6238 Imperial Ground Forces

How good is it?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How this set rate out of 5?

• 5 - Brilliant
    • 1 - Horrible

6238 Imperial Ground Forces

6238_imperial_ground_forces.jpg

This little known set remains unreleased, perhaps a prototype that didn't make the grade. As a set Imperial Ground Forces is no more than an accessories pack. Its almost the Imperial Guard equivalent of Western's 6706 Frontier Patrol but just a little bigger.

Some design thought has gone into creating the artillery... Not much! But enough to warrant instructions.

6238_imperial_ground_forces_-_artillery.jpg

However one must pitty the poor Imperial Guard who is forced to cart it around. As there are two Imperial Guards included perhaps they take shifts pushing the artillery, while the lazy commander instructs them from his steed...

6238_imperial_ground_forces_-_commander.jpg

This set may lack in design but it certainly doesn't skimp on accessories, so it contains plenty of guns and swords. Even a flag! It's also a great set for anyone wanting to build an Imperial Army or cavlary. 3 Imperials Guards, a Cannon and Horse! That is quite generous! I give it 3 and a half for its usefulness, however I have to round that upto four.

Edited by Mister Phes

I voted for brilliant ;-)

It is considering an army building !!!! 2 redies and a cavalry redie plus a cannon, a big flag and other weapons !!! Its a fantastic parts set !!!

Too bad it was never released !!!

*yoda*

Like Yoda said, an army builder. For playability, they should've added a pirate though...

Lego should definitely make more of these!

4/5.

Fortunatly it will be released one day *sweet* I like the minifigs packs, those are the bests. BTW, nice photoshop job you've done here

Fortunatly it will be released one day *sweet* I like the minifigs packs, those are the bests. BTW, nice photoshop job you've done here

Eh?

And great set, for the reasons people above stated.

Wow its absolutley brillian, amazing! If that would have been released at like 10 $ I would have bought like...As much as I can lol! 2 gaurds with blue epaulettes and a captain..Just superb!

One officer, two troopers, one horse and one cannon. This is what the Imperial army is made of.

Absolutely grand, if I found these in a store I would take everyone of them. One soldier more would be grand, but Lego has never made sets like that.

A fantastic army builder, generic forces from one faction (meaning its good for those trying to build up the red imperials) and no "leader" types more than a lowly officer (I think its a corporal, these guys are very common) which gives it a value when massed. Love it!

hehe... do you know something we don't? ;-)

i'd give it a 5; it's a great army builder's set! :-D

I wish I had LEGO sets like this when I was a child... But couldn't afford them :o(

Seeing these wonderful images makes me very very very happy!

Its just brilliant! ;o)

Is this a joke Phes? There is no set of this no. (not to my knowledge or a quick search that is...)

God Bless,

Nathan

This little known set remains unreleased, perhaps a prototype that didn't make the grade.

I think Phes made this up :wink: When you are as pirate mad as him, you have to constantly have new sets to please yourself!

Jon.

Arrr, that's a tad bit disappointing if this doesn't actually exist. It's nice to dream of such army builders, even if they are supposedly prototype models.

I shall now confess...

This is my first MOC!!!

For my grand introduction into the Eurobricks MOCing world I thought I'd pretend to have found a proto-type set, rather than boringly announce "I finally got a digitial camera..."

I have acquired a digital image input device in the form of a video camera so I've beeen using its still image capability to take pictures. Its has 4MP still image capability and being a video camera still images aren't its strong point, yet it will be sufficient for the time being.

As for Imperial Ground Forces...

I wanted to create a simple MOC that captured the essence of the original SYSTEM Pirate sets that would be highly appealing - you don't think The LEGO Company would design a set that small this good do you? X-D I thought I should make my first MOC simple so it was easy to capture, rather than designing a large and elaborate MOC only to find the pictures turned out horrible.

