Lord Of Pies

TUTORIAL How to resize pictures using MS Paint

How to resize pictures using MS Paint

For those who are to lazy to download fancy software!

I know that we already have a thread on how to resize pictures using MS paint, but this is in English and the last one was posted some 2 years ago. Also this one has added pirate sets. :wink:

Anyway on with the tutorial!

Despite being pretty primitive compared to say photoshop or over fancy-dancy programmes, MSpaint is readily available on all Windows computers, so you don't have to spend a lot of money on other programmes. Also it is very simple to use so those (like me) who are technologically impaired can use it.

Click on Start, all programmes, accessories and then paint

howtoresize1.jpg

Proceed to file and then open and your horrifically large image will appear.

After that, click on image and then attributes. This box should open:

howtoresize3.jpg

This is how large your image is at the moment, shown in width and height. This is important as later on you will have to decide how small you want your image to be.

Now you know how huge your image is click press OK and again press image, stretch/skew

howtoresize2.jpg

This box will open:

howtoresize4.jpg

Enter in "20" and "20" (Or whatever percentage you want) and the image will shrink to 20 percent of it's original size. (Mine was originally 2560 by 1923 but I shrunk it down to 20% of its original size to 512 by 384)

Click OK once you have entered in the percentages.

The image will now look like this:

howtoresize5.jpg

(Yes it isn't one of my best photos, but I didn't have any that weren't resized already :hmpf: )

And their you have it! The image has been resized and is ready to be uploaded to an image hosting site and posted on to Eurobricks for all to admire!

If any of you have a question just ask and I will attempt to answer it. Also please point out any horrible mistakes I have made.

Nice work Lord of Pies.

I've added it to the Tutorial Index

(Yes it isn't one of my best photos, but I didn't have any that weren't resized already :hmpf: )

Show-off :tongue:

Staudie.

I have a mac does it have MS Paint?

Nope.

Not unless you're using the x-version of windows for Mac.

MS does stand for Microsoft...

Thank you, how very helpful. Now I don't have to download a posh programme while I save up for photoshop.

Nope.

Not unless you're using the x-version of windows for Mac.

MS does stand for Microsoft...

oh Dangit i'll just have to find another way. :cry_sad:

I have a mac does it have MS Paint?

Use I-photo. It practically runs itself. It's very easy to learn...

And Linux has clones like KolourPaint (KDE) that work well if you are used to MS Paint :wink:

I would like to add a tip for MS Paint: Use Keyboard Shortcuts.

Ctrl+W: Stretch (gives you the stretch menu with the %-inputs)

Ctrl+E: Attributes (gives you the menu where you can input the size)

Ctrl+R: Mirror (gives you the menu where you can mirror/rotate the picture)

Ctrl+C: Copy (If you have a selection marked, this will be copied to the system clipboard)

Ctrl+V: Paste (Insert the picture from the clipboard)

Ctrl+Z: Undo

Ctrl+S To save

Alt+F4 Close MSPaint

To resize for a specific size is not easy in MSPaint, but I'm using it all the time because my own program isn't finished yet.

Here is a typical scenario where I want to resize a couple of pictures:

1: Select the pictures You want to resize in Explorer (where you view files).

2: Right click or press the special popup-menu button to show the popup menu (This button is often located near right Ctrl on your keyboard)

3: Choose "Edit" (Press E) MSPaint will start for each picture

4: Ctrl+W, 40, Tab, 40, Enter (I often have to resize to 40% of the original size for a crop in the wanted size to look good)

5: Use the Mark-function (dashed rectangle) tool to find a good crop

6: Ctrl+Z (picture is often not the right size)

7: Ctrl+W, 38, Tab, 38, Enter (Retry with a different size)

8: Use the Mark-function tool to find a good crop and press Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V to move this to the top-left of the picture.

9: Ctrl+E, 800, Tab, 600, Enter (Resize, in this case to 800 x 600)

10: Ctrl+S, Alt+F4 (Save and exit, now repeat with the next picture)

This is by far the fastest way to use MSPaint (XP version and earlier) once you get used to keyboard shortcuts.

