Sign in to follow this  
Sweden

10134 UCS Y-Wing Attack Starfighter Review

Warning:

This is a pretty long and more indeept review of 10134 UCS Y-Wing Attack Starfighter, without any pictures as there already are pictures available of it out here on the Internet, for the fans of the LEGO Star Wars line who wants something more then the usual stuff. If you can't read more then a mere few words or sentences a day or just are into swoshfactor nine posts and 30 pages long threads about the coming new sets then this little review is NOTHING at all for you. I mean it. If you don't like this type of reviews then don't read it only to complain about it afterwards so pick and chose. Make it simple for yourself. I'd appriciate it. Thank you.

The set box:

The Y-Wing Attack Starfighter comes in a huge "Original Trilogy Edition" box the same size as 10129 UCS Snowspeeder meassuring 56 cm or 22" wide, 38 cm or 15" tall and 9 cm or 3,5" deep containing all of the parts, sticker sheet and instruction booklet. As this is the European release of the set the box front is NOT marked "ages/edades" and "Building Toy/Jouet de Construction/Juguete para Construir" above and under the recommended age as well as "cont. 1473 pcs/pzs" like the boxes in the US of A. Both of the short sides of the box just has the Star Wars logo on them while the long sides have smaller pictures of the set and on the back of the box the set is shown off in details on larger pictures as well as 4502 X-Wing Fighter, 4504 Millennium Falcon and 10131 TIE Fighter Collection in a group shot.

The instruction booklet:

Is 84 pages long and is divided into nine (9) steps that takes one through the building of the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter. 1) The main fuselage through pages 2 to 18. 2) Right boom through pages 19 to 20 and on page 21 attaching it to the main fuselage. 3) Left boom through pages 22 to 23 and on page 24 attaching it to the main fuselage. 4) Middle right and left engine sections through pages 25 to 38 and on page 39 attaching them to the main fuselage booms. 5) Additional main fuselage details and middle right and left engine sections details through pages 40 to 41. 6) Back right and left engine sections through pages 42 to 47 and on page 48 attaching them to the middle right and left engine sections. 7) Front right and left engine sections through pages 49 to 55 and on page 56 attaching them to the middle right and left engine sections. 8) Cockpit through pages 57 to 70 and on page 71 attaching it to the main fuselage. 9) Display stand with name plate through pages 72 to 82 and the model placed on it on page 83. Page 1 is front cover and page 84 is back cover. Includes NO pages with other sets in the UCS or Mini Figure LEGO Star Wars line.

Building the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter:

I had the great pleasure to share my hobby and to sit down and build this very huge set with my girlfriend Eva Katarina (I'm turning 38 this year in May and she turned 40 last year in December and she's the very best!) when she were here visiting me from Friday the 3rd to Sunday the 5th of February this year. We sat down at around 8 PM on Saturday the 4th and while I opened the bags with the parts she started to sort out the pieces so it'd be easier to build it due to the amount of parts and lack of space. It's funny, I've never ever built sets that way and last summer when we were about to build our first Star Wars LEGO set together (10129 UCS Snowspeeder) she chocked me by sorting out the pieces just like some of you guys do and it was great fun sharing my hobby. It's truly amazing to see Eva Katarina pick out the parts I need watching the instruction booklet upside down or when I tell her what part or parts I need and she hits it right about 95% percent of the time and she's not even into this stuff herself. Wow, is she truly amazing and truly the best or what? :wub:

We built the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter in around six (6) hours enjoying the experience of doing something together like sharing my hobby and it was great fun for us both as she actually enjoys it herself and then again it was she that was eager to build this set to begin with. Building the set was pretty straight forward and there was no errors in the instruction booklet but damn it's sometimes really hard to see if a part is supposed to be black or dark "bley" or not. When the main fuselage, right and left boom and middle right and left engine sections are attached together it gets a little hard to handle so we built the display stand with name plate to put it on and to save space as well but it couldn't hold the set at this stage. The set was so tail heavy it almost fell over so be prepared to have lots of space until the set is all finished before placing it on the display stand because it's not until it's all finished off it will sit properly on it.

