BryanKinkel

Purchase in bulk from Pick a Brick

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I searched but could not find a topic.

Has anyone had any experience purchasing in bulk from a LEGO store? I'm interested in purchasing a large quantity of elements - way more than a standard cup. Anyone have information on pricing, etc?

Thanks -- Bryan

I have bought a "K box" from my local lego store. It was about $70. It's just the boxes that they use to stock the pick-a-brick wall. QTY and box size vary by piece.

My apologies if this has been discussed before. I searched but could not find a topic.

Has anyone had any experience purchasing in bulk from a LEGO store? I'm interested in purchasing a large quantity of elements - way more than a standard cup. Anyone have information on pricing, etc?

Thanks -- Bryan

I have bought a "K box" from my local lego store. It was about $70. It's just the boxes that they use to stock the pick-a-brick wall. QTY and box size vary by piece.

Any idea how many 2x4 bricks would be in one of these boxes?

I visited retail Lego Store outlets when I went to Lego conventions in Portland (USA), and I found their "Pick A Brick" wall prices to be about the same as the online Lego Pick A Brick store. Also, the SELECTION of bricks offered at the retail store cannot possibly satisfy everybody -- there were maybe 50 different types of Lego parts offered. The typical 2x4 brick on the Lego Pick A Brick store costs a whopping US$0.26 each! I'd much rather use Bricklink to get the 3001 Brick 2 x 4 parts (New or Used, in the color I want).

Any idea how many 2x4 bricks would be in one of these boxes?

How many bricks are you in need of?

I've boughten quite a few cases of bricks and two with 2x4s, I never counted them but there is quite a bit in there.

How many bricks are you in need of?

I've boughten quite a few cases of bricks and two with 2x4s, I never counted them but there is quite a bit in there.

Probably 500. I'm doing a large landscape project. And I'm trying to determine if a bulk purchase via the LEGO Store is more cost effective than Bricklink.

Probably 500. I'm doing a large landscape project. And I'm trying to determine if a bulk purchase via the LEGO Store is more cost effective than Bricklink.

Well, you have to know that when you go through LEGO, I think its better because you do not have to pay for shipping and you are getting factory fresh bricks, no nicks or scratches on the bricks.

I just did a quick rough calculation that there should be between 650 and 700 2x4 bricks per box. here is how I did this:

I counted out how many bricks fit in a cup, cramming got me to exactly 100 bricks, then took a box and began to fill it up by the cup, I got 6 and 3/4 cups into the box (not topped off since thats how the boxes come) and it came out to about 650 to 700 bricks per case.

Cost wise you are better off with the case because if you calculate it out, the case is cheaper...

7 cups at 14$ is 98 dollars

7 cups worth of brick in a sealed case is 70$

I'd buy the case.

Hope that helps.

The boxes are the best value out there. If you can not get them at a LEGO store, then bl will cost you close to twice as much as the $70 box. If you can not find it on bl, then lego.com will cost you even ore than bl. gl.

1x1 : 6150

1x2 : 2800

1x3 : 1800

1x4 : 1300

1x6 : 826

2x2 : 1400

2x4 : 675

2x6 : 400

I just wish I could get my hands on a few 1x2 boxes in bley and dark grey!

Edited by Follows Closely

The boxes are the best value out there. If you can not get them at a LEGO store, then bl will cost you close to twice as much as the $70 box. If you can not find it on bl, then lego.com will cost you even ore than bl. gl.

1x1 : 6150

1x2 : 2800

1x3 : 1800

1x4 : 1300

1x6 : 826

2x2 : 1400

2x4 : 675

2x6 : 400

I just wish I could get my hands on a few 1x2 boxes in bley and dark grey!

