21009 - Farnsworth House

FrontView.png

Set Name: 21009 Farnsworth House

Theme: Architecture

Released: 2011

Pieces: 534

Minifigs: 0

Price: $59.99/549.95DKK

I was visiting the LEGO brand store in Copenhagen today and was surprised to see this set on the shelve. I was not expecting to see it for another couple of week. From the image at LEGO's website i had guessed it was the Farnsworth House so it was not a big surprise.

Box:

P1110137.JPG

P1110139.JPG

The box is not very big, 20x26x7cm, but it is thicker than normal boxes. When you open it the is packed with bricks and that goes well with the new 'smaller box' idea.

It opens up like the Fallingwater box and only have one sticker to keep it closed. I like the way these boxes are.

Manual:

I was hoping for a spiral back manual like Fallingwater but instead it was a normal glued back. There is 9 pages with information about the house and the architect, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.

P1110140.JPG

P1110141.JPG

Build:

The build was pretty straight forward. Nothing hard, expect there is 238 1x1 tiles... It looks really nice at the picture but it is really hard to place them so they are aligned correctly.

You start by building the base. Then move on to the patio and then the house itself.

P1110146.JPG

P1110145.JPG

P1110144.JPG

P1110143.JPG

P1110142.JPG

P1110133.JPG

P1110135.JPG

Rating:

Build: 5/10 - Because of all the small 1x1 tiles the build become very boring at some point.

Design: 10/10 - The design is mind blowing. The designer Adam Reed Tucker is extremely good with all the small details and the interior is perfect.

Parts: 8/10 - It is really nice with 12 dark green plates and there are many good white parts and a lot of different tiles.

Playability: 0/10 - This set is not for playing but a set you need to have on display.

Price: 8/10 - I haven't really though of the price. The architecture sets are expensive but the design and display value makes it worth it.

Total: 9/10 - This set is really awesome. I have alway liked architecture and this set is just blowing me away. I though Fallingwater was awesome but this is way better!

Post updated with much better image quality!

Edited by Drudoo
Indexed

Thanks for sharing. Can you please resize your images first??? They are currently as of above 800x600 and I will need you to resize first.

Please refer to this tutorial in case you don't know how.

Thanks for telling me! I had the wrong image url posted (to the original images) it is fixed now with the right size of 800x600.

Is that a custom green plate with water line?

Ive slowly got most of the Architect series and this one looks great... another nice treat.

We just need to have the Planet space ship launching out the back.

I think it's a very good choice for an architectural set, but in my opinion the columns are way too thick. One of the principles of Mies's architecture are slender columns and details, and these columns seem out of proportion. Maybe a combination of theseand these would have been a better solution.

Thanks for telling me! I had the wrong image url posted (to the original images) it is fixed now with the right size of 800x600.

Thank you! :sweet:

Is that a custom green plate with water line?

Ive slowly got most of the Architect series and this one looks great... another nice treat.

We just need to have the Planet space ship launching out the back.

It is not a custom plate. It is just my shadow while taking the picture =P

The base is made of 12 dark green 6x10 plates.

I think it's a very good choice for an architectural set, but in my opinion the columns are way too thick. One of the principles of Mies's architecture are slender columns and details, and these columns seem out of proportion. Maybe a combination of theseand these would have been a better solution.

If you look at the actual building i think the 1x1 brick works pretty good.

They could have done it your way since it is not supporting any part of the building.

It's a nice, modern house with clean lines... but as a LEGO set, it's like they're not even trying anymore.

Wow. I can't get over how many base plates it uses. :lol: Great review!

So far, I've only built the Space Needle set, but I've picked up Falling Water and Rockefeller center, as well. Depending on when I have some extra funds, I might pick this one up, too. :grin:

Edited by Taaron

wow this looks fantastic, I'm really surprised about the interior and makes me want this even more!

Thanks for the review! :classic:

Hi!

First, very good review and good job :thumbup: Now,my grandfather is (now retired) architect. I've been thinking for along time now that I would like to buy him one of these sets (or more if he likes it) Do you think that would be a good idea to buy him something from this theme? :thumbup::thumbdown: ?

Thanks!

Edited by Silverface

Many thanks for the review !

I like the Architecture sets and have most of them. I have to say, however, that the thought of having to place over 230 1x1 tiles on this model fills me with dread. They're just so hard to get neatly aligned ! I can't see past the tedious build I'm afraid, and thus will probably pass on this set.

D.

Edited by drdavewatford

Hi!

First, very good review and good job :thumbup: Now,my grandfather is (now retired) architect. I've been thinking for along time now that I would like to buy him one of these sets (or more if he likes it) Do you think that would be a good idea to buy him something from this theme? :thumbup::thumbdown: ?

Thanks!

Get this set or Fallingwater! I have only seen great interest from architects in this theme.

Many thanks for the review !

I like the Architecture sets and have most of them. I have to say, however, that the thought of having to place over 230 1x1 tiles on this model fills me with dread. They're just so hard to get neatly aligned ! I can't see past the tedious build I'm afraid, and thus will probably pass on this set.

D.

I am glad you like the review =D

I was trying to align them correctly at the beginning but skipped it and just placed them. When looking at the set from most angles it is impossible to see if they are aligned or not.

If you have other sets from the theme then i think it would be a shame to pass on this set. It is truly a great building.

Great review! I loved all of the architecture sets that I got, so I'm probably going to get this one as well.

It's a very interesting set! :thumbup: Architecture sets are always fascinating - unfortunately, it is not available in Canada, though. :wacko:

Nice Review, that's for sure, but to be honest i do not like the set. I own the fallingwater and I like it, but this one simply i don't get it... kind of strange i find it

Thanks for sharing, anyway :classic:

Better pictures now.... and interesting to note the 'architecture' tab on the S@H themes section shows the Farnsworth building, but still no listing.

Better pictures now.... and interesting to note the 'architecture' tab on the S@H themes section shows the Farnsworth building, but still no listing.

Same with the Cars theme (not duplo) and the lego minifigures series 4, strange. Btw great review.

Oh man you spent 60 bucks on this? That hurts :(

I love the architecture series, they just seem to be majorly overpriced for no real reason other having a sturdier box.

Edited by k_peek_2000

I would gladly spend $60 on this set, but only for the pieces. Although the number of pieces for the price is not too impressive, it has so many dark green plates and white tiles. The design of the set is rather typical and plain.

Nice. I just heard about this set last week, and it's already out! :laugh:

The set is okay, but it's kinda random as I've never heard of it. It is a nice parts pack, but the interior of the house is amazing! :thumbup:

Typical of what?

I think it's quite typical of any Lego builder attempting to recreate a flat building like this. Unlike some other Lego Architecture sets, which use some different techniques with curved bricks, half-stud offsets, and a mix of exposed studs and covered studs, you could expect that this set might just be designed by an ordinary fan of Lego.

But I'm not complaining, because it definitely captures the simple and clean look of the original house!

I have to say, however, that the thought of having to place over 230 1x1 tiles on this model fills me with dread. They're just so hard to get neatly aligned !

One trick would be to use a plate element as a straighening guide when laying down the tiles. Then use a brick separator to quickly shift the plate over for the next row. That's what I did on my Trump World Tower model. Trying to align them by hand proved to be fruitless.

Edited by Spencer_R