Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Gold City Junction Photo Review

Wild West Gold City Junction Set 6765

Released 1996 $49.99 U.S.D.

Gold City Junction is probably my favorite of the Wild West sets. It offers two separate buildings, a bank and a general store, a very nice money wagon, two exclusive Wild West figs (not offered in any other set), a cannon, two brown horses, one black horse, four other detailed figs, and a lot of guns, tools, safes, and other accessories.

Starting with the General Store: a simple design with brown log bricks and walls, and very nice green door and window with general Store sticker.

generalstorefront.jpg

Inside the store is a small barrel, tools, guns, and dynamite:

generalstoreback.jpg

The Bank is a nicely designed building, mostly built with white bricks. The Bank sign is a single sticker fitting over three bricks (2 1x8s and specialized brick with curves).

bankfront.jpg

Inside the bank is a vault that holds a safe(s) and a single safe on the floor to perform teller transactions:

bankback.jpg

On the side of the bank is a small groove to insert a brick of dynamite. Inserting the dynamite causes the front wall with attached seat to come apart. Unfortunately, unlike the Sheriff's jail, this doesn't fly off as well. The seat seams to prevent a smooth separation.

bankside.jpg

The money wagon is a great stand-alone set:

wagon.jpg

Lifting the side door reveals a place to stick the dynamite:

dynamite.jpg

Pushing it in will lift the spring piece and blow off the back and safe. This works very well as the back side is not very heavy.

dynamite2.jpg

The six figs in this set include the exclusive Banker and Bank Coach Driver (at least I use him as the driver):

figs.jpg

The back of the box with alternate models:

boxback.jpg

Conclusion:

I drove all over town and called every toy store in town looking for this set. When I finally found it sometime in the late 90s, I was so excited to get it as it had been discontinued for a few years (can't remember the year I bought it). I find this set the most fun of all the Wild West sets, and it seems to have the biggest collection of different Wild West pieces. I'm partial to buildings and that's why I might like it a little more than Fort Legoredo. I particularly like the money wagon for those shipments of gold and money that can easily be robbed. This is a great set and I highly recommend buying if you can find one. I was surprised Lego did not re-release this set in 2002 with the others as it is an awesome set. I hope this image review does this set the justice it deserves - truly a classic!

The Brickster you are on fire with these reviews! Initially I was only asking for a review of Fort Legorado but you kept going and I'm glad you did. These reviews give me a whole new perspective on the Western theme. Excellent work!

Thanks Phes. I'm a bit of a completist, and if I do one, I have to do them all - at least the medium to large sets (esp. when Fort Legoredo is not my favorite). Actually, it was kind of fun, and adds to my appreciation of these sets. The Wild West theme really brought me out of my Lego "dark ages" as I had not bought any sets between WW and the Carribean Clipper (this gives you an idea of how long that span was- quite a few years to say the least.

And if others find these reviews useful making them look for these sets and buy, it adds interest to the theme which I can't say enough- how Lego should make more of these historic themes. I can go out and buy a new KK or Viking set, and just not enjoy them as much as I do these. I generally set these sets up for display and appreciate looking at them until I break them down again, sometimes building a MOC or two in between. Perhaps you feel the same way about Pirates. If I had an Eldorado Fortress and a few of the other excellent Pirate sets, I'd probably feel the same about pirates (I don't care to buy now over Ebay). Trains are my other enjoyment as I have most since buying MOT to go with Wild West. Trains and Wild West go hand-in-hand for me and my perception/idealistic view of the Western United States (driving between major cities).

I still have two of the Indian sets which I never opened (so won't be posting pictures of these).

In any case, hope you and the others enjoy the images.

How about doing a photo review of the Eldorado Fortress for me? I only saw this set in pictures. May have held it in the store years ago, but can't recall. If you want to oblige my images of the Wild West theme.

Dammit, Brickster, you made me wanna have those sets! ;)

I've liked the Western Theme all along [1] but haven't bought any sets yet since they're not in stores anymore. I found the second edition of Fort Legoredo yesterday at a superstore/warehouse, but for 60 Euro, though it's below its original retail price, I didn't want to buy it. I also found quite a few Bandits Hide Out on the german ebay site. One set went away for 10.49 Euros which I think is a pretty good deal (complete with instructions, no box).

I think I'll pursue this theme, even if my girlfriend starts rolling her eyes more and more and wondering where I'll put all that stuff ;)

Thanks for the reviews!

[1] To whom it may interest:

I was a Western fan way back in the 80s and my brother and I built western cities and minifigs with the normal city sets and minifigs since there was no western theme at that time (there were those "city cowboy hats" which was enough for our imagination). So one day we decided to write LEGO (and playmobil, since we had both toys back then) and suggest a western theme (actually we wanted a civil war theme but western in general would be a great idea). In those days we used pen and paper - boy, was that long ago. Anyways, playmobil answered and thanked us for our interest in their toys and sent us a police bike with a police officer and said they would "consider" it. From LEGO came - nothing. So we continued building our fake western towns and western minifigs. And then the themes came out and we both ran to our parents shouting "We thought of that! That's our idea!"

