Sign in to follow this  
Captain Genaro

[OL - FB1] Orders

I meant to post this last month, but got caught up with work. I am particularly interested in criticism on the furniture, as that is something that I have never built a lot of in the past.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Captain Anthony Genaro" announced the steward. With his hat under his left arm, Captain Genaro paused and bowed towards the idol of Poseidon on the mantle before immediately turning towards the commandant's desk and the unknown gentleman, a scowl on his face, sitting behind it. "I'm afraid, sir, that I have not yet made your acquaintance," said Genaro, standing resolute. "Humph, and a small wonder, too. Shaggy, unshaven, and a wig that doesn't even properly cover the whole head" observed the stranger just loud enough for Genaro to hear. "I am Monsignor Befort de Granoleon, assistant to His Majesty's representative. Yes, I know you are meeting with Commandant Millet, but he is indisposed of, and as his assistant, I am taking all his appointments for the time being."

24798458875_50b0fc7d8d_z.jpgThe Admiralty

Without offering a seat to Genaro, Befort rummaged through the papers that littered the desk, came up with a folded letter, and handed it to Genaro. Taking a sip of wine (which Befort had also declined to offer to Genaro), Genaro began to read the letter and was astonished by what he saw. "Surly there has been a mistake!" exclaimed Genaro. "It appears that I have been the Little Hermes, a mere merchantman." Looking up from his paperwork, Befort paused and stared at Genaro. "You are an officer in the King's fleet and a servant to the crown, and you shall do as he and his representatives command." "This command may be fitting of a lieutenant, but I am a proper post-captain and am entitled to," Genaro began to object. "You are entitled to nothing, Captain" interrupted Befort, "you may either take this command or you may deny it. It makes no difference to me, but do hasten with your decision as you are not the only appointment I have today."

24430967089_6c68eb2ee7_z.jpgThe Admiralty

Minutes later, a furious Captain Genaro exited the Admiralty building, orders for the Little Hermes in hand. It may have been a blackguardly offer, but Genaro's heart longed for the sea (and the full pay that came with it), and you couldn't turn down a command without being blacklisted for years to come.

Hehehe! Excellent depiction of the realities of a naval officer's life ! Little Hermes was surely not cut out for you pirate_satisfied.gif And at least you didn't sink it just like some other "Sea Rats" did!!!! pirate_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gifpirate_laugh2.gif I wish us all greater ships and even greater profits and glory! Furniture is really good, especially the one with the bottles on top. What i dont like, furniture-wise are those black chairs which i find too modern imo.

That is a Nice build, and I really like that furniture! I've never build much of that, but enough to know how difficult it is! Here, things turned out pretty awesome!

This is a beautiful interior :pir-wub:, and honestly my only criticism is that the floor and top of the wall would both look a lot better tiled. Otherwise you have a really nice arrangement. The colors are good and the rug is a nice feature. The furnishings look great - the fireplace, desks, the big cabinet - and the ship model and globe are both typical. I like the decorated columns and the big flag hanging by the window. The black chairs do look more modern but I don't really have a problem with them. Good work.

Definitely not enough comments yet for such a nicely executed MOC.

The drawer with the two bottles and the golden goblet stands out as the highlight for me, great one. Befort's desk is lovely done as well. The chair design is really clever, I've always struggled, those are really good.

I'd suggest to differentiate the carpet in front of the fireplace from the rest of the floor (one with studs showing, the other without), but that's about it for suggestion. The rest is great!

Hehehe! Excellent depiction of the realities of a naval officer's life ! Little Hermes was surely not cut out for you :pir-sweet: And at least you didn't sink it just like some other "Sea Rats" did!!!! :pir-grin: :pir-grin: :pir-grin: I wish us all greater ships and even greater profits and glory! Furniture is really good, especially the one with the bottles on top. What i dont like, furniture-wise are those black chairs which i find too modern imo.

Oh, nothing against the Little Hermes; just some obnoxious officer who seems to have forgotten his place :pir-grin:. Besides, I'm sure he has a different opinion of the Hermes now seeing how poorly some other ships performed.

That is a Nice build, and I really like that furniture! I've never build much of that, but enough to know how difficult it is! Here, things turned out pretty awesome!

Thank you. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who finds furniture difficult to build.

This is a beautiful interior pirate_wubnew.gif, and honestly my only criticism is that the floor and top of the wall would both look a lot better tiled. Otherwise you have a really nice arrangement. The colors are good and the rug is a nice feature. The furnishings look great - the fireplace, desks, the big cabinet - and the ship model and globe are both typical. I like the decorated columns and the big flag hanging by the window. The black chairs do look more modern but I don't really have a problem with them. Good work.

Very kind words indeed. The tiles are a bit of an oversight, and one that I'll have to remember for future MOCs (it's easy to overlook presentation when you're focused on the building).

Definitely not enough comments yet for such a nicely executed MOC.

The drawer with the two bottles and the golden goblet stands out as the highlight for me, great one. Befort's desk is lovely done as well. The chair design is really clever, I've always struggled, those are really good.

I'd suggest to differentiate the carpet in front of the fireplace from the rest of the floor (one with studs showing, the other without), but that's about it for suggestion. The rest is great!

I'm glad you like it. I agree that a tiled floor would look better (this gives me an excuse to place another BL order!), and I'm glad you're a fan of the chairs.

I really like your story, and it is accompanied by these really nice builds. As you asked for furniture feedback, I will say this - its awesome! I particularly like the big cabinet and the model of a brig(?) on the shelf! More tiles would help, but I think this was pulled off nicely without them too. I agree the chairs look a tad modern, but I like the innovative design nonetheless! pirate_blush.gif

The best part is the realism of the story, really - How you depict the troubles of getting a command! May one ask from whence you draw your inspiration?

I really like your story, and it is accompanied by these really nice builds. As you asked for furniture feedback, I will say this - its awesome! I particularly like the big cabinet and the model of a brig(?) on the shelf! More tiles would help, but I think this was pulled off nicely without them too. I agree the chairs look a tad modern, but I like the innovative design nonetheless! :pir-blush: The best part is the realism of the story, really - How you depict the troubles of getting a command! May one ask from whence you draw your inspiration?

Very kind words, thank you. And yes, it is supposed to be a brig.

Most of my inspiration comes from Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series. An excellent series, but you might need to brush up on your nautical terminologypirate_wink.gif. Other historical nonfiction about the late 18th century (mostly about the American navy) also inspire me.

Cool decorations!

Thank you.

I had a suspicion that it was O'Brian's work somewhere behind this - I have just started reading them for the third or fourth time pirate_laugh2.gif

And yes, you really need to keep your mind straight to keep up with the terminologies - but I suppose it's the same with BoBS in general! pirate_wink.gif

Very nice interior indeed!

The drinks cabinet and desk look very nice. The miniature ship is a great addition as well