Mike S

[COR - FB1] "Black Marlin"

The log of Captain Aiden Coyle. January 17:

I purchased the "Black Marlin" in Arlinsport. I will be sailing her to Belson to see how she sails. I retained the services of her former captain who is quite an interesting fellow and has a million tales to tell. This should not be a dull journey. END OF ENTRY

23822374644_1a6e26e3a3_c.jpg

More photos:

24442716722_e1e44b7ffc_c.jpg

24255485380_24b2fae67e_c.jpg

23924226483_85be28efa3_c.jpg

And the Black Marlin next to the Sulky Harlequin

24468713481_bc5e3a0391_c.jpg

Edited by Mike S

Very beautifull ship!!!

I guess you licenced it as Class 2 F? (it looks like a cutter :) )

Great little ship, Mike.

I like the sails, and that little deckhouse and the hatches are great details. It really look like a fine little trader! pirate_blush.gif

It looks a little strange, that all her lines (more or less) are completely horisontal. I would suggest trying out a little more curvature on your next ship.

The hull looks great, and appears to be completely brickbuilt? I would love to see some more pictures of how it was done.

The same goes for the minifigs - would be nice to see how that interesting captain looks! pirate_classic.gif

Very beautifull ship!!!

Actually, she is ketch-rigged. Square sails on the mainmast (forward mast) and a smaller mizzen mast fore-and-aft rigged. I would estimate it as a 2 F or 2 T. pirate_blush.gif

Beautiful vessel! May she keep ye safe from the Sea Serpents!

Sleeek, elegant, beautiful!

Thanks!

Very beautifull ship!!!

Thanks and yes I did license it as a Class 2F.

Great little ship, Mike.

I like the sails, and that little deckhouse and the hatches are great details. It really look like a fine little trader! pirate_blush.gif

It looks a little strange, that all her lines (more or less) are completely horisontal. I would suggest trying out a little more curvature on your next ship.

The hull looks great, and appears to be completely brickbuilt? I would love to see some more pictures of how it was done.

The same goes for the minifigs - would be nice to see how that interesting captain looks! pirate_classic.gif

Yes the horizontal lines do bother me a bit but mostly on the hull. The hull is mostly snotted 3x4 and 3x3 slopes. When this ship gets destroyed, I will improve its design for the replacement ship...pirate_laugh2.gif And I will be posting a sheet of all my recurring characters so you will get a better look at this captain then...pirate_wink.gif

Very nice vessel - a passing glance at the bow is enough to tell it's too low for a prefab hull, and the overall shape is pretty good. I like the detailing of the deck and the sail plan looks good. My biggest complaint is the lack of any more photos, especially some close-up detailed shots, and perhaps the lighting could be better for the main pic. But she looks good regardless. Keep it up.

Yay, another fine ship! It's design is nothing i have seen before and this makes it unique! This one seems super-fast with all that sails...!

I like your ship, but I would love to see more details of your build. Unfortunatelly the pic is so dark that I can t see, what I am most interested to see.

Beautifull ship Mike, well designed hull.

I'd put the forward sail with the (now forward) point upwards. I think that looks better.

I'm looking forward to plunder it :D :D

Actually, she is ketch-rigged. Square sails on the mainmast (forward mast) and a smaller mizzen mast fore-and-aft rigged. I would estimate it as a 2 F or 2 T. pirate_blush.gif

My first idea was Brigantine, but no squares on the aft. I'd say its a Schooner Brig (aka Hermaphrodite Brig)

With an Ketch I'd expect a fore-aft sail on the forward (main) mast too.

....*snip*....

My first idea was Brigantine, but no squares on the aft. I'd say its a Schooner Brig (aka Hermaphrodite Brig)

With an Ketch I'd expect a fore-aft sail on the forward (main) mast too.

Well, the turning point for me is really that the forward mast is her main mast. On schooner and brig variations, the main mast is the aftmost mast. And historically, ketches wore squaresails on their main.

I agree about the jib pointing the wrong way, though. pirate_blush.gif

Edited by Bregir

Well, the turning point for me is really that the forward mast is her main mast. On schooner and brig variations, the main mast is the aftmost mast. And historically, ketches wore squaresails on their main.

True on the mast heights.

Do you have any examples of ketches with squares?

The ones I find are bomb-ketches, (which are more three masted ships with the foremast removed kind of designs)

I like your ship, but I would love to see more details of your build. Unfortunatelly the pic is so dark that I can t see, what I am most interested to see.

Yeah proper light is a real problem for me right now.

I'd put the forward sail with the (now forward) point upwards. I think that looks better.

I agree about the jib pointing the wrong way, though. pirate_blush.gif

I'll try switching it around and then take better pics...

Nice little ship! Compliments on the custom hull, it looks very fast. The sails are expertly shaped and cut, I'm guessing construction paper of some kind?

I've been considering attempting a custom hull, I doubt my first attempt will look this nice! And I think we can expect more pictures as the story develops? That would be awesome!

24369947911_0c08325477_t.jpg Her curves and her lines...so gorgeous. And her nice big juicy sails. If the Black Marlin were a woman, I'd be in there like swimwear.

24426191796_299bf13634_t.jpg BIOLOGY!!!

thumbup.gif

Nice little ship! Compliments on the custom hull, it looks very fast. The sails are expertly shaped and cut, I'm guessing construction paper of some kind?

I've been considering attempting a custom hull, I doubt my first attempt will look this nice! And I think we can expect more pictures as the story develops? That would be awesome!

I'll take a pic of how the hull is constructed next time I take more pics. I made a minor change that I think is the only improvement that I can make with this kind of a hull build with a flat deck. I also want to take a pic of this with my next ship to show size comparison. And... I might even build another ship based on this hull but a bit larger. This one was going to be bigger but I thought I didn't have enough pieces but I think I found another bin of slopes so I might be in luck.

24369947911_0c08325477_t.jpg Her curves and her lines...so gorgeous. And her nice big juicy sails. If the Black Marlin were a woman, I'd be in there like swimwear.

24426191796_299bf13634_t.jpg BIOLOGY!!!

thumbup.gif

:pir-laugh: :pir-laugh: :roflmao:

It looks nice from the front, but I have a feeling the back is a bit square. It could also use a little bit of colour variation IMO.

I'd like to see some more (lighter) pictures.

It looks nice from the front, but I have a feeling the back is a bit square.

The back is actually curved more than the front...

I am impressed with the sleekness of the vessel. You definitely made a fast ship ready to do your bidding.

Are those paper sails or cloth?

I am impressed with the sleekness of the vessel. You definitely made a fast ship ready to do your bidding.

Are those paper sails or cloth?

They are paper sails... only material I had on hand. If I ever get more time, I would like to make some sails using the same material that Lego uses.