Most of my MOCs will seem like official SYSTEM Pirate sets that never existed in order to explore the possibilities The LEGO Company missed - or what they could be releasing right this very minute if they had half a brain! So with these designs will come rules and limitations to ensure they resemble something The LEGO Company would have created, well as closely as possible. I'll still work towards innovation by incorporating some of the newer pieces and customising some of the older ones.

Of course I'll create a "MOC of indulgence" occassionally by which I mean I'll build the thing however it damn suits me regardless of whether it resembles an official LEGO design or not. I am thinking that will be as soon as my next MOC ;-)

Fear not Mr Kikuichimonji there are huge fortresses on the horizon but I still need to acquire specific pieces for them. Eventually I shall source them from BrickLink and eBay. However, I won't post many unless they get a good response with intelligent feedback and constructive critcism. If they suffer the fate of many of poor Atho's MOC/VIG threads (which get under 5 replies) then you won't be seeing a lot out of me.

I'm also curious who gave Imperial Ground Forces a rating of 1. I have no objection to constructive criticism or users disliking something I create, however I would like to know why. Its always good to recieve feedback upon the negative aspects of a creation as it encourages improvement and stimulates growth. But I have a feeling it was Andy who casted that vote, and by judging his responses in other threads I gather he wasn't really interested what's going on here, as his motive was just to cause trouble.

Fear not Mr Kikuichimonji there are huge fortresses on the horizon but I still need to acquire specific pieces for them. Eventually I shall source them from BrickLink and eBay. However, I won't post many unless they get a good response with intelligent feedback and constructive critcism. If they suffer the fate of many of poor Atho's MOC/VIG threads (which get under 5 replies) then you won't be seeing a lot out of me.

There's only so much a person can say about any given MOC. Lets not forget that there are a huge number of MOCs on the internet. Athos' vignettes are nice, but to expect a huge number of replies is expecting too much. I think the large number of views Athos' brickshelf gallery has recieved speaks volumes about his work. To expect people to actively post comments is perhaps a bit much. Yes, there will be some people who choose to do so, however moreoften than not, people will simply take a look at your folder and move on. You shouldn't take it as an insult, or conceal your work because people don't reply.

Oh, I gave your Imperial Ground Forces a 3. When I voted, I didn't know that it was actually a MOC. I simply thought it was a set suggestion. As an army builder (minifig pack), it seems like it could use a few more troops. The inclusion of the cannon would undoubtedly drive the price up, so I would expect at least four figs. Still, an interesting idea to say the least.

Later.

I don't expect people to do nuffin :-D

So they can choose to post as much or as little as they want, but I'm not going to the trouble of photographing my creations and sharing them unless I know someone is looking at them. However, users do actively post in threads when they want to, but if nobody actively posts then we'll have no indepth discussion and that defeats the purpose of an online discussion forum. I have no problem actively posting, as I play very few computer games, leave the TV during commercial breaks to use the computer, and chat to fewer idiots over instanct messenger services thus freeing up extra time for posting and other more constructive activities.

All I can say to the kiddies (and those with nothing better to do all day) is... Spend less time playing mindless computer games* and get your mind active by thinking about intelligent matters or writing constructive criticism in these threads. By doing this you'll develop and enhance your communication and writing skills which will be a valuable asset in the future.

* These games do have their merits so don't abandon them completely.

As for Imperial Ground Forces... Its not intended to be a mini-figure pack given that it includes a horse and cannon which brings it into the realm of a small set. I likened it to 6706 Frontier Patrol in my first post actually. I suppose you could say it is a "set suggestion" as I was trying to adopt the design of sets from the early 90's hence why there's only 3 mini-figures. Unfortuntely has LEGO never put more than 3 mini-figures in a set this side (exincluding mini-figure packs of course), otherwise I would have included 5 or 6 mini-figures but that would have defied the laws of early 90's set design.