I apoligize for what would aper as a blantent disregared for the 800 by 600 roul on imiges, but I resize the immiges before I put them on brickshelf but someware betwene My computer and Classic Pirates thay keep jummping back to a larger size. What am I dooing rong?

I just tryed to resize them agene and now thay wont uplode to brikshelf. help.

Edited by lego fox

Make sure you save them after resizing them. Delete the old ones on BS and put the new ones there.

I get to the end of the steps but the picture "frame" is the only thing smaller in the end. Help?

edit: I need the pictures resized for the PoP contest. Someone help!!

Edited by sologuy369

I get to the end of the steps but the picture "frame" is the only thing smaller in the end. Help?

edit: I need the pictures resized for the PoP contest. Someone help!!

Sorry but I don't get your problem: do you follow all the steps and in the end get a cropped out section of the original photo? Is that what you mean?

I tried the method with both the plain white Paint background (no image loaded) and a big .jpg photo, and it works just fine for me.

If you still can't make it work, and need the resized images soon, you can try the other (online) pics resizing tutorial from our indexes.

LuxorV

Sorry but I don't get your problem: do you follow all the steps and in the end get a cropped out section of the original photo? Is that what you mean?

I tried the method with both the plain white Paint background (no image loaded) and a big .jpg photo, and it works just fine for me.

If you still can't make it work, and need the resized images soon, you can try the other (online) pics resizing tutorial from our indexes.

LuxorV

I tried the site and it works.Pictures resized, BUT when I try to post one a message comes up in the "upload box" File used 90.52K of 100K. ??? :wacko:

Did you by chance already attach any images to your posts in your EB history? The attachments' space has to be limited because of the huge number of members (almost 10000; * extemporary note - wow, we are nearing the size of the Immortals of Persia *).

On the other hand, you can upload all the images you want on sites like Brickshelf, Flickr and so on, and deeplink them from there onto EB.

LuxorV

I have a question about resizing, and I think I can post it here, in the Tutorial topic. Is there any possibility to resize image here, on EuroBricks?

Because Lego Digital Designer screenshots are wider than Eurobricks' topic width.

Edit: Ohh, sorry, I was inattentive and already found the guideline.

Edited by -N13OS-

Wo0w *huh*..Paint!? That's so from the stoneage :tongue: ... either use photoshop or imageshack.us will auto resize when you pick that option. I know people can do amazing things with (MS) Paint but it's such an unnecessary program that's just taking space on my disk since I'm not using it...

I have a question about resizing, and I think I can post it here, in the Tutorial topic. Is there any possibility to resize image here, on EuroBricks?

Because Lego Digital Designer screenshots are wider than Eurobricks' topic width.

Edit: Ohh, sorry, I was inattentive and already found the guideline.

No, you cannot, there is no photo editing inside of the website itself.

Wo0w *huh*..Paint!? That's so from the stoneage :tongue: ... either use photoshop or imageshack.us will auto resize when you pick that option. I know people can do amazing things with (MS) Paint but it's such an unnecessary program that's just taking space on my disk since I'm not using it...

Thanks for not contributing at all. :hmpf_bad: We all have our opinions, but this is a tutorial topic, if ou don't use it why post? Some people can't afford expensive software, so this is a great FREE alternative.

I would also suggest "Picasa" and "gimp" as multiplatform applications that can help in cropping and resizing images to comply with EB site guidelines.

Both of these programs are absolutely free and multi-platform.

I have written a tutorial for using Picasa.

I will write one for GIMP and edit this post with a link as LuxorV has suggested.

Edited by fred67

I know this is a newly revived old topic, but I don't understand why people aren't promoting products like "Picasa" and "gimp."

They aren't promoting them in this thread becasue this is a TUTORIAL, not a general discussion thread on photo editing.

How rude.

As Big Cam already said, please avoid promotion-like posts in general and in others' tutorial in particular.

If anyone's interested, I have no problem writing these kinds of tutorials for GIMP or Picasa, although there's many online already.

If you think these tutorials could be useful to the community, then please do make them in separate topics. And once you are done with them, edit your post here to link to them, would you? Thank you :classic: