Dazmundo

Review 852676 Multi Game Pack

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

We picked one of these up at Legoland Windsor last week and as far as I can see there isn't a review on here so I thought I would do my first ever review of this set.

S8304329.jpg

Set Data

Name: Lego Travel Game

Theme: Board Games

Number: 852676

Year: 2009

Pieces: 137

Minifigures: 0

Price: GBP:17.59,USD:24.99 (Although we only paid £9.99)

Brickset

The Box

You can see the box closed above. It gives a good idea of what the box contains and lists all the different games that can be played with the parts inside.

The lid fastens with Velcro dots and when you open it up this is what you see.

S8304330.jpg

As you can see the box is divided into two the left hand side holds two gaming boards and the right has all the playing pieces.

I have spread the parts out so that you can see the whole inventory of what you get

S8304331.jpg

The Games

The cardboard game boards fit into the blue foam frames and then a clear 16x16 plate fits on top allowing you to see the board through the plate but giving you the ability to attach your pieces, essential for a travel game.

You can see that there is a hole in the bottom of the blue frame to make popping the boards out easy.

The games you can play with this set are:-

Chess

Draughts (Checkers)

Backgammon

Snakes & Ladders (Firemens Hoses & Ladders)

Ludo

Solitaire

Car Bingo (6 boards so 3 pairs)

The whole 9in1 is a bit of a cheat when 3 of the 9 are just different boards for the car Bingo! but more on that later.

The instructions for each game are on the back of the board, which seems like a good idea until you want to check the rules half way through a game. Not too much of an issue as the pieces are fastened to the clear plate not the actual board but it does involve you taking the plate & board out of the blue frame.

The Playing Pieces

There are set pieces for the different games with some pieces used for more than one game.

Chess

S8304339.jpg

- The black and white cones make up your pawns but the main playing pieces have a bit more personality

Black

S8304333.jpg

Clearly supposed to be the evil team with Skeletons for Bishops and Orcs for Knights.

White

S8304334.jpg

The good guys with happy smiling figures

I was surprised to find that the heads of all the playing pieces are attached to the cone pieces with a metal bar (You can just about make it out on top of the Castles in the birds eye view shot above). I assume this is so that there is no chance of the pieces coming to bits during play.

Draughts - Unsurprisingly you use the same pieces as you used as Pawns for Chess

Backgammon

S8304336.jpg

- There are a large number of small 1x1 cylinder pieces in red and blue as the pieces for this

Snakes & Ladders

S8304338.jpg

- 4 more special figures for this game

S8304332.jpg

Policeman, Builder, Fireman, Thief.

As you may be able to see from the bottom of the instructions, there are a few other special squares on the board other than Hoses & Ladders to fit with the other three character playing pieces.

Ludo

S8304337.jpg

- The Chess teams are split into two for this giving you four teams two black & two white, King, Queen & Bishops v Knights & Castles.

I've not played this yet so I'm not sure how confusing it will be having two teams with the same colour, especially when the board is set up as Blue, Green, Yellow, & Red

Solitaire

S8304340.jpg

- This again makes use of our 1x1 cylinders but just the blue ones this time. There are more blue ones so you can't play solitaire with red as there are not enough.

Car Bingo

S8304335.jpg

- Black & White cones again. I was quite surprised to see that there are 6 playing boards but only 3 different designs, the idea being that you and your opponent play the same board. I guess this is so that no one can blame their board for not winning. The 3 different boards are designed to be played in different areas so you have

1.On the move

2.Inner city

3.Countryside

Conclusion

Design: 9/10

Price: 7/10 (8/10 for the price I paid)

Playing Pieces: 9/10

Playability: 9/10

Overall: 8/10

I was really pleased with this, It will be living in our Camper Van so that we have a choice of games to play in the evenings while my daughter is asleep.

Please let me know what you think of my first attempt at a review.

D

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Not bad for your first review Dazmundo! And thanks for sharing this rare multi-game pack, which I wouldn't have known if not for this review. It's quite nice to see how LEGO games developed through the past couple of years, from this earlier version with simple parts and unoriginal games to the current ones featuring fresh and original concepts and newer pieces (especially the unique LEGO die).