depth review review and covering all the models in this set!

You did a wonderful job reviewing this set! I really prefer in-depth reviews better and your review matches my liking perfectly! Can't wait for more reviews from you!

Edited by Nav

Hello!

Another great review of this fantastic set! :classic:

Now I have to buy the set twice. Or better would be three times to build all the nice alternatives you have shown here. :classic: My favourite is the boathuse with the cute lifeboat. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Great review! I didn't know the windows for the lighthouse used such unusual pieces.

I'm in love with the Fish Cafe though I see it as more of a down-to-earth Grilled Fish Shack. It has a nice welcoming atmosphere without feeling pretentious. I can picture it in my mind. A humble eatery with good simple food.

The creative uses for those macaroni pieces were quite clever.

I'm glad you decided to finish this review. It is nice to read about another perspective.

I just finished the boathouse. I think it's better than the pictures portray.

Fantastic, thorough review!

Love this set! I don't normally buy Creator sets but his one has a wonderful feel to it and can look nice as a display model too, IMO.

Keep up these reviews...love them.

Have you applied the silver stickers to reflect more light? I think they'd help alot. Let us fans know...;)

Edited by LegoDad42

Awesome review to have a chance to view all 3 builds. :wub:

Looks like you have a talent for doing reviews and you ought to sign up for the Reviewers Academy course since it will be a breeze for you. :tongue:

Seriously, thank you for sharing this reviwew with us. It is very beneficial and helpful to all of us who aren't sure whether to get this set or not.

Thanks so much for this beautiful review.

I will buy three of this sets :wub: .

Can't wait to find them in the stores.

I believe we have to wait until mid june when they come available here in Germany.

Thanks again! Great job. :thumbup:

Ralph

Thanks again everyone for your replies, and I'm really glad you enjoyed seeing the alternate builds as I really think they are great features of the set.

Have you applied the silver stickers to reflect more light? I think they'd help alot. Let us fans know...;)

It's still currently in the Fish Cafe incarnation, and when I do rebuild the Lighthouse (and I know I will!) I don't really want to put the stickers on as they would be visible on the alternate builds. It'd have been nicer if LEGO had provided two extra pieces to put the stickers on so that it wouldn't matter, but I doubt they'd do that :sad:

Awesome review to have a chance to view all 3 builds. :wub:

Looks like you have a talent for doing reviews and you ought to sign up for the Reviewers Academy course since it will be a breeze for you. :tongue:

Seriously, thank you for sharing this reviwew with us. It is very beneficial and helpful to all of us who aren't sure whether to get this set or not.

Thank you Fangy! And thanks for the co-frontpage! I am actually very interested in joining the Reviewers Academy, as I know I could learn a lot from the great Teachers there - the only thing really stopping me is lack of enough free time. I may yet sign up, but thanks for the encouragement in the meantime!

Thanks again everyone!

Wow Pandora, you sure have Rufus' excellent reviewing skills, this is really an impressive take on this Creator set. :thumbup: I love the crisp pictures as well as the presentation of the two alternate builds. The lighthouse is still the best model for me, followed by the Fish Cafe and lastly the Lifeboat House.

Wow Pandora, you sure have Rufus' excellent reviewing skills

I can assure you this is all Pandora's own work. She's more of a perfectionist than I am :look:

Great review.

I do love the look of this set. So much so that I may have accidentally stopped by the local TRU (hey, it's not my fault it's between me and pretty much anywhere I might ever want to go) and picked one up this evening. Can't wait to get building! :classic:

Pandora your pictures are amazing, I loved the review and was wondering if anyone has approached you about the Reviewers Academy? I think you'd find it to be not that tough with your already impressive reviews.

If you're interested stop by here.