Edited by mister_phes

first of all great job on the photoshopping... looks spectacular !!! i also have respect for announcing such a simple set as your first MOC. what a great idea. it shows that MOCs don't have to be multiple thousands of pieces (as seen on classic-castle) to be great.

i look at this set as if LEGO had officially released it. i used all the same criteria when rating this MOC as i do when i rate LEGOs sets. as i said before small sets are great, but they have to present something new, that the larger sets just cant do. for example, the "cargo train" has great road cars. but they get lost behind the shadow of the overpowering train its self. within little sets, the focus is not driven from the smaller objects... all-in-all i think the smaller MOCs are harder to produce and to make look great. all the smaller details are revealed, and their construction has to be just right, with exactly the right pieces. for example you can't use two 1x2 bricks in place of single 1x4 brick. in a larger MOC you can get away with it !!!

this set is simply men, and as with the "frontier patrol" of the western series i would give it a low score due to its lack of creatively of putting bricks together, and for not bringing anything new to the table that a larger set hasn't done. notably, the cannon cart does have handles, and that separates it from the cannon cart in imperial trading post. this MOC is a more of a tribute to LEGOs great craftsmanship of designing mini-figs, and not to the actual design of the set.

it is interesting to note that you decided to add a horse... it could be argued that you strayed to far from the "pirate" theme, if you are trying to produce a set in the style of LEGO releases. LEGO used boats as modes of transportation for the pirate sets. this possibly could be attributed to the fact that they need to keep some distance from the castle theme. although i am not objected to adding a horse to LEGOs pirate theme, personally, i would never add one when trying to keep to LEGOs consistency with the theme.

Most of my MOCs will seem like official SYSTEM Pirate sets that never existed in order to explore the possibilities The LEGO Company missed - or what they could be releasing right this very minute if they had half a brain! So with these designs will come rules and limitations to ensure they resemble something The LEGO Company would have created, well as closely as possible.

i am also interested in this idea of creating rules and limitations with my MOCs. this also helps when mixing MOCs with LEGO releases.... and as you said its fun to explore the ideas the LEGO missed. as soon as i get a digital camera i'll try to post some of my MOCs which explore this concept.

i gave your MOC a 2 of 5, and don't take that hard, i think this is a beautiful group of images. you did a wonderful job and i would love to see more !!! i would even venture to say that these are the best MOC images i have seen yet !!! again, great job in photohop.

i am thankful that there is another LEGO fan that holds ideologies similar to mine. and even though i frequented this board several times, it took this post before i signed on and started contributing - brick miner

Cool Phes!I like it. My only problem with the set is that the Lego System Pirates never used horses. This would be much more a Napoleonics Era set... if Lego ever had the brains to explore that incredible era in their sets. Perhaps calling this set a "Imperial Boarding Party" and taking away the horse and the cannon and maybe putting another soldier in their would be interesting.

Besides the Horse, I love this MOC... I would definately buy 50 of these. It brings back a time when you looked at sets and imagined the possibilities. This is only an army set (like you say, the Frontier Patrol)... try making a small building next time... perhaps in the vein of 6259 Broadsides Brig... or start even smaller... like the (in my opinion) simpleand tiny brilliance of 1795 Imperial Cannon.(one of my favourite sets for some reason) I would love to see how you do this. Maybe I should pull out my lego again and try to make a small 'cute' lego set. *y*

And what does JiPay mean about the comment that a set like that is going to be released?! CONFUSED.

Yes folks, I'm well aware that SYSTEM Pirate LEGO never ever used horses! But why not? Conquistadors introduced horses to the New World in the 16th century and cavalry was used as a means of defense for the larger settlements. Given the horse piece existed during the time of the Pirate theme there was no logical reason LEGO couldn't have designed a set to utilized a horse or two.

While this may exceed the parameters of traditional Pirate LEGO design it is however intentional. As I mentioned before I want to provide innovation by use of pieces that weren't originally used, but I want to keep the design style similiar. The reason I feel the need to incoporate this innovation is to keep the ideas fresh and promote growth in my creation. Bascially my mentality is: If The LEGO Company were to introduce a new SYSTEM Pirate theme, how could do they do it using the newer pieces (or pieces they never used before) without making the sets look too different. I.e. Knights Kingdom 2 from Castle sets of the early 90s. BIIIIG jump in design there.

