Sign in to follow this  
Dannylonglegs

[O - H06] Pipe Dreams

Tags: Land Vehicle, Civil Structure, Science

Planet: H06, Farmolis

"I feel a malaise has grown within myself. This static life does not suit me in the least. It's not enough. I need... more. I want... more...."

27064363431_ec6657db43_z.jpgPipe Dreams by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"I despise standing still in the fast lane. I've been on sabbatical since I was retrieved from my imprisonment on F03's Forring... obviously this was not optional. A slew of tests were conducted upon me... to determine the cause of my memory loss... to determine whether I'd been implanted with any spyware, biological or technologically based. All tests showed negative. I had been drugged nightly with an amnesia inducing compound, and my drone had been hacked. End of story. The remainder of the investigation must take place outside a lab, if my captors are to be brought to justice. And to those ends I have enlisted the assistance of one of my most trusted, and loyal colleagues. I hope he can find those responsible... and ... perhaps even... dare I mention... the object I've seen... only in dreams of that place... the enclosed place... the hexagonal walls... the map. The key... no... I refuse to deal in fantasies and illusions. There are concretes. I was detained. There is someone responsible for that. I await Dr. Edris's message."

"Waiting. It sickens me. Like stagnant water, it breeds pestilence of the mind. I've written and published two books over the course of my stay (one, "a Guide to Andromeda's Xenobiology; When, Where, and How to Apply Xenobiological Principles," and an informal discussion on the implications of human science in the Andromeda Galaxy, "The Modern Darwins"). and, I've taken a course on Kawashita technological advances... but it's not enough. I yearn to be surrounded by activity and scientific discovery... but I have not been able to leave Farmolis, or attend to my duties upon the Axle--Doctors orders."

27063945941_bbbf60583a_z.jpgPipe Dreams by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"And so every morning at exactly 7:00 am, I get my exercise in--Doctor's orders. I ride my bike on the maintenance access road of the South Grid Pipeline. It runs from Farmolis City (also known as Farmolis Headquarters City) to Texicana Station. In the early days, Farmolis Headquarters City performed all aspects of Awesomnium production: Extraction, Purification, and Shipping... but now Farmolis city has taken on a more Administrative role, and serves as the planet's port city, and center of Octan colonization in Andromeda. Texicana Station is the primary purification site, and so, this pipe channels a constant stream of pure, fuel-grade Awesomnium to Farmolis Headquarters' Shipping district. These access roads run the whole length, as does the canal of naturally occurring liquid Awesomnium... but I'm not riding nearly that far. Just as far as Kilometer Marker 17. At approximately 7:45 am, I arrive at this point and begin riding back... but not before I indulge my intellect a little."

26858029180_ea58b06669_z.jpgPipe Dreams by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"Kilometer marker 17 is placed in the thick of Farmolis' s famous farming district. The densest packed, most nutritious, strongest, GM EthiCORN ™ is grown here. The fields stretch to the horizon, and are almost entirely regulated by machines, who conduct all the hydration, pesticide dispersal, harvesting, etc... it's deliciously efficient.... however, on my daily rides, I've noticed a local specimen of Xenobotanical nature that seems to have developed an immunity to Octan's pesticides... it is an interesting find; a novel xenobotanical specimen on the planet longest occupied by our force. Life finds a way, as they say."

27037951512_277b6e1d52_z.jpgPipe Dreams by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"I've been recording it's growth patterns. It grows swiftly, and seems to seek increased hight, as it has begun to wrap around the power pole beside the canal. I lack a Logbook, so I've devoted this data to a simple recording device I purchased in the interim. When I escape this sisyphean sabbatical, I will add this specimen to the Axle's databank. Then, perhaps we can devise a pesticide capable of exterminating it."

26858354160_ccce5ac24c_z.jpgPipe Dreams by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"Soon. Soon I will be aboard my beloved Axle, and all these planets to which we've gained access will yield their rewards. Within our grasp, these worlds will be investigated and examined. We will catalog the soil components. Capture and tag the wildlife. Extract and analyze the flora. All will be perfectly understood, and by understanding, we will control, and exert our will upon the natural world in perfect efficiency. For profit."

27037630382_2fdd089505_z.jpgPipe Dreams by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

"There is science to be done. And I will be back to it... very soon now, I think."

27101430006_f1a210a2f0_z.jpgPipe Dreams by Danny-Longlegs, on Flickr

(Sorry for the short novel. Hopefully it provides a little insight into Dr. Long's motivation. Also, I have more pictures. I just haven't edited them yet. They'll be up before the deadline. Pics up!)

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

The elevated roadway design is lovely :wub: Quite a pretty landscape with the purple river, and plants on the banks :classic:

The elevated roadway design is lovely :wub: Quite a pretty landscape with the purple river, and plants on the banks :classic:

Thanks! I've been meaning to do something like this for a while. I LoOOooove elevated platforms/roads. :wub:

Thanks! I wish I could've made it bigger but I was conservative with my pieces... turned out I didn't have to be. I built last week's build after I'd finished this one. :laugh: The purple canal was also a pretty big part of my inspiration for this build. As soon as I read Farmolis's description a year ago, this image formed in my head. :classic: a grid of purple liquid cutting through cornfields.

This build brought to you by the American Midwest! :laugh:

Also, some new pics have been added. Enjoy!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Fantastic build! :wub: I really like the design of the side rails for the road, and the landscape is superb as well :thumbup:

This is exactly how I'd expect an Octan recreation area to look. I love how it has a touch of industry with the pipe below. The water/ purple liquid is awesome too. Amazing work!

Great build. The structure is simple but very appealing. It has a nice feel of nature growing around the man-made structures.

Fantastic build! :wub: I really like the design of the side rails for the road, and the landscape is superb as well :thumbup:

Thanks! I wanted to do an alternating yellow and bley pattern there but couldn't find my 4th yellow ladder. Turned out well nonetheless. :classic:

This is exactly how I'd expect an Octan recreation area to look. I love how it has a touch of industry with the pipe below. The water/ purple liquid is awesome too. Amazing work!

Thanks! Glad you agree! It's builds like these that I really enjoy. World building ones. Sure ships and action shots are fun, but I want to explore and flesh out these world's too with my builds. :classic:

Great build. The structure is simple but very appealing. It has a nice feel of nature growing around the man-made structures.

Thanks! The question posed is, whether manmade development is winning, or the nature. :tongue:

The judges awarded you 5 points.

Thanks, the judges!

Great build! I will be stealing your road design one day. :laugh:

You're welcome to it! I imagine roads like this grid Farmolis. I get an "American Midwest vibe, with overpasses, canals, grid-roads, and corn fields, juxtaposed with big industry vibe from the description.

That purple river is so amazing!

Thanks! It was time consuming getting those tiles in place! :laugh:

~Insectoid Aristocrat