Oh, the gold ole times... *snif*

Oh Hobbes, you've posted in our forum again! Its so miraculous because its so infrequent these days!

Yeah, well, sheer exhaustion from LEGO-shopping, sorting my bricks, (re)arranging my layout and working on my first train mod, i guess...

Sure thing!  Just buy me a digital camera and I'll get to work on that right away!

I could take pictures of mine, send them to you (or have you download them from my webspace if that's easier) and you write the review (I wouldn't know what to write). How's that? It's complete, just a minifig here or there might not be original...

Oh Hobbes, you've posted in our forum again!  Its so miraculous because its so infrequent these days!

Yeah, well, sheer exhaustion from LEGO-shopping, sorting my bricks, (re)arranging my layout and working on my first train mod, i guess...

We miss you Hobbes!

Sure thing! Just buy me a digital camera and I'll get to work on that right away!

Quit spending all your money on Lego! A digital camera is a must. How else can you take pictures of Lego?

Sure thing!  Just buy me a digital camera and I'll get to work on that right away!

Quit spending all your money on Lego! A digital camera is a must. How else can you take pictures of Lego?

yeah... you claim you have a collection of pirates, but we've never seen any evidence :P

Dammit, Brickster, you made me wanna have those sets! ;)

I've liked the Western Theme all along [1] but haven't bought any sets yet since they're not in stores anymore. I found the second edition of Fort Legoredo yesterday at a superstore/warehouse, but for 60 Euro, though it's below its original retail price, I didn't want to buy it. I also found quite a few Bandits Hide Out on the german ebay site. One set went away for 10.49 Euros which I think is a pretty good deal (complete with instructions, no box).

I think I'll pursue this theme, even if my girlfriend starts rolling her eyes more and more and wondering where I'll put all that stuff ;)

Thanks for the reviews!

I was a Western fan way back in the 80s and my brother and I built western cities and minifigs with the normal city sets and minifigs since there was no western theme at that time (there were those "city cowboy hats" which was enough for our imagination). So one day we decided to write LEGO (and playmobil, since we had both toys back then) and suggest a western theme (actually we wanted a civil war theme but western in general would be a great idea). In those days we used pen and paper - boy, was that long ago. Anyways, playmobil answered and thanked us for our interest in their toys and sent us a police bike with a police officer and said they would "consider" it. From LEGO came - nothing. So we continued building our fake western towns and western minifigs. And then the themes came out and we both ran to our parents shouting "We thought of that! That's our idea!"

Did you buy Fort Legoredo Hobbes? If you didn't, I would be back in the store as soon as it opens. You can still buy all of these sets on Ebay but at a hefty price.

In reading your small note about contacting Lego and Playmobil, I think that's a neat story. We used town sets as well when I was a kid (like the Auto Shop in Main Street, and the old brick horses from the yellow castle - lances for guns. Thats what we had to work with and the fun element was still top notch!

In regard to Playmobil, I've still got most of their 80s Western Sets in excellent condition, with the exception of the train, train station, ranch, and church. These are great sets and look very good displayed. This is what I want Lego to still build. Maybe one day I'll see Lego do it, and on that day, Lego fans will think of Hobbes, Brickster, and others that wrote the letters to Lego asking for Civil War, Alamo, and other western sets.

Post images of your train model when complete Hobbes. I'd like to see them.

Looks good Hobbes. Nice job. This is the only "new" train that I didn't buy. I'm running out of room, I haven't had much luck with building my own trains. I'd love to do an Orient Express.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with your recent Ebay win. They are truly great sets. I just did a review of the Weapons Wagon, my introduction to the Wild West Theme. Shoot 'em up!

PS. I think I should charge those Ebay sellers a commission!

Yeah, a Civil War theme would've been cool (images himself playing with a Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson and Robert E. Lee minifig), Playmobil did that, so why not you LEGO! ;)

That's awesome! Why didn't I buy more Frontier Patrols when I had a chance? I could of easily built an army just like this.

Confederate troops would have been cool as well. I don't know why Lego didn't do this like Playmobil.

Yes, you're absolutely right. I've reduced my expenditure and now have accumulated some money for such a purpose.

Here's my own. I'd never sell these though:

Brickster's U.S. Army

The Brickster, are these your extra mini-figures? By this I mean the spare ones that don't belong in any set. Or is this all of them?

By the way, would you like me to move these posts to a new thread? Other users might have some interesting input and as this is a review thread of Gold City Junction they might not look here and find this discussion.

No these are all the figs from the sets. I have one of each Western set with the exception of the Weapons Wagon (have two). A total of 14 figs - and I have more horses. I don't think that's a bad fig count at all.

My reply was in fact posted to My Own Creations as U.S. Army.