Besides the Horse, I love this MOC... I would definately buy 50 of these. It brings back a time when you looked at sets and imagined the possibilities. This is only an army set (like you say, the Frontier Patrol)... try making a small building next time... perhaps in the vein of 6259 Broadsides Brig... or start even smaller... like the (in my opinion) simpleand tiny brilliance of 1795 Imperial Cannon.(one of my favourite sets for some reason) I would love to see how you do this. Maybe I should pull out my lego again and try to make a small 'cute' lego set. thumbup.gif

YES YOU SHOULD MR. STING!!!

i am also interested in this idea of creating rules and limitations with my MOCs. this also helps when mixing MOCs with LEGO releases.... and as you said its fun to explore the ideas the LEGO missed. as soon as i get a digital camera i'll try to post some of my MOCs which explore this concept.

WELCOME aboard Mr Brick Miner, glad to have ye here! Do get a digital camera very soon! Your response was extremely good for a new user, and much appreciated!

i gave your MOC a 2 of 5, and don't take that hard, i think this is a beautiful group of images. you did a wonderful job and i would love to see more !!! i would even venture to say that these are the best MOC images i have seen yet !!! again, great job in photohop.

Tough marker! If you gave 2 to the best MOC images you've seen yet, did you give the worst MOC images you ever saw less than -5? :biggrin: But anyway, in the interest of continual improvement I must ask what would have enticed you to give a higher score? Did the horse cost 3 points, or were their other factors?

I'm also wondering (to everyone) that brown carriage wheels were only ever used in Gun Cart so if that had been a MOC rather than an offical promotional set, would it have lost points for the inclusion of these wheels?

Edited by mister_phes

I really liked this but I have to admit the horse threw me... It is so unexpected with lego pirates for some reason... Looks great though!

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

WELCOME aboard Mr Brick Miner, glad to have ye here! Do get a digital camera very soon! Your response was extremely good for a new user, and much appreciated

awesome, well, i'll have to get that camera, it looks like there is some hearty conversations going on here !!!

Tough marker! If you gave 2 to the best MOC images you've seen yet, did you give the worst MOC images you ever saw less than -5? But anyway, in the interest of continual improvement I must ask what would have enticed you to give a higher score? Did the horse cost 3 points, or were their other factors?

what i meant was, it is the best image, not the best MOC !!! your presentation was really spectacular. on a scale of presentation i would give a 4 of 5. i gave it a two of five because of the lack of creativly putting bricks together... like i said, this set is more a tribute to LEGOs great minifigure designs rather than the MOC itself.

i would give 6247 bounty boat, 6706 frontier patrol, or any minifigure pack the same type of score.

now on the contrast, let me give some examples of small sets that would score high (4 or 5). western set 6712, something as simple as that frying pan adds so much to that small (otherwise minifigure based) set. the frying pan couldn't have been thrown into any other set and had the same impack it did on 6712. pirate set 1872 has the same feel with the soldiers camp. 6237 is a great small set because it has a lot of playablity, right out of the box. you can have a treasure hunt, and a pirate/imperial face off !!! also, making a treasure hunt a larger set seems pointless. a treasure hunt was the prefect concept for LEGO to release as a small set. to make a treasure hunt set as large as 6270 would be ridiculous !!! this is probably why LEGO released a small treasure hunt set twice (6235 and 6237) !!!

now that i mention it, 6712 is great for the same reason, there is a lot of conflict to play out for such a little set, and again, the frying pan along with the prickely bush and accsesories are a prefect touch to the gun-shootout setting.

- brick miner

This is wonderful...I Must have..A lot!!! Must:D:D:D Its wonderful Mr Phes it really is!

But now you must make something of a ship, or island, fortress anything!