Sign in to follow this  
hoeij

7996 switch track

traintech1.jpg

I have one copy of the set 7996 switch track, and I was considering converting it to 9V

using ideas posted here on eurobricks some time ago.

However, the problem is that I don't know how to make good use out of it. Each of the yellow

controls affects both tracks, which means that two trains driving next to each other on parallel

tracks will always go towards the same track and thus run into each other eventually.

Has anyone experimented with making a cut so that the two switches now operated by one control

can be operated independently? Is there friction (to prevent the switch from moving by itself)

on both sides, or, if I make a cut, will one side move freely?

Hi, I have converted this switch for 9 volt. First, Stainless Steel foil is the longest lived for 9 volt running. What I did, was drill a hole and pin one side of the double throw open, you will need to do this for both sets of points, this allows trains to run parallel and when you want to transfer tracks, you either throw the switch or pull the pin. Tom

I have one copy of the set 7996 switch track, and I was considering converting it to 9V

using ideas posted here on eurobricks some time ago.

However, the problem is that I don't know how to make good use out of it. Each of the yellow

controls affects both tracks, which means that two trains driving next to each other on parallel

tracks will always go towards the same track and thus run into each other eventually.

Has anyone experimented with making a cut so that the two switches now operated by one control

can be operated independently? Is there friction (to prevent the switch from moving by itself)

on both sides, or, if I make a cut, will one side move freely?

I used pneumatics in such a way that each end of the crossover can stop in the middle, enabling both tracks to be set straight at once.

I changed how the springs push the direction changing parts to provide more tolerance so that the middle position of the lever allows both tracks to run straight.

Therefore there was no need to have independence of the two sides. Two sets of pneumatics at each end are set so that a state of 1,1 is one direction, 0,0 is the other direction and 1,0 or 0,1 are both in the middle with both tracks set straight. Two pneumatic switches control the crossover, each one setting the state of one of the two sets of cylinders at each end.

Pics here

Mark