Bernie56

I have to ask - Real World Engineers

After just seeing Gioppa, MOC Crane, I have to ask - How many here are real world engineers? The level of detail and mechanical complexity that you folks produce the MOC LEGO stuff makes me wonder.

Edited by Bernie56

After just seeing Gioppa, MOC Crane, I have to ask - How many here are real world engineers? The level of detail and mechanical complexity that you folks produce the MOC LEGO stuff makes me wonder.

I'm an engineer. My first degree is in Electronics and I did an MSc in Safety. I learned most of my mechanical engineering with LEGO!

Real mechanical engineering has a lot more to do with material properties, where LEGO fans usually build with a limited range of materials!

The level of detail applies across topic boundaries.

I also built a Rail Crane, as a scale model of a real one.

With trains I try to make the model work for real, sometimes even more importantly than just how it looks.

I have been able to emulate some real-world hydraulic system operations with LEGO pneumatics

Three of my MOCs have become patent applications for real mechanical things too!

Just shows how good LEGO is as a concept prototyping medium.

Mark

I'm a Mechanical engineer,i work for a packing company,i made the machine for fill bags(concrete,sugar,flour,fertilizer,ABS)and palletizer,and wrapping machine(stretch film wrapper)the machine who made wooden pallet with a pile of bag on it,and cover with plastic film.

I travel in all the world,one costumer is aside of Vestas,and for me is a great emotion when with plane Iwas on the Billund airport....default_laugh_new.gif But i was in march and Legoland was closeddefault_angry.gif .

That was in my Dark age,but in a little piece of my heart someting say LEGOLEGOLEGO!!!

Normally i don't made moc,i don't have the time and the fantasy,i prefere to collect set,build up and keep aside in plastic bag ready for Legofest(in Italy).

But all my friends from ITLUG want a moc from me...and this happend.

Now if somebody for a good price have a 10179,10182and some rail for monorail(not expansive call me)OOOPS OFF TOPIC!!!

Excuse me moderator...default_look.gif

I'm a code monkey, though not a strict one. I have a degree in IT, so while I'd love to say I'm a software engineer, I'm not entirely sure I could be called one. My father is an electrical engineer, though. :)

--Tony

Physicist, Medical Physics... Bio-Engineer specializing in Rehabilitation Engineering (PhD). Jack of many trades (software, mechatronics, product management) - Master of None.

I'm an accountant with a degree in economics but I like to play with simple electronics circuits and I always have LEGO in my life :classic:

Building lego MOCs and learning SNOT technique is a great challenge for me! :wink:

Thanks for the nice topic :laugh:

I'm an accountant with a degree in economics but I like to play with simple electronics circuits and I always have LEGO in my life :classic:

Building lego MOCs and learning SNOT technique is a great challenge for me! :wink:

Thanks for the nice topic :laugh:

Love that layout in your siggy. Still drooling over it.

Edited by Bernie56

I am a physical chemist. I like to blow up things and put the pieces back together - TLC starts with ACN (and chemists made that stuff :hmpf: ), puts that stuff into molds, I take the stuff that comes out of their molds and make new stuff ... no, I am not an engineer, but I guess that was not exactly the question, was it? If it was, I'd claim that so many non-engineers are so talented, it really doesn't matter.

Be the I-can-imagine-it force with you ...

Regards,

Thorsten

I used to be a Landscaper, but now I work with Forklifts and Wagons in a cement factory, I am not an engineer as such but I have used a lot of the things that members make MOC's (vehicle wise) of.

I used to be a Landscaper, but now I work with Forklifts and Wagons in a cement factory, I am not an engineer as such but I have used a lot of the things that members make MOC's (vehicle wise) of.

... and that is a TLC engineer ...

No degree but I've been land-surveyor, cinema projectionist and math teacher before ending up in IT.

Oh, and in my spare time I like to take motorbikes apart when I'm not building with Lego.

No degree but I've been land-surveyor, cinema projectionist and math teacher before ending up in IT.

Oh, and in my spare time I like to take motorbikes apart when I'm not building with Lego.

I'm going to school to be a automotive/mechanical engineer and I'm barely half way there.

I love working with my hands thus I love to work on cars and trucks.

I hope someday I can work on the big diesels in locos.

Legos is one of my favorite hobbies plus I like to tinkering with my computers and electronics in my video games. :grin:

And I'm a railroad engineer (US term), here in Europe, you may call it a traction system manager, or for everyone else, I drive trains.

I'm a youth worker, so dabble in all sorts: second-guessing teenagers moods, trying to persuade them that what we want them to do really is a good idea, drinking far too much tea, engineering opportunities for them (had to get that in to make this post relevant to the topic) and whatever else comes along. Lego challenges are a blessed relief at times!

Andy

Interesting that no architect has responded? Or are LEGO too blase for them compared to what they do in real life?

Interesting that no architect has responded? Or are LEGO too blase for them compared to what they do in real life?

From my experiences, you'd have a hard time finding a gainfully employed architect that has time to play with LEGOs. :laugh:

I'm a Electrical Engineer, also like to play with Lego and messing with the electrics, lights, etc.

Call me sad... :grin:

Thing is, 12V Dc won't kill you 400-6000v does!

I'm a software engineer specializing in distributed application design and development ( read: webmaster). I'd much rather be a railroad engineer. But alas, I'm too old for a career change.

I have a Applied Physics degree, and a degree in Computing and Instrumentation.

I'm a carpenter that has designed many homes for customers and then built them. Not quite an architect but close enough I guess.

And after a long day of construction the last thing I want to do is build lego houses. :tongue:

So I hang out here and build trains. :sweet:

Bel

From my experiences, you'd have a hard time finding a gainfully employed architect that has time to play with LEGOs. :laugh:

Except maybe Adam Reed Tucker.

Edit: Okay (not ok-ey) dokey... I guess I should have said something about me; I have an MSCS with an emphasis on computer graphics and have been programming professionally for going on 20 years.

To answer Tony... I respect that "real" engineers often need to go through certifications that computer programmers don't, so I don't like referring to myself as a software engineer. Of course there are certain certifications people can get, like MCSE, but while valuable to certain employers, most programmers I know consider those kinds of certifications to be somewhat of a joke.

As an example, if an electrical or mechanical engineer, by thoughtless error, causes a U.S. naval vessel to be dead in the water, he'd probably lose his certification... but when Windows NT does it because of a division by zero error, people just shrug.

Edited by fred67

Though, I am not a railway engineer, I want to work on the railway as soon as I graduate from college. I'm thinking either Tyseley Loco Works, or maybe St. Pancras in London.

Huh?