Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Creative Storage Containers

We've discussed storage and organizing methods for Lego numerous times on EB, but are there any of you who are storing your Lego in a "non-traditional" storage box or container?

It would be interesting to see some of these storage containers for those of you who aren't storing Lego in a tradional Lego box or plastic "stack-'em" box.

Share your thoughts and storage boxes.

I personally use some box ( 4 of these) normally ( and formally ) used for little mechanic stuff like nails or things... I use these box to store my minifigs accessories, 1x1 plates and little parts ( round and squares one).

my others storage are made of this kind of furniture (not this one exactly, but kind of) :

497500_g.jpg

I bought about the same as Guss now, but with three 'levels' then, I am now gradually storing my LEGO into them.

Before them I just stored them in large plastic boxes and in taped banana boxes (chiquita!).

I mostly use the popular Stack-on plastic drawer sets, but some of my parts are in the Technic storage box from the old 8062 set. It comes with dividers that allow you to customize how big every compartment is.

I've run into the problem of storage recently; having come out of my dark age last year after an almost 8 year hiatus, my collection has grown considerably. I did get the red storage container that TLC was selling a little while ago, and while it's good for the smaller amounts of LEGO colors I own (sand blue, purple, etc.), not sure how to store my larger color collections (white, black, etc.). Right now they are just in plastic containers similar to what Guss posted along with 2 tubs of bulk brick containers I had laying around. Eager to see what other people suggest on here... :classic:

Well, I don't know about unusual, but mines are stored in old cardboard shoe boxes and plastic ice cream ones. Oh, and a few cookies tin boxes as well.

I tend to get my hands on anything that might fit the bill, really.

As I haven't got that much money to spend on LEGO as it is, I wouldn't want to waste it on storage facilities :grin:

I (& Ras) use these a lot for storage:

481015001.jpg & 48103001.jpg

The first is 1,5 litre and the second is 3 litre. I have about 250 1,5L and 80 3L.

CopMike

I don't have a unique storage method, my parts are sorted in storage bins. However, I do store my sets in zipper bags.

I use one of these babies

Wow, now that's pretty interesting. I might have to try those out.

Edited by dieselboy m

I (& Ras) use these a lot for storage:

481015001.jpg & 48103001.jpg

The first is 1,5 litre and the second is 3 litre. I have about 250 1,5L and 80 3L.

CopMike

I use a bunch of these, a lot of ziplock bags and a couple of these:

312374_X_2007-06-26_111607_626.jpg

/Johan

Well, I don't know about unusual, but mines are stored in old cardboard shoe boxes and plastic ice cream ones. Oh, and a few cookies tin boxes as well.

Intertesting - these are great examples of the kinds of boxes that I had in mind when creating this thread, as many people use the plastic variety pictured throughout this topic.

I store different sets in different kinds of boxes; mostly their original box, but I also have a few not in boxes.

I have a collection of the smaller Adventurer sets that I like to keep together as I'm sometimes pulling parts from these sets. I store them in a "secret chest" that I enjoying opening when I need them. It makes for a fun adventure.

adventurebox.jpg

I use the plastic inserts from the advent calanders an IKEA wooden drawer set (might get a second or third) and lots and lots of screw sorter boxes. I have gashapon eggs (the plastic two part eggs and deformed spheres that anime figures come in from dispensers) and tic tac boxes too. All of them have been used to store parts. The pods that old creator sets came in (I had two) have also been pressed into use, unless I need one in a MOC.

I have lots of other odd containers to use too.

I wish I had something interesting to share, but my storage solutions are entirely conventional. Plastic storage boxes that are about the size of shoe boxes and then craft boxes that have dividers in it for various pieces. I also use the Stack-On tool drawers for loose pieces.

I store small parts (like weapons + accesories) in tackle or beading boxes. The bricks I've got a lot of I sort by shape in cheap, plastic drawers. I used to store my minifigure's torsos in coin collector's plastic-separator sheet things for binders. This, however, can scratch the printing slightly if any dust or sand gets trapped in the pockets, so to be safe I stopped using this method.

:classic:

Well, I'm starting to consider picking up a wooden "treasure chest" for my '09-on Pirates (and possibly another for "Classic Pirates", assuming I can find the sets I missed through Bricklink or somesuch...)

Well, I'm starting to consider picking up a wooden "treasure chest" for my '09-on Pirates (and possibly another for "Classic Pirates", assuming I can find the sets I missed through Bricklink or somesuch...)

That's a really creative and fun idea. I had thought about doing something similar to keep my pirate sets together. My wooden chests are a bit too small though.

Fishing tackle boxes work miracles. Especially if you can get the ones with the customizable compartment sizes.

Yeah these things are great, I saw some on special over the holiday break for AU$10 at big hardware chain store in Australia (Bunnings), I grabbed 2 thinking they looked liked they'd be good to store my smaller pieces in. After taking them home and organizing pieces into them I went out the next day and bought 3 more :)

The way I do it though, several of the colours I have a lot of (black, grey, dark grey) I've used one tackle box for each colour, but it only contains pieces under 4x studs long, anything else over that is in a sealed plastic tub. I find most of the time I'm looking for pieces, they're the small fiddly ones so this system works great.

I plan to go buy 3 more of them this weekend :)

I already posted this in the EBNews interview (random advertising): my wooden LEGO container (made by my father and one of my uncles) :wub:

legoroom.jpg

It has always been in my room from as long as I can remember, and now it's beginning to be a bit too small for my whole collection (I usually take apart all my models after a while, and storage pieces there for future MOCs)... :look:

The pieces that can't be put in it anymore are now stored in standard plastic tool boxes, used wooden spumante boxes, emptied ice-cream boxes and 3 old Toa canisters :tongue:

Finally, I'm considering a re-organization of the collection with a more homogeneous method :blush:

LuxorV

What a neat thread. My storage system ( http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22165 )is also pretty conventional, consisting of LEGO tubs/buckets/suitcases, plastic containers, and mini drawer organizers, but it's great to see some of the unique ways different people have come up with for sorting their brick. The homemade chest of drawers is particularly nice.

I have my lego sorted by type into bags, fishing tackle boxes with compartments and also small plastic craft draws.

My currently problem is that I bought a huge box full of unsorted Lego in bulk - I now need to go through it and put all the pieces into their relevant places. It is this that far more of a problem than where to put things; just how do you handle so many unsorted pieces quickly.

Edited by Conrad Slater

Like a few other people in the storage and sorting LEGO topic, my family keeps the LEGO bricks (besides bulky specialized pieces from castles, boats, BIONICLE, etc.) sorted into containers much like these. Each container holds one or more shapes. Some shapes (basic bricks, for example) have multiple drawers, divided up by color.

On a lesser note, for individual minifigures I want to carry with me and show off, I've taken to keeping those in plastic film canisters.

I have around 20 of these jif_creamy.gif. They work great for those small pieces such as headlight, 1x1 plates and tiles, and such.

Edited by Follows Closely

If you know someone who has a baby and is feeding the baby Gerber food, check with them. Some Gerber food comes in small resealable plastic tub that could be cleaned ad reused to store small or uncommon pieces. ie one small tub for all of your white 1x1 round plate, etc. They stack well too.