Bernie56

Working on my Track Layout (Directional Lights)

And I realized that frequently, engines get turned around. How can I create a track layout that I can run the loco through and have it straightened out (white lights front and red at the back). Please do not tell me to swap lights out each time :tongue: Thanks

Edited by Bernie56

This is a classical problem. But one easy way would be to test run a train on your layout and adding a loop around where you think your train has been swapped.

He means:

If loco's will be going the other way,

The light turn red at the back and white at the front.

So he is asking:

How can I make the lights change from color,

Without having to switch them every time...??

I hope this helpt...

Mathijs

Surely the easiest way would be to have 2 sets of LEDs per end of train & a couple of switches? That way you could have whites on the front & reds on the back & then when running the other way, press a switch & the red lights are replaced by the white & vice-versa

Surely the easiest way would be to have 2 sets of LEDs per end of train & a couple of switches? That way you could have whites on the front & reds on the back & then when running the other way, press a switch & the red lights are replaced by the white & vice-versa

he doesn't want to switch the each time :)

Let me try it again.

The Loco has white lights at the front (or on its bow using boat terminology) and red lights in the back (aft).

Often times, the loco gets turned around (red is now in front and white is aft). Other than simply decoupling, lifting the loco and placing it white lights in the lead position (so uncool way to do it), is there a more elegant, operationally effective (mimics real life)way to do it with track layout design?

he doesn't want to switch the each time :)

Right. Thanks

Edited by Bernie56

Let me try it again.

The Loco has white lights at the front (or on its bow using boat terminology) and red lights in the back (aft).

Often times, the loco gets turned around (red is now in front and white is aft). Other than simply decoupling, lifting the loco and placing it white lights in the lead position (so uncool way to do it), is there a more elegant, operationally effective (mimics real life)way to do it with track layout design?

mimics real life and not using a loop: train turntables!

lego examples aplenty

Google for more

Hi Bernie,

You need a Balloon Loop or Turning Loop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balloon_loop

I'd like to model this complicated one in New York some day:

150px-Bowling_Green-South_Ferry.png

Another approach you can use is a turning spur which takes three sets of points and a lot more room to make a 'T' of track where you can turn the loco around like a car doing a three point turn.

The balloon loop is the more useful though because you can turn the whole train around without any reversing or shunting.

The other classic option of course is a locomotive turntable, I want to build one of those eventually too. (Some nice examples in that link, Strikeman.)

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

He means:

If loco's will be going the other way,

The light turn red at the back and white at the front.

So he is asking:

How can I make the lights change from color,

Without having to switch them every time...??

I hope this helpt...

Mathijs

This electronic circuit, attached in parallel with the drive motor and driving two sets of PF light bricks, will do the trick. It can be used with either PF or 9V trains, but with 9V the lights will go off when the train stops unless a battery is used for the 9V and 0V lines as well. Without a battery, a bridge rectifier could drive the supply rails from the motor input.

Here it is in a loco. It works really well and the lights are bright even at the lowest motor power levels.

Mark

This electronic circuit, attached in parallel with the drive motor and driving two sets of PF light bricks, will do the trick. It can be used with either PF or 9V trains, but with 9V the lights will go off when the train stops unless a battery is used for the 9V and 0V lines as well. Without a battery, a bridge rectifier could drive the supply rails from the motor input.

Here it is in a loco. It works really well and the lights are bright even at the lowest motor power levels.

Mark

Thank you. But, I am not trying to change the colors of the lights on the loco. I just want to turn my loco around so, it is always pulling face first.

Thank you. But, I am not trying to change the colors of the lights on the loco. I just want to turn my loco around so, it is always pulling face first.

OK, that's quite understandable, especially where you have a loco with one cab, or a steam engine with a tender. In that case you might consider a Triangular Junction as an alternative to a reversing loop. Both take up a lot of space in a layout, so the smallest way to turn a loco is to make a turntable.

I have a turntable under construction. Indy Mine track supports the loco weight and a PF motor drives a Technic turntable in the middle. The Indy Mine track makes a good size circle to support a turntable near the ends, especially for 6-wide locos that are shorter than 8mm scale ones. For a visible turntable, the rotation speed should be limited but if it were behind the scenes, one without a motor could be spun quickly by hand.

The bonus for a 2-cab loco is that automatically changing the lights on changing direction means there is no intervention required, and no points or turntable need operating! I have found that railway modellers like to reduce "Hand of God" intervention at shows. Reading magazines about real trains, the locos seem to operate either way round. One a preserved railway, steam engines often do the same because the maximum line speed is 25mph, below the maximum speed for driving tender-first. Tank engines were designed not to need turning. Lights are operated manually on real trains and sometimes the driver makes an error!

Mark

OK, that's quite understandable, especially where you have a loco with one cab, or a steam engine with a tender. In that case you might consider a Triangular Junction as an alternative to a reversing loop. Both take up a lot of space in a layout, so the smallest way to turn a loco is to make a turntable.

Mark

Yes, turntable is what I am thinking of. I got a few pieces together and once I figure out how to post pics here, I will do so. It has a few issues. It is manual (I have to turn it around) and only the Cargo train loco (7939) can make it on and off. The entire turntable is only 2 track pcs long. I turntable pc is from the Level Crossing set (7996) and it seems to work most of the time. My whole layout is on carpet in our living room so that has its ups and downs.

Today, scrounging around, I found enough pcs to make a small incline/decline pc of track and all my trains seem to traverse it well.

It is getting there.