Excellent. Thanks for the piece counts. This is very helpful. -- Bryan

Excellent. Thanks for the piece counts. This is very helpful. -- Bryan

anyone here has a pic of those boxes? damn i wish i had a lego store near me....

sets i bought so far were from bl.

anyone knows why lego.com doesnt ship to some destinations?(i am from Greece)

Edited by Gunman

Huh, I may have to try this, I need a ton of 1x6 and 1x4 bricks, as well as very VERY many either side studded 1x1's. To this day I have no idea what those are called :hmpf:

Modified 1 x 1 with Headlight?

I call them headlight bricks. I just bough ta box of them. I will post a pic tonight.

nice one.. and according to the numbers above it would have about 6150 1x1 bricks? waiting for a pic.

each lego store has those k boxes? ie u can ask for a box ful of 1x4 red tan bricks?

each lego store has those k boxes? ie u can ask for a box ful of 1x4 red tan bricks?

Every store has these boxes, they are the standard shipping case that LEGO uses for PaB, also what bricks a particular store has all depends on stock, many times I ask for a case of such and such, and they do not have it.

Here are pics of a case from one of our NILTC members:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=370339

nice one.. and according to the numbers above it would have about 6150 1x1 bricks? waiting for a pic.

4834069180_e294a85f79.jpg

4834069464_a256c0ce75.jpg

Edited by Follows Closely

mm thats a lot of legos.. i wish i could order online from lego stores xd

for countries like Greece i guess the best solution is bl. (lego.com also doesnt ship here)

4834069180_e294a85f79.jpg

4834069464_a256c0ce75.jpg

Where and how do you order those boxes?? I have been buying bricks for my huge moc (size of a twin bed :D ) and I ran out of bricks multiple times. Even when I order #100+ orders I am out within 2 days :(

Where and how do you order those boxes?? I have been buying bricks for my huge moc (size of a twin bed :D ) and I ran out of bricks multiple times. Even when I order #100+ orders I am out within 2 days :(

You DO NOT order these boxes, they are shipping cases delivered to LEGO stores and the LEGO store is allowed to order them for PaB, go to a official LEGO brand store and ask if you can buy bricks by the case and ask what they have in stock. Then buy the case at the LEGO store.

my local lego store sells they boxes at $70 USD each. you can grab what they have in stock or they can place an order for you, but delivery can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on supply. They stated over spring they would on;y get 10-12 boxes a week, but when summer hit they began getting their usual 25-30 per week.

I have used pick a brick before,untill I found out that bricklink has the same pieces for (alot of the time) half as much!Unless its a ancient special element from a theme that few remember,then they can cost a bit.

Does anyone have a list of what elements are available for a LEGO store to order to stock their PaB wall? Is it basically the same selection as the PaB online?

Does anyone have a list of what elements are available for a LEGO store to order to stock their PaB wall? Is it basically the same selection as the PaB online?

It all depends on a store to store basis, whatever is in the warehouse at the time, when the truck comes in, etc. online has a much bigger selection.

I bought 140 2 x 2 light "bley" tiles from the online shop earlier this year. Even with shipping it was less expensive than ordering through BrickLink.

I have used pick a brick before,untill I found out that bricklink has the same pieces for (alot of the time) half as much!Unless its a ancient special element from a theme that few remember,then they can cost a bit.

I bought 140 2 x 2 light "bley" tiles from the online shop earlier this year. Even with shipping it was less expensive than ordering through BrickLink.

Online PAB is rather expensive and is not useful for "bulk" buys that we are talking about here. This is referring solely to going into a physical LEGO Retail Store and buying a brown box full of one type of LEGO piece. These boxes are what the retail locations use to refill their physical PAB walls that people fill cups with. Its a great way to get a lot of a certain piece.

Let me be more specific. What elements are the stores able to get in "k boxes"? I assume the store probably has extra k boxes in the stock room of what is already stocked on the PaB wall, but it would be nice to see what is available in general to possibly place a special order. From what information I can gather, it sounds as if the store has a special list or catalog to choose through to order k boxes to stock their PaB wall. That list would be wonderful to take a look at especially if it includes quantity per box and the retail price of the k boxes.