Final verdict - What about the scale and accuracy?:

Well, this UCS set actually suffers from being a mixture of Classic UCS scale as well as Classic Mini Figure scale with a touch of Special Edition scale. According to the Star Wars databank over at Star Wars.com the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter is supposed to be a 16 meter long spaceship. Meassuring in at 66 cm or 26" long that makes the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter length wise a 1:24 scale model unlike the UCS X-Wing Fighter and T.I.E. Interceptor that length wise are in 1:28 scale. The original filming miniature was supposed to be in 1:24 scale so that's spot on and it's pretty close to 1:28 scale and can probably be over looked by most collectors and builders of the Star Wars UCS LEGO line. But from a model kit collector and builders point of view I find it odd that the LEGO designers couldn't stick to the Classic UCS 1:28 scale while they were at it because it's pretty damn cool to have them displayed being in exactly the same scale.

This might sound a little rough to the most of you guys out there that collect and build the Star Wars UCS LEGO line but as it's supposed to be a model kit but in LEGO form and as it's so incredibly expensive one has the right to critizise the set especially if it contains errors and omissions. But even if it's a replica and even if it's 1:24 scale just like the original filming miniature of the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter it's shape and proportions are way off from the original filming miniature. First off the engines and vanes are way too narrow and long and would need to be made wider and shorter but then it's also the proportions between the engines and vanes that are incorrect. Second the cockpit section is a bit too narrow and short and need to be wider and longer and third the interior of the cockpit is a bit too narrow as well and need to be wider. Fourth the main fuselage is a bit too narrow and need to be wider. That amongst other smaller issues precent in this scale LEGO model.

If one happen to want the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter to be in the Classic UCS 1:28 scale like the discontinued X-Wing Fighter and T.I.E. Interceptor then this set need to be modified to be correct as its lenght of 66 cm or 26" is 9 cm or 3,5" too long as it in 1:28 scale would be 57 cm or 22,5" long. Those 9 cm or 3,5" would be around twelve (12) studs that need to be shaven off the LEGO models lenght and most of it can be shaven off from the engines and vanes kind of like how Reto "Warhawk" Geiger did on his modified version. Over at his Brickshelf gallery is seen how Reto "Warhawk" Geiger shaved off one (1) stud from front right and left engine sections and four (4) studs from the middle right and left engine sections as well as two (2) studs from the back right and left engine/vanes section. But more need to be shaven off the model for 1:28 scale.

As it is now the LEGO designers made the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter in 1:24 scale on it's length just like the original filming miniature but its shape and proportions are way off as the engines and vanes are mini figure scale being just six (6) studs wide but way too long while the main fuselage and cockpit is more like "Special Edition" scale. The main problem for this probably lays in the fact that the LEGO designers haven't made any new parts for the cockpit window and the rounded front of the engines as well as the rounded fins of the engines but built the model around already exixting parts. For the cockpit window they've used "30372 Windscreen 4 x 7 x 1 & 2-3" and for the rounded front of the engines 30083 Windscreen 6 x 6 x 3 Dome with Hinge and for the rounded fins of the engines 32077 Wheel 28 x 70 Futuristic and this is probably the main reason to why the model is a mixture of Classic UCS scale as well as Classic Mini Figure scale with a touch of Special Edition scale.

My ideas for future modifications:

As I'm a huge fan of the 1:28 scale X-Wing Fighter and T.I.E. Interceptor that were the very first two sets in the UCS line I'd love to modify the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter to make it 1:28 scale and more accurate when it comes to the proportions and details of the spaceship. Sure, the X-Wing Fighter and T.I.E. Interceptor also suffer from having serious proportional errors due to the use of already existing parts but the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter suffers even more so. Ultimate MOC creator Gareth "Guybrush" Bowler made the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter in Classic UCS 1:28 scale way ahead of LEGO and I'm kind of torn between the LEGO designers version and his version as his is 1:28 scale and much more movie accurate. These two versions are quite different as Gareth "Guybrush" Bowler use much different building techniques then the LEGO designers has used in theirs and mixing them could make a truly terrific LEGO model of the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter.

