Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR - Mar FB2] New Tasking

Greetings All,

I apologise in advance for the small builds. I promise you this is not about doubloons! :pir-blush: Instead this post is much more about advancing Dirk's story line to the point where I can next post my Challenge 2 Category A entry! So if you enjoy the story, please read on. If you came only to see some impressive builds, probably best you skip this thread! :pir-laugh:

Bregir's characters have been used with his permission.

Dirk's previous story can be found here

---------------------------

On taking to the high seas again, the Lady Jacqueline came across a small Corlander supply vessel. Surprisingly, she carried two letters for Dirk Allcock! Both were from a gentleman Dirk only knew by reputation, Don Isaac Montoya. Montoya was a well known name in the scientific community and his interests in the area coincided with Dirk’s own. The first letter was a business proposal; apparently Montoya had come into a quite substantial fortune of late. The second interested Dirk far more – an invitation to assist with the founding of a New World branch of the Society of Natural Philosophy. Montoya was currently in the new Corlander colony of Cocovia, establishing a settlement at a place called Kings Harbour. Dirk decided to proceed there at once.

25850799710_186c3bb5c1_c.jpg

King’s Harbour was a beautiful natural harbour on the west side of the island that Corrington had recently christened ‘Cocovia’. The area was bustling with activity as the serious business of establishing a settlement began. As was his duty, Dirk’s first step on proceeding ashore was to report to the temporary Governor of the settlement, Captain Jonathan Cooke.

Dirk found the Governor supervising the unloading of supplies from a newly arrived transport vessel. As the crates and barrels piled up before him, Dirk stopped to watch the naval officer. Relations between the Army and Navy were sometimes strained as the two services competed for funding and prestige. As Captain Cooke held his rank in the Royal Navy, he far outranked Dirk, whose Captains commission was held in the army. The peculiarities between the two services meant that a Captain in the Navy was the equivalent of a full Colonel in the Army. Dirk was impressed with what he saw. Captain Cooke directed and controlled the bustling chaos before him. Aides and civilians would rush up and were dealt with quickly and purposefully. When he felt he had seen enough, he approached the Naval officer and waited to be noticed. As if waiting for his approach, Captain Cooke turned and raised an eyebrow.

25521009603_5344e6cd54_c.jpg

“Captain Dirk Allcock, Her Majesties 47th Regiment of Foot, newly arrived Sir and reporting as a courtesy” announced Dirk with a crisp salute.

“and what brings the Army to King’s Harbour Captain Allcock?” queried Cooke.

“I am on detached duty, with a special roving commission of exploration from the Army board Sir”

“Right… and does this commission specify any specific duties Captain?”

“Well actually no Sir, I have with me 15 men of my light company and am to assist with any exploration or colonisation efforts for the crown as required, I am in town to meet with Don Montoya, with whom I have business and to offer any assistance that I can to your good self Sir.”

“Well Captain, it just so happens I require some assistance, my dear friend Montoya will have to wait! You see, I am devilishly short of Officers - have you, by chance, had any experience with artillery”

“Indeed Sir, as it happens, I was assigned to a Major of the Royal Corps of Artillery for a six month period as a Lieutenant, we toured fortifications conducting inspections and supervision maintenance of batteries in the southern districts of Belson.”

“Ah that is most fortuitous; I have established a prefabricated colonial half battery on the southern arm of this bay, but I need someone to sight and supervise the construction of a second half battery on the northern arm, somewhere over there” Captain Cooke pointed across the bay to the cliff lined northern peninsular. “It is rough country I’m afraid, and I haven’t the time to supervise the placement myself. The second battery is important so that the entry to the bay is completely covered and at this early stage the settlement remains very vulnerable to attack. Do you think yourself capable of this task Captain Allcock?”

“Why yes of course Sir, it would be a pleasure to assist.” replied Dirk.

“Excellent, I shall assign you Midshipmen Knowles here as a liaison, he has the details for the half battery, report back when the battery is complete, now if you will excuse my discourtesy Captain, I am extremely busy.” Captain Cooke announced with a tired half smile, while beckoning over an impossibly young looking Midshipmen who was hovering in the background.

“Yes Sir, I shall begin at once” Dirk replied and saluted. Cooke promptly returned the courtesy, before turning back to the chaos on the beach.

-----------------------------------------

Dirk's story continues here

Edited by Ayrlego

Beautiful photography, and two very nice little scenes, Ayrlego, the hustle and bustle of the second is particularly well done and eye catching! My only piece of advice one the builds, is that the rowboats in the first one tend to look a bit plain as they are - tiling them off can improve them tremendously. Here is an example of one I tiled off, though I'm (tolerably) sure that there are other ways to do it as well! pirate_wink.gif

Excellent story as usual too, and moving your story on with small builds is always more than welcome in BoBS! pirate_satisfied.gif

I'm a big fan of these types of builds, illustrating stories. I especially like the second scene. Good story, good builds. Well done!

Neat pair of vigs, I especially like the beach scene! :thumbup:

As I told you elsewhere, I really like this story - and I too think that smaller builds to advance a story are perfectly acceptable - and with those two 16x16 builds, this is actually larger builds than what we have seen posted before. (This is not meant as a lunge at those smaller builds - merely saying that there is no issue with this)

What I enjoy the most is how you have been loyal to my characters - it is a pleasure to read! pirate_satisfied.gif

I think the boats are swimming a little low in the first moc, and a little more interior detailing in the boats would be nice. I have my self managed to get three benches inside this kind of boat. (Two for rowers, one for helmsman). However, it does well in showing the letters changing hands, thus illustrating your story, which is really the most important. pirate_blush.gif

Your second build does really well to depict a busy scene of supplies being unloaded and people asking questions left and right, and Cooke is surely sleeping well these nights, with all the responsibilities of Governor on top of his task as Master and Commander of the Athena. pirate_laugh2.gif

Both these builds look great, and their size shouldn't be an issue. You've put the effort into neat and clean presentation, and the story is a good read. Keep it up.