Bregir

[COR - Ch1 Cat B] The sheltered cove

24956175285_53a10e4634_c.jpg

Personal Diary, Montoya, 35th day of Montoya-Cooke Expedition

Upon entering the cove, I immediately noticed the indigenous structures erected on poles in the water, and asked Cooke to approach it.

The natives seemed to expect us, as they were standing on parade with what appeared to be full ceremonial gear, including large shiny brass-shields, gold ornaments and metal-headed spears. Obviously, these people have at least basic practical knowledge of metallurgy, which appears to me a rarity outside the socalled "civilised" world. (One might question how civilised we truly are, considering the amount of ressources we spend improving our ability to smash eachother on the head….)

The natives welcomed us most kindly, and as their language seemed to be related to that spoken by the natives of Nelissa, we were able to communicate rather well. The granted us presents of fresh fruits and large brass plates, and the chief told me that many foreign ships had been spotted recently. As we were the first to make landfall, and if we behaved with reason, he was willing to strike an alliance, and help us with supplies and repairs for now and in perpetuity. (He seemd rather well-versed in the challenges of sea-travel. I suspect they are a nautical tribe, who came here by some sort of ship.) In return, we are required to protect and respect his people and customs, and help them to advance.

We sat for long hours in the Chief's hut, discussing the situation, and I found that his tribe was rather sizeable and scattered throughout the island, as well as culturally advanced. After the meeting, he allowed me one of his best men as a guide to the Island, to show me the natural wonders here, and we agreed that I might return later to learn more of his people. I shall be leaving with young Baker and a few hands in a few moments. Oh, what discoveries these lands might hold! My mind is fairly overflowing with delight!

In the meanwhile, Cooke has embarked upon his habitual frantic naval activity, preparing the cove for God knows what and measuring every little nook and cranny of the anchorage. One wonders the crew abides, with all the wonders here to behold. Custom and loyalty seems to have more leverage on people than I would have believed, and Cooke almost seems to swell in physical size, when exercising command. The men do seem to love him.

As he sent off the HMS Otter, I managed to ship a few letters of business, as well as a scientific paper that will certainly make a noise in the Royal Academy!

24838223612_aa65d347f5_c.jpg

Captains personal log, 35th day, New Terra Expd., Second Entry

48o 43'' 15' E, 68o 23'' 36'; In sheltered cove

Entered the cove shortly after noon. Landed at native village. Montoya established contact with natives, who seemed to be friendly and willing to trade.

Carried out initial sounding and mapping of cove, which proved to be a fine natural harbour. Dispatched HMS Otter to seek Corlander Royal Navy Expeditionary Force: Suggested setting up base of operations, with proper defenses. (See "Hydrographical Remarks" and "Tactical Remarks" below")

Moored HMS Athena in the sheltered cove, broadside to entrance, and established look-outs on shore. Resupplied greenstuff, water and meats through trade with the natives.

Montoya and Baker, with a few hands, landed to explore island and establish further contact with natives.

Hydrographical remarks:

The cove is a fine natural harbour, protected by the elements by two rocky peninsulae of 10-20 m in height. The entrance measures approximately 20 m across, with a fine channel suitable for all vessels. The cove is appr. circular: measures 250 m at the widest point.

Depth of the harbour is consistent at about 20 m (See soundings on attached chart) as little as 30 m from shore. The bottom is soft sand, perfect for anchorage. Northern beach is well suited for careening.

Tactical remarks:

A single battery could entirely command the harbour from the seaside, while the nature of the landscape and the heavy jungle will effectively make a landbased assault impossible. Further, the jungle offers plenty of wood for spars, masts, planking, firewood, etc. and the natives supply a fine, strong, white rope, which, by the look of their own designs, require no tarring to last.

It will prove to be a fine base of operations, refitting, and resupplying, and I have thus suggested sending in a platoon of Royal Navy Engineers to fortify the cove.

Montoya ensures me that, treated fairly, the natives will support our presence. They have agreed to an alliance.

________________________________________________________________________________

Hereby my entry to challenge 1b. It isn't exactly my best build to date, but I am farily happy with it. The pictures didn't turn out perfect either, but being away from my bricks, I can't redo them.

It was fun writing the story from two different perspectives (and different narrative styles), and I hope it makes sense! :pir_laugh2:

C&C is welcome, as always.

Very nice challenge entry Bregir, the waves look really good! The shields work well too! :thumbup:

Very good entry. I really like the composition of this one. The elevated hut is really good - the arches and roof in particular - and the rocks forming the edge of the cove are nice. All the different minifigs make for a busy setting and the boat approaching through those lovely waves looks great.

The shields and other metal objects are a good idea; I've been wondering if someone would include that type of thing in the challenge. The color of brass or bronze is probably best from a historic view, as ferrous metallurgy (iron smelting) was more difficult to accomplish.

I like the two written points-of-view - it provides a more interesting story than one, provided they're sufficiently different (and they are). The overall story is very good.

Good work. :classic:

Excellent build!

(I am usually writing less then fellow-Captain Dee)

Do I sound excessive? :grin:

Somebody's gotta do it now that KB is gone... :wink:

Looks like quite a few Corringlanders are suffering from an identity crisis, seeing as they're wearing Oleon bluepir_laugh2.gif.