First off the engines and their vanes are way too narrow and long and need to be two (2) studs wider and at least 7 studs shorter or maybe even more but then the rounded front or Dome with Hinge and the round back fins or Wheel 28 x 70 Futuristic parts can't be used for the engines. The engines on Gareth "Guybrush" Bowler's version are wider and shorter but has much less details on them compared to the LEGO designers version but if one do use in some way the building techniques from both versions one can make the engines wider and shorter. Second the cockpit and cockpit interior are too narrow and short and need to be around six (6) studs wider and six (6) studs longer but then the cockpit window or Windscreen 4 x 7 x 1 & 2-3 can't be used for the cockpit so Gareth "Guybrush" Bowler's design is a/the solution for this. I haven't really made any exact calculations for everything but the main fuselage should be two (2) studs wider and perhaps a bit shorter and then the way and where the booms attach to the main fuselage and engines need to be modified as it doesn't look quite right at all.

Final words and fun facts:

One thing that one has to be totally clear of is that the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter is a mixture of Classic UCS 1:28 scale as well as Classic Mini Figure scale with a touch of Special Edition scale and of course 1:24 scale on its length so it's a very odd UCS set. The difference between 1:24 and 1:28 would be hard to recreate in LEGO form due to the limitations of the medium so basically the only major difference one could possibly be able to create between these two scales would be the length. According to my very own calculations it would however be much more easier to modify it to 1:28 scale in all aspects and it would even be very easy to be able to modify it into Mini Figure scale which brings me to...

The unreleased super detailed prototype Mini Figure scale Y-Wing Attack Starfighter?

Yes, a unreleased super detailed protype Mini Figure scale Y-Wing Attack Starfighter DO exist. Before any of you guys start to mouth off at me go check this "old" picture:

Unreleased super detailed prototype Mini Figure scale Y-Wing Attack Starfighter

When this scan from some LEGO? magazine surfaced amongst all the LEGO communities many long years ago people weird enough didn't talk too much about it which I've found really weird with all the whining and begging for a re-designed Y-Wing Attack Starfighter. The few who did talk about it kind of argued if it was either a UCS or a Mini Figure scale model but the scan kind of clearly shows it's a Mini Figure scale model as if one look really close one can see a mini figure sitting in the cockpit which reveal it as being a Mini Figure scale model. Then again one can just by looking at it clearly see that it's a Mini Figure scale model and not UCS scale but in a super detailed form and this unreleased prototype have a whole lot in common with the 1:24 scale UCS model which the ones who own it can see. A qualified guess of mine is that LEGO chickened out of making a true Mini Figure scale model of the Y-Wing Attack Starfighter and re-designed it completely into UCS scale and except for using already existing parts that's why this set is basically four different scales.

Rating:

Pieces 10/10 - But what do I know?

Mini Figures 1/10 - The Astromech Droid is out of scale.

Playability/Swoshability - Do you guys really run around naked and swosh? Swoshability. :rolleyes:

Originality 10/10 - But hey... What do I know?

Set design 7/10 - Interesting. But what scale did they have in mind?

Overall 7 - The LEGO designers could've done MUCH better.

Useful resources:

Star Wars.com Databank Y-Wing Attack Starfighter

Databank Y-Wing Attack Starfighter Profile

Reto "Warhawk" Geiger's Y-Wing Attack Starfighter over at the Brickshelf website

Modified Y-Wing Attack Starfighter

Gareth "Guybrush" Bowler's Y-Wing Attack Starfighter over at the FBTB website

Classic UCS 1:28 scale Y-Wing Attack Starfighter

Sweden - The One... And Only.

Copyright Lars-Olof Olsson 2006.

After falling asleep twice and 3 cups of coffee due to the lenght of this thesis, I truly like the wonderful love story between you and Eva :wink:

*Waking up*

Ah my apologies, its all about the UCS Ywing :tongue:

Scaling is a bit weird once you have the RBR, Snow and Ywing throning next to each other !!! Bottom line who cares because all those models can not be of the same scale :wink:

I really love this model !!! The only thing is that I'm too lazy to modify the MF scale Ywing (the only Ywing that really needs heavy mods IMO !!!) !!!

