Sign in to follow this  
Eilif

PF trains running on other tracks?

traintech1.jpg

Hey folks,

Here's something I thougth of. The new PF functions trains still use the classic 9v trucks for the cars. These trucks are fixed width. However, the wheels for the engine are separate elements. Using these wheels to brick-build all the trucks on a train, wouldn't it be possible to build a LEGO train that would ride on O or O-27, or even G scale rails?

It might be a slightly expensive proposition to order all the wheels you would need, but heck it's the new PF system, what's another 50 bucks?

Hey folks,

Here's something I thougth of. The new PF functions trains still use the classic 9v trucks for the cars. These trucks are fixed width. However, the wheels for the engine are separate elements. Using these wheels to brick-build all the trucks on a train, wouldn't it be possible to build a LEGO train that would ride on O or O-27, or even G scale rails?

It might be a slightly expensive proposition to order all the wheels you would need, but heck it's the new PF system, what's another 50 bucks?

Assuming you found the right combination of technic axle and train wheels - sure, sounds like it would work just fine. Not a bad idea, come to think of it.

--Tony

Hey folks,

It could make 6-wide trains fit O-gauge track, which is nearer the scale of the trains (less alteration to models).

It could allow those with bigger ambitions to model G-scale 10mm:1ft!

If someone would make 1x8 tiles or plates with O-gauge rail clips over the 2nd and 7th studs, we could use O-gauge rails for 9V trains at L-gauge and deafen the flexi-track with the sound of our silence! (Sean Connery voice from The Hunt for Red October :classic: ). Only one piece is needed, so mass-production is feasible.

Mark

Thanks for the input guys. You make this sound pretty feasible. I checked on BL, and the small wheels are only about a buck and change each, so assuming you have a pretty good part selection, you're only looking at an investment of 10 bucks per car to run them on standard model railroad tracks, which are available in a multitude of configurations, plentiful and fairly inexpensive on the 2nd hand market.

Oh, the possibilities!

Thanks for the input guys. You make this sound pretty feasible. I checked on BL, and the small wheels are only about a buck and change each, so assuming you have a pretty good part selection, you're only looking at an investment of 10 bucks per car to run them on standard model railroad tracks, which are available in a multitude of configurations, plentiful and fairly inexpensive on the 2nd hand market.

Oh, the possibilities!

The small PF train wheels are on LEGO S@H PaB, too, last I checked they were running about $0.50 a piece, so even cheaper.

--Tony

If someone would make 1x8 tiles or plates with O-gauge rail clips over the 2nd and 7th studs, we could use O-gauge rails for 9V trains at L-gauge and deafen the flexi-track with the sound of our silence!

(Something similar's) been done already:

Straights

Curves

(Something similar's) been done already:

Straights

Curves

Wow that's pretty cool. I have to say though, that it seems that it would be much easier to build your own trucks rather than build one's own tracks. Still, especially for those who want to keep their 9v system and not buy the ever-more-expensive LEGO track, this could be a good option.

Wow that's pretty cool. I have to say though, that it seems that it would be much easier to build your own trucks rather than build one's own tracks. Still, especially for those who want to keep their 9v system and not buy the ever-more-expensive LEGO track, this could be a good option.

I've had the ICE running on 12V tracks with 12V motor - goes well!

th_DSCF0265.jpg