The story is absolutely fantastic; it feels authentic to the time period, and it is a great compliment to the build. Nice use of parts for the beach and cliff, and the water/wave effect looks good.

I am curious as to why there are nets lining the cliff.

It's just a really nice build. Great atmosphere, and the waves stand out for me as well. A nice entry for sure.

Great entry! The waves are especially well done, as is the wooden house – I especially like the arches over the opennings.

Looks like quite a few Corringlanders are suffering from an identity crisis, seeing as they're wearing Oleon bluepir_laugh2.gif.

The story is absolutely fantastic; it feels authentic to the time period, and it is a great compliment to the build. Nice use of parts for the beach and cliff, and the water/wave effect looks good.

The blue coats did make me double take at first - Wait a minute, I thought Bregir was a fellow Corlander!!!! I guess the British Navy and Artillery both wore blue uniforms and some French cavalry units wore red – just to confuse matters! I'm thinking Corrington and Oleon may have something similar going on??

I’m guessing the nets are fishing nets that are drying in the sun?

Edited by Ayrlego

I've not yet joined BOBS, but I must say: reading your entries is like reading a Patrick O'Brian novel. Keep up the marvelous work.

Well, since this was bumped anyway, I am going to take the chance to reply, something I have apparently entirely neglected! :pir-cry_sad:

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 1:38 PM, Kai NRG said:

Very nice challenge entry Bregir, the waves look really good! The shields work well too! :thumbup:

Thank you - was quite happy with these waves, although the places where the baseplate is bare seems to stand out by my current standards...

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 1:40 PM, Mike S said:

Great entry! I really like your coastal slope and the beach and water look great too!

Thanks, Mike - I remember putting quite a lot of work into these waves. And the coastal slope, for that matter, which I think turned out well for my third or fourth BoBS build :blush:

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 1:40 PM, Tomsche said:

Very lovely entry, love the `stream` in the water

Thanks, man!

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 1:49 PM, bricklover said:

Very nice moc! I love the waves!

Thank you - as I said, I did put a lot of work into them. :wink:

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, Captain Dee said:

Very good entry. I really like the composition of this one. The elevated hut is really good - the arches and roof in particular - and the rocks forming the edge of the cove are nice. All the different minifigs make for a busy setting and the boat approaching through those lovely waves looks great.

The shields and other metal objects are a good idea; I've been wondering if someone would include that type of thing in the challenge. The color of brass or bronze is probably best from a historic view, as ferrous metallurgy (iron smelting) was more difficult to accomplish.

I like the two written points-of-view - it provides a more interesting story than one, provided they're sufficiently different (and they are). The overall story is very good.

Good work. :classic:

Well, not all natives are necessarily savages. (Apart from the natives of Eslandola, that is... :wink:)

Glad you liked the two different points of view - reading it again makes me want to take that up once more.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:27 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Excellent build!

(I am usually writing less then fellow-captain Dee)

Thanks anyway! :pir-tongue:

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:12 PM, Captain Genaro said:

Thanks Captain! Well, the Athena is a private vessel, not a navy vessel, so dressing in the official uniforms would have been pretty pretentious, wouldn't you think? :pir-blush:

And as Ayrlego suggested later, they are indeed fishing nets hanging out to dry.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:03 AM, Elostirion said:

It's just a really nice build. Great atmosphere, and the waves stand out for me as well. A nice entry for sure.

Thank you, Elostirion. Looking at it now it seems a bit naive, but still sets the scene pretty well.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:58 PM, Ayrlego said:

Great entry! The waves are especially well done, as is the wooden house – I especially like the arches over the opennings.

The blue coats did make me double take at first - Wait a minute, I thought Bregir was a fellow Corlander!!!! I guess the British Navy and Artillery both wore blue uniforms and some French cavalry units wore red – just to confuse matters! I'm thinking Corrington and Oleon may have something similar going on??

I’m guessing the nets are fishing nets that are drying in the sun?

Thanks, Ayrlego! And yep, you are right about the nets - and see my comment to Captain Genaro for the uniforms.

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 8:11 PM, TitusV said:

Great build, as always! I really like that hut!

Thanks, Titus, glad you liked it!

2 hours ago, Norseman said:

I've not yet joined BOBS, but I must say: reading your entries is like reading a Patrick O'Brian novel. Keep up the marvelous work.

Well, what are you waiting for? :pir-grin: I am certain all the factions will be very welcoming towards new blood! (But of course, I am duty-bound to tell you that the smartest, most handsome, and coolest people are in Corrington.... :wink: )

I am happy you like the story-telling. (And O'Brian is certainly, as is probably painfully obvious, my main inspiration! ) Reading this, I feel like I might have neglected my stories lately, at least in some of my builds, and I will try to put some more work into that going forward.

Lastly, just a tip from an old hand here. Normally, it is frowned upon to revive old subjects unless you have something EXTREMELY important to say, but as you are new here, I am certain the admins will let you go with a warning this time. :wink:

2 hours ago, Norseman said:

I think the Patrick O'Brian novels serve as an inspiration to many of us in BoBS.

You say you have not joined yet. I hope that means we can hope to see you in the game soon. There's plenty of room for more!