Great review as usual Sweden, but I have a good question for you, what is UCS anyway ??? :-D :tongue:

Yoda

this ucs is probably my favourite... it's more or less MF scale... it has great details and it's really fun to build, so i'm not complaining

xwingyoda

The part of falling asleep and needing coffee was funny the first time but not the second time and it's all getting old and boring as people has done it before. I'm not looking for praise and admiration but I'm not looking for old boring jokes either. I've got a great sense of humor and the ones who knows me know that to be very true but the type of post you made could be interpreted in several ways. Reading between the lines I at least find that it's unclear if it's a old boring joke or mocking. If you don't like my type of posts then don't read them only to complain about them afterwards. I don't find that stuff or behavior amusing at all. If you got something constructive to say then say so but leave the old boring jokes out. Thank you.

Maybe I missunderstood you but your post was a bit unclear.

The love story... Glad you liked it but I haven't even begin to write about that because that's a true love story between a man and a woman that most of you guys never ever will experience but that's another story that I'll keep to myself.

Yeah, scaling is very weird if you place the UCS X-Wing Fighter, T.I.E. Interceptor, Rebel Blockade Runner, Naboo Fighter, Imperial Star Destroyer, Snowspeeder and Y-Wing Attack Starfighter next to each other. The scaling is weird because they're made in six (6) totally different scales. Only the X-Wing Fighter and T.I.E. Interceptor are in the exact same 1:28 scale but the Naboo Fighter, Snowspeeder and Y-Wing Attack Starfighter could also very easily have been made in 1:28 scale. If one knows ones stuff and if one has some brains one can understand that it's totally unreasonable to make the Rebel Blockade Runner and Imperial Star Destroyer in 1:28 scale and they can't even be made in the same scale as UCS models unless in they're made in mini form.

I've never ever said that I wanted capitol ships like the Rebel Blockade Runner and Imperial Star Destroyer in the same 1:28 scale as smaller one and two man fighters like the X-Wing Fighter and T.I.E. Interceptor because that's stupid and impossible and that's something you and other people claim and not me. When you say that all those ships can't be made in the exact same scale you're right but also totally wrong as the smaller one and two man fighters CAN be made in exactly the same scale. You say that no one cares about if they're in the same scale and yet you still want a re-designed Mini Figure Y-Wing Attack Starfighter so you are contradicting yourself when you say that scale and accuracy doesn't matter and I find that amusing.

The very same issue of scale and accuracy is a very heated discussion amongst the collectors and builders in the model kit communities where they one week says it doesn't matter and the next it's the end of the world and when one remind them of it they mock you for it. It's so weird that when one person want scale and accuracy it's okay and all others join saying so and the next week it doesn't matter at all and when one says one want it then it's not okay and all others join in saying so. Then when one ask people about it they mock you and even get really hostile for being contradicting themselves. Go figure.

It's totally clear to me at least that you see the Mini Figure scale and UCS scale as two (2) totally different entities and that you separate these scales from each other and by doing that you got a sense of scale so how can you say that scale and accuracy doesn't matter at all? Go figure.

So if scale and accuracy doesn't matter at all then go buy yourself the UCS Y-Wing Attack Starfighter and call it Mini Figure scale and swosh it around with the Mini Figure X-Wing Fighter and then tell me that you don't care about scale and accuracy.

Sweden - The Very One... And Only.

I'm truly sorry that I'm not at your level of a 14 year old

Though you just acted like one... :unsure:

Honestly, even if Yoda's post missed some Smilies to indicate that he was only kidding you, you surely overreacted! If you have problems with the respond of one person it isn't a reason to delete all your work!

As you might have noticed most reviews that were published by various members lately were very visual. That has nothing to do with the (intellectual) age of the reviewer or the reader but it is just a better way to illustrate the pros and cons of Lego sets.

