Sign in to follow this  
robinnilsson403

[OL Ch2a] Work for nothing

This is my entry for challenge 2A, Protect and defend.

First I want to show the build in two angles, then we go on with the story:

25020276436_9af9f5819c.jpg

24751067050_f430bd2534.jpg

Following the escape from the strange island where Lan Bashere saw strange natives he landed on an island not too far away. The commander of the soldiers on board the ship immediately began with preparations for defence of the area. A task Lan was asked to help plan and design. This scene is a few months later, when the first bulwark is nearing completion.

"Thank Poseidon you are here Lan!" said Daerid Ondin, the commander. "I have something I must discuss with you!

"Oh? What could it be, huh?"

24419773263_887390ca8a.jpg

"I have a problem" Daerid responed quietly. "Grog?"

"Well, as long as you know it yourself. No thank you."

"You see, it's the gunpowder. It is so humid here the gunpowder is acting up strangely."

"Let me guess, it burns different?"

"If it burns at all! I've had the carpenters making spears and crossbows just as reserves, but we have nothing matching the cannons as reserve. A canister shot could break any attack."

"Hum... I'm not able to do so much myself, but I have a friend in Le Bellan who would know a solution to this."

"Who? I'll have a message sent with the next ship!"

"She would not respond. She does things for strange reasons. I must go to her myself."

24419772093_c7a334feb9.jpg

"But what about the defence? You don't mean we should settle for this!"

"I will help you work out the blueprints before I go. But it will be hard work for you."

"Hard work? I've had that my whole life!"

"Well, when I go, the sailors will be needed on the ship. You won't be that many, mostly soldiers. I can give the coordinates so more ships will sail here."

25020271366_cbb55d8195.jpg

"What you can do" Lan continued " is to clear land and gather stones and timber. You will need lots of both."

"And food. My soldiers need food."

"Just make sure that you don't exterminate the animals. If you breed them you'll be able to last longer. Here," Lan said as he drew on the paper "is what I want you to do..."

25046626745_6f7e2b5795.jpg

Thanks for reading, and if you want to see more of my poor pictures, here's the link: https://www.flickr.com/gp/132731494@N02/T92H1f

Critics and comments are most welcome!

I really like the roof with the vegetation on IT, but the rest is neat too

Really nice fortifications. The spikes in the front and the slope look fantastic, and I really like the use of different colors for the ground and the sloped fortification.

The vegetation on the roof seems a little too modern to me, but I'm no expert so it might be historically accurate.

I'll be interested in seeing how they resolve the gunpowder issue.

Nice one! Let's get fortified Oleanders! As cpt Genaro said, i like the spikes in front of the fortifications too. And behind them there is a healthy dose of activity and EQUIPMENT! I LOVE equipment of all sorts!

Very nice fort Robinnilsson, and I'll agree with Blackdeath about your equipment in there! pirate_wink.gifpirate_satisfied.gif Looking forward to where you take this story as well! thumbup.gif As to the photography, most of your close-up shots are really good, but for your overviews I would advise trying to get a better background since the creases and other things are a little distracting. A large piece of white paper or a bendable poster board would probably be your best bet default_classic.gif

I really like the roof with the vegetation on IT, but the rest is neat too

Thanks! I thought of it as camouflage. Just pull down the flag and the enemy won't know you're there.

Really nice fortifications. The spikes in the front and the slope look fantastic, and I really like the use of different colors for the ground and the sloped fortification.

The vegetation on the roof seems a little too modern to me, but I'm no expert so it might be historically accurate.

I'll be interested in seeing how they resolve the gunpowder issue.

I first made the spikes of 1 x 1 round bricks, but they looked so large! Imo the bars are much better. :)

Nice one! Let's get fortified Oleanders! As cpt Genaro said, i like the spikes in front of the fortifications too. And behind them there is a healthy dose of activity and EQUIPMENT! I LOVE equipment of all sorts!

I also love equipment. The hard thing is to find the good stuff and not make it too cramped and unvaried.

Very nice fort Robinnilsson, and I'll agree with Blackdeath about your equipment in there! pirate_wink.gifpirate_satisfied.gif Looking forward to where you take this story as well! thumbup.gif As to the photography, most of your close-up shots are really good, but for your overviews I would advise trying to get a better background since the creases and other things are a little distracting. A large piece of white paper or a bendable poster board would probably be your best bet default_classic.gif

Thanks! As soon as I can go to Ikea I will copy Gideons photo background setup. :)

I think this is a really good creative arrangement, and looks like the type of defenses that would have been built in this type of setting. The minifig selection and posing are pretty good too.

I apparently wasn't paying attention last time I looked at this, because that's an impressive build for the fortifications.

Really strong entry, the fortifications look great! Good minifig posing as well.

A suggestion would be to build the cutoff edges in the same color as the ground, tan in this case.

Great fortress - I love how it is recessed into the ground, and how the battlements have been dug out for the gun. Very nice entry! pirate_blush.gif