Sign in to follow this  
Jacob C.

A cool frigate on brickshelf

Well, nice designed ship, but it looks a bit chubby to me. Also it lacks the ropes that hang from the sides of the masts. Also the lack of a figure head is a big - for the ship.

It looks decent, but I think the top looks too blocky and flat. It would probably look better if he raised the back more, and raised the front some too.

It could use some sort of steering wheel (can't think of the word right now) and maybe another lantern. I do like the way it all opens up though.

Too blocky, but I like the color scheme and the way the sails are rolled up. Still, it needs a bit of work (I'm one to talk :-P )....

Also the lack of a figure head is a big - for the ship.

Yea.

I think the front part of the ship needs the most work.

And then some rigging and ropes.

It would probably look better if he raised the back more, and raised the front some too.

I think the 18th century frigates were mostly flat throughout the deck.

I agree it would look better raised but the builder was probably going for historical accuracy in that regard.

I haven't tried to build a large ship, but judging from how few MOCers can carry them off perfectly it must be an incredibly difficult art.

God Bless,

Nathan

I've seen examples of sails built of bricks which looked good, however not this time. I don't like the overall shape of the ship either - it looks a bit too simple. What I do like are the inner areas of the ship which can be accessed - a feature many good-looking ships lack. Ships with low castles are of course as accurate as those with high castles, however I prefer high castles all the way. This ship looks like a cigar. However if you look at this guy's folder you will see a promising work in progress - the castle of another ship. This one is much better and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

I completely agree Mr Dreamweb as these sails aren't working for me either! Come to think of it the shape of the upper hull isn't working for me either, it looks too blocky in comparission to the lower hull - rather like the builder has built a fence around the deck.

Still, if its the builder's first MOC then these details can't be expected to be perfect. If the builder continues building most likely he or she will improve provide that person is capable of learning from their past mistakes and has the ability to improve.

yes i think dreamweb and phez are correct in saying these sails are not looking right because they look too bricky. i think the creator should have used proper sails or made their own using evil willys sail making tutorial.

Now I feel enclined to write some positive things about this MOC...

The hull's interior seems rather spacious which is always good for placing things inside of it, so that fence around the deck is serving its purpose well. That purpose seeming to be a row of cannons on both port and starboard. Though perhaps, the same could be accomplished on a Black Seas Barracuda or Skulls Eye Schoone with some modifications. I haven't actually tired...

Im gonna say like it seems most people think..I dont like the ship. It is WAY to plain. Lego sails arnt cool. And well Its way to square for my liking. Needs a lot of work IMHO.

OK...this ship suppoased be the sea-monster...I think...It's a really heavy armoured floating fortress....

But,like our mate said,it is WAY to plain...And those sails...

But I looked your castles at brickshelf....and they're amazing....

Seriosly... The best ones I ever seen... Just keep on building...

Greetings from Serbia

Why is the name of this thread 'a cool frigate on brickshelf' if nobody here thinks it cool or is it only jacob c that thinks this is a cool ship? i must agree with everyone else that these sails look truly awful and i would never wish to build them in a way such as this..

This ship IS COOL... if you're a pirate fan... I mean,look at those bunch of guys with number of cannons...

that really is a ship... Nut for sails,I must agree,they're awful...

But,as a designer,I like to see some new things...

Greetings from Serbia

I AM a pirate but I am not thinking every ship is cool just because it calls itself a pirate ship. But this isnt really a pirate ship but I think you get the point I am trying to make. For me to think a ship is cool it must have aspects of which I admire but this ship just looks to strange for my liking. If you think this ship is cool I am not going to disrespect that for all people have different thoughts on different things.

Of course,mate...you're absolutely right... no offence

I respect your thinking as anybody elses here...

But I thought it's unfair to say some negative things about this long-time-builded-ship...

Who knows how long it was builded...And I still think it's cool ;-)

sorry to all if I said something wrong

It's probably'cause of my bad English

Greetings from Serbia

Your English is fine Mr Sk8! We all make typographical errors - especially me!

I'd say mention both the negative and positive aspects of every creation because they're going to have both. Giving something only praise is very superficial, therefore highlighting the negative aspects in a tactful manner is the best way to form a non bias substantiated opinion.

First of all hello since this is the first time I post on this forum.

I

yes I see your point, This ship is pretty good for whats its supposed to be but I suggest putting some string on it. :-)

Welcome to EB gui45

BTW, how did you fing this website?

Sir Dillon-

It could use some sort of steering wheel (can't think of the word right now)

There is a steering wheel thing, right here

I see that many of you seem to be negative or even very negative with my ship, I conceive that you may not like this or this, I am myself not happy with all what I have done, for example the most difficult thing to me was to make the sails, and I

I don't think anyone here thought this was a pirate ship though, rather they're just noticing what they think should be included on a ship from that particular era. But if you're happy with the way it turned out then that's all that really matters!

I suppose when this thread was created the users here didn't expect the creator of this MOC to post here which is probably why they were overly critical. When you posted this MOC on Brickself did you suspect it mind end up being discussed in an online forum such as Eurobricks?

To oo7 : I find the URL of this forum on a picture on Brickshelf in the recent folders.

Excellent! My promotional image is paying off!

"When you posted this MOC on Brickself did you suspect it mind end up being discussed in an online forum such as Eurobricks?"

I knew many people come to Brickshelf and I guessed it could happen, although I was surprised.

@ Jacob, Thanks for your welcome and your comments.