So a huge written review is different to the other reviews and there are the people that like it this way and there are also some that dislike it. Other reviews also got comments like "Hey, you only show pictures, where is the text?" but those comments didnt make the reviewers to delete them completely!

I personally like reviews best that are inbetween those two extremas, but since you always were one of the members that wrote down well thought, long and nicely written posts that were worth reading, I really looked forward to take some time (after my math test saturday) for reading carefully your review and I really hope you will act as wise as you did always before and put the review back to the post where it belongs.

What is happening here Sweden ???

I really don't know how you over reacted to my "humourous" post since you edited it *wacko*

I always love your long and articulate posts, G its not my fault if you have no sense of humour at all *wacko* !!!!!

Don't tell me that you, a member I always appreciated for his writing skills and really nice posts, is behaving like those kids that are thrown in the chamber *wacko*

After that, tell me who is acting as a 14 years old kid ???

Yoda

ApophisV

No. I didn't. I was just annoyed with the type of answer xwingyoda gave because it's ever so common.

Well, in a way you're right at least about deleting my post entirely but when the very first reply is about falling asleep and comparing in very weird ways instead of something constructive one might as well give up.

When The LEGO Company first announced and released the LEGO Star Wars line way back in 1999 websites and forums shortly after surfaced on the Internet for the kids and adult fans of this line. At that time MANY years ago it was fun and rewarding to be a part of a community like these and one could meet people that one became penpal with and one could have really great conversations. But it didn't take too long before it all started to fall apart and a whole lot of people might accuse the younglings but even the adult fans as well as the admins are to blame for this. From Bricks to Bothans are the prime example of this and for the ones who seen or knows me from there knows what I mean without going into a lengthy discussion. From Bricks to Bothans has become a club for the admirers of themselves with fans who are self proclaimed admins and from time to time one can sense that type of feeling over here as well. That's why I got pissed. If Eurobricks is supposed to better and more serious people should start and act more better and serious. Turd like what's going on at From Bricks to Bothans doesn't belong here if you're better and more serious. Period.

Yeah, I've noticed that reviews published of lately on here have been more visual but you're a bit wrong as the intellectual age of the reviewer and reader sometimes have something to do with visual stuff. Most kids and teenagers as well as adults of today want visual stuff because they've become way too lazy to engage themselves in something more indeept. Sign of the times we live in I guess. My girlfriend Eva Katarina is a grade school teacher and a well educated one and we have often talked about this fact from time to time and as she's quite different then me she still sees the same thing. A very good review to me at least is both huge and well written and visual.

Yes, a huge and well written review is way different from a just visual review but I live by a simple rule and that's "if you don't like it well don't read and post complaints about it but constructive critizism is welcome." Even if something is meant as a joke I think it's utterly stupid to make comments like "I feel asleep reading your stuff and needed coffe to make it through" or "can't you write dude" because it's stupid and makes you wonder about that person. And you'll never ever see me doing that. I ONLY post when I feel like I've got something to say or when I want to compliment a person. But hey... That's me.

Yeah, I don't make posts just to score points or to get up the ladder on the ranking list as you've noticed but I write well thought out and long nicely written posts for the ones who wants something more then the usual 30 pages long threads about the coming LEGO Batman sets or the typical what should I buy post. You can look forward to read my review of 10134 UCS Y-Wing Attack Starfighter after your math test on Saturday and that's only because you made a nicely written reply to my post. I am very wise. People who know me know that. But when something p*** me off... Well... Then it p*** me off.

My review is made for the ones who wants something more then the usual and ever so common stuff and not for the swoshfactor or what should I buy type of fans. If people want that then don't read my review and complain about it. Plain and simple.

Sweden - The Very One... And Only.

xwingyoda

I've edited my first reply to you. Go read it if you want a answer.

Oh... And by the way. I'm soon to be 38 years young. And I act like 38.

And no. I don't Swosh around naked.

Sweden - The One... And Only.

Ok i see theres abit of arguing going on here so lets try and keep this under control, Sweden i have to confess that i dont know you and therefore i dont have an opinion about you.

