Sign in to follow this  
BrickOn

A sweet plantation on Serentia

As you might remember, Akatu a member of the Berellian Ténotclaxcan tribe was recruited by Sir James to aid him in the establishment of a series of plantations in the new world. And this move, it turned out was rather prudent, for it took much longer than anyone could have anticipated to tame the dense forests of Serentia. The climate was perfect for the sugar crop Sir James so desired, but the terrain was rather hostile, the mangroves at the perimeter of island were flat, but much of the water supply was saline and the land was not suited to farming, The interior jungles seemed to resist all attempts to clear them and once removed pushed back almost immediately, giving the Corlander labourers and Akatu’s Ténotclaxcans no rest in the war against the vegetation.

26390694312_ed3d63dc90_z.jpgIrrigationOfTheSugar, on Flickr

The freshwater problems were soon solved by Akatu and his people, who were experts in irrigation techniques and before long terraces like those Sir James admired and observed on Berelli had been constructed just beyond the mangroves of Serentia, not far outside of the harbour of Stormhaven.

25879772753_ee497ff6b8.jpgPloughingThePlantation, on Flickr

It was Gibson who had been charged with inspecting the first crops of the sugar cane. He came in his usual business manner, appearing to not notice the dense jungle and swamps of the island pressing in around them, he did not even remove his top hat. Quill in hand and papers at the ready, he began scribbling notes, numbers and quantities mostly transcribed from the broken Corlandish Akatu spoke. His grim expression never left his face, with Gibson it was always hard to tell if he was actually displeased or whether he just looked that way.

26480195675_f17da9c338.jpgAkatuAndGibsonDiscuss, on Flickr

The Ténotclaxcans who came with Akatu seemed to be totally at ease in Serentia, the humid climate and abundant flora of the island seemed not phase them. The Corlanders on the other hand appeared to be suffering a little in the humidity, but their spirits were high all them same.

“Well everything seems to be in order here”, Gibson finally spoke up as he returned the papers to his pocket, “We’ll arrange a ship to pick up the first harvest and then we’re in business. I trust your accommodation on the island is suitable, do you have enough supplies?”

Akatu merely nodded, Gibson noted his new white breeches, he had already started to change his Ténotclaxcan garb and adopt a more civilised attire. ‘One to watch out for, this chap’, he thought, ‘I hope Sir James has knows what he is doing, dealing with these natives’.

26483513435_1e21fa9b91.jpgPlanviewPlantation, on Flickr

A slightly hastily (read lazily) edited planview shot

Edited by BrickOn

Sweet. Nice continuation of the water irrigation system from your earlier build.

Impressive plantation. I wondered how you'd do the sugar cane. The irrigation has to me my favourite part and the plough is also very clever.

Also I like the 'slightly hastily (read lazily) edited' shot, the overview it gives lets you appreciate the full scale and details you put in. Good to see a Serentia build!

Nice plantation. The terrain and cane plants look great and the water flowing through it is a useful feature. The ox tilling the ground atop the highest terrace is nice as well. It's good to see a plantation that fits the island's description.

aGreat plantaion and nice story. I really like the irrigation works, which fits perfectly into the description of Serentia. The use of the treasure chest lids is very innovative, and I like your sugar canes. The ox and the harrow is a great touch too. Well done!