Athos

D2C Contest: The Cairo Bazaar

Join Jack Raines as he and his companions explore the exotic Cairo bazaar:

bazaar.jpg

Jack visits the blacksmith who can repair your tools for digging in the desert and sharpen your weapons for battling mummies:

bazaarsmith.jpg

Mac inquires of the old imam to learn the secret to defeat the minions of Am-set Ra:

bazaarimam.jpg

Helena enjoys a refreshing drink of water from the well before stocking up on exotic wares and vital supplies at the market:

bazaarmarket.jpg

Stow the supplies in the rugged truck for transport back to the dig site:

bazaartruck.jpg

Once all the work is done, the last stop is the wayfarer's Inn, where beautiful belly dancers serve a tasty meal on the roof, but beware the monkeys, they will steal anything:

bazaarinn.jpg

About the creation: This entry is purposefully not nearly as large or elaborate as other entries. As the contest was to design a D2C set, I really tried to make this set look and feel like an official Lego creation. I used the Medieval Market Village and Diagon Alley as guides and templates for a D2C set. Thus, the construction techniques are pretty basic, without much SNOT work or tiling, as you would find in an official Lego set. There are not a significant number of play features, as D2C sets tend to be more directed at AFOLs. Though, as you can see in the pictures, each building has an interior with some minimal furnishings. As an homage to the original Adventurers line, the truck design borrows heavily from the truck in Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins. As official Lego sets tend not to include excessive numbers of large or specialized pieces, the set only includes one camel. I did not count the pieces, but would guess there are around 1000 there. Using the $.10/piece ratio, I would place the cost of this set between $99.99 and $149.99.

You can see more photos in the flickr gallery and I may post some more as time permits.

Steve

A great idea though I feel it lacks the "wow" factor that the D2C sets tend to have.

It's hard to find that fine line between too much ( like my entries) and not enough for a D2C set as well as keeping the official LEGO look.

Good luck in the comp, though I think you need to change those multi up photos as per the rules default_blink.gif

Very well done entry Athos! This may not be as extravagant as the others, but this is certainly one of the few entries that fit the 'potential LEGO set' look perfectly. I really like the combination of the various elements you've put in here - three mini-buildings/structures to go with the truck, camel, and the minifig line-up - its like the MMV of PQ. Good job and good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

Looks great and would be a good fit for a D2C set IMO although you could expand the inn and add some rooms to stay on the upper level.

Very nice entry, I realy prefer the idea of getting so many smaller parts, which can then be put together as a whole to having just one big thing. This adds a lot to the playability and variations you can set up the look of the bazaar. Also getting so many weapons, tools, other items and minifigs is a feature of D2Cs. I just don't understand the minifig count beeing 9, while I can always count 11 in the first picture?

Edited by MstrOfPppts

I just don't understand the minifig count beeing 9, while I can always count 11 in the first picture?

Oops, I forgot to count the guys in the market stalls... :blush:

Steve

Very Nice! It could be a real D2C set, an it's an original approach! And I like the fact that it's not so big, my contest entry is going to be a lot bigger (and I hope not to big :sceptic: )

One of my favroute entries. Some nice concept there and the cast is very nice. I've spied some rare pieces there put to good use, good luck in the contest! :classic:

PQ MMV! I like this entry. On first glance, the walls did look a little bland, more like a System set, but there isn't really any other way to build that type of wall, so...

Great work.

I like this, quite a bit. I think the other entries are too huge and piece-consuming for even a D2C set, but I can totally see this as a real LEGO set. Heck, I can see myself buying this! :tongue:

Great work, Athos! This is a really great entry. It's full of fantastic details, but not so many that it would never become a set. If this were released, and if it wasn't insanely expensive, I'd definetely get this! Well done, and good luck!