However i do feel that you have over reacted and attack someone just because they didnt write what you wanted to read, now i know that your feelings may be hurt because you might feel that yoda wasnt joking but now that you know he was can we please just let this drop and let people read the review that youve written.

vader316

Is there really a need in this case for a second (2) Admin to have to step into the missunderstanding or whatever it is between xwingyoda and me? No. Surely he's a big boy who can take care of himself as he's a Admin on Eurobricks. As he wasn't here at the time of my reply to his post ApophisV stepped in and said a few words which is enough for me at least but what do I know. I just answered to his post making my point and making myself clear as well as editing my reply to xwingyoda and that's all. It's not like it's a p*****g contest you know. If a missunderstanding or even a conflict occurs the very best thing to do is to look into why it happened and then try to solve it without taking sides. A truly good and fair Admin does all that. He doesn't take sides. He plainly says: "It's a missunderstanding. This is how we solve it. Lets leave it to rest now boys."

Read my post number 9 in this topic and then tell me if I'm making a joke or if I'm serious or even being sarcastic. Hard to tell huh? I figured it was. Who knows. But I do. Then maybe you can understand my point of view. Your friend xwingyoda did the very same thing. I'm not the only one who felt he was rude towards me. I'm not even the only one who feels that you guys team up against me. Then again it's enough with one Admin handling the case and in this case it's xwingyoda as he can speak for himself. If Eurobricks are a much better place then From Bricks to Bothans then maybe you should start acting much better. Do as you please and Bananarama me or even delete my review completely. With these words I lay the matter to rest but keep in mind that if Eurobricks is the place to be then let it be the place to be.

Matter closed.

A big thank you to a unknown friend. You know who you are. Thank you again.

Sweden - The One... And only.

Yikes.... stuff can really flare up on a message board. Bummer this became such a controversial thread.

However, I do want to say that I appreciate how people on Eurobricks make a genuine effort on all sides to keep things civilized and polite. I've never actually visited FBTB (after the horror stories I've heard here I have no interest in doing so), but the handful of other message boards I frequent are SO much more hostile and rambling. Most of them seem to de-generate into name-calling and profanity after five or six posts.

I really like that Eurobricks remains sane, respectful, and informative. Even when people disagree or when misunderstandings arise, I think this is a much better place to be than most newsgroups. That's all, just wanted to say that! :smile:

Oh, and to swing the topic back around to the Y-Wing, thanks for the good review! I love this set, I believe it is my favorite Lego Star Wars set ever (the Y-Wing is my favorite SW ship, and I was very excited when they made a UCS model out of it... it was the set that convinced me to start buying UCS sets, and I've never looked back). I had never realized the scale was so off.... that's a shame, but I can't help it, I still love this model.

I really hope they do another, more detailed re-issue of the System Scale version, incorporating the best elements of this UCS version.

Matter closed???? Sweden you accuse me of not being a fair admin?

I didnt step in to help my friend as you put it no i merley posted my opinion which is what these forums are all about, im sorry that once again you have trouble accepting others opinions just because they dont agree with you.

You say that staff here team up against you??? to my knowleadge this is only the second time ive ever responded to one of your posts and the first time was in this topic.

The bottom line is that i called it how i saw it and thats what i posted, if yoda or anyone else here had of reacted like you did then i would of posted the same response.

Now perhaps we can leave this alone and as i said before enjoy your review.

I'd give it an overall of 10/10 and it definately has a swoosh around 9 or 10/10. It's easier to run around and swoosh than the 9171 UCS X-Wing Fighter. :wub::wub: Also I think the design is PERFECT!

KimT

EDIT: YES I SWOOSH AND YES SOMETIMES IN THE NUDE

EDIT 2: AND I'M 30 :tongue:

It is a thing of beauty but do we really need to know that you swoosh in the nude Kimt???? :biggrin: :biggrin:

It is a thing of beauty but do we really need to know that you swoosh in the nude Kimt???? :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm gonna have to say no, I'll never buy the Y-wing now :tongue:

Perhaps lego could add a Kimt to the set with real swoosh included :biggrin:

I'm not sure that would be such a good idea :wink: Are you trying to scare everyone away from lego? :tongue: