blackdeathgr

Challenge Ib - "The oleander way"

"Land Ho!" or "No Oleander is a true Oleander if he travels without guns. Big guns. Oh, and a priest. AT LEAST one priest."

... It is a chilly morning at the year 615 AE of our holy gods. Our mighty armada sent by our gracious king Stephan the II, had just avoided a huge hurricane that traveled south. Pinnacles showing the state of the ships are flown on each of our vessels. We were fortunate and we attribute that to our gods, especially Poseidon, the ruler of the high seas. Chanting from our flagship the "Glory of Oleon", echoes at the distance, sending our gratitude to Him. It is in that specific ship, the biggest and best amongst all that our accompanying priest dwells.

Suddenly the cabin boy banged at my door.

- Sir! You are requested at the crow's nest immediately!

Rushing and climbing at the ropes, i soon reached the highest part of the ship, the crow's nest. A fine mariner, stood there vigilant but excited as a small boy.

- Land sir! Land! Land that no one has set foot before! It is ours!

My ship, "Talon", after barely avoiding the hurricane was pushed ahead of the rest of our mighty armada by the winds. That's why we spotted that new land first. It was luck I thought. Or fate? I did pray last night for our salvation. Only gods knew. No matter what, I hastily signaled our flagship...

The rowboats were starting to descend from some of the ships. I was full of pride! Since my ship fist saw this new land, the admiral has made me the honor of leading the detachment destined to set foot first on this New World. And of course I couldn't be alone on that. Oleanders don't do things quietly. This detachment had it all. Flags, ribbons, soldiers, sailors, our reverent priest and even a canon. THIS is the Oleon way. The only way. For the glory of OLEON!...

23902535129_03d8c73405_c.jpg

Ceremony to Poseidon for our rescue last night

23902552619_61d2a787cd_c.jpg

Cannon hauling

23974750810_c70ee44d15_c.jpg

Food and ammunition - we are here to stay

23974810880_5c36dc7424_c.jpg

Bird's eye view

23974802250_37fd2fe9cb_c.jpg

Thanks for watching

Edited by blackdeathgr

Nice landfall, BD! Already now, you have improved on the texturing of the beach (compared to the shipwreck build.) and I like all the different subscenes you have included! My favourites are the cannon being dragged ashore and the ceremony. pirate_blush.gif (However, where did that cannon come from? The other boats are still full! pirate_tong.gif )

A few suggestions. The middle boat could have been placed a little further out in the water - right now it looks strange that it is on line with the other two, but he is still rowing. I think you are indicating that he just slided up the beach, and alone it may have worked better, but on a line with the other boats, it just looks like he is a little dumb... pir_laugh2.gif

You vegetation gets a little busy, and I suppose you did that to mask the background - but I would suggest finding a different place or setup for photos, as that glass table gets very busy as background.

Overall, very lively entry with loads of nice details - but you are really fighting for the wrong side! pirate_laugh_new.gif

That looks like a full invasion :).

I like the sailed jumping off the boat.

Great to see the Oleander might on these new shores!

I agree that some kind of backdrop would have improved the presentation.

Nise scene and invasion! maybe more plant and native will make the backround better, good job!

Edited by Mpyromaxos

Hello fellow BoBS-fanatics and thank you all for your constructive criticism!

I am seriously trying to improve here and you help me by commenting (also these newly arrived tan plates helped too). Rowboats were not supposed to be alligned and be parralel but i guess they moved while moving the moc and i definitely forgot to change poses :) As for the cannon, consider it a Poseidon gift! After all we did pray and chant soooo much to him :P hehehe

As most of you say, my new goal in the near future will be to make a photo-box. Will it be enough if i use a carton box and white A4 paper sheets? Is there any particular thread i can find ideas and instructions?

Finally, regarding vegetation, i have A LONG road to travel. I have many ideas in mind. Some will work, some others not and in that i would like your help with your comments. But the usual problem for me at this stage is the (dire) lack of greenery :)

For the glory of Oleon! Never fall back, never surrender! (moto of d'Offren family)

Edited by blackdeathgr

well, well, treating the locals this way I wonder who will be more successful in colonizing the new world, by eh, what's to expect from those Barbarian Oleanders ... pirate_wink.gif

nice moc, btw ...

Nice landing scene. There's a lot going on here and you've included a good variety of minifigs. I like the fact that you've included multiple boats and supplies; perhaps we can assume that whatever they used to haul in the cannon has already left. I think a good overview shot would help a lot - as shown the canopy of two of the big trees isn't visible, which is a shame. I like those clumps of bananas but the plants in the background could look a little better. The ceremony is interesting, but I suppose that's just part of life in Oleon. Keep it up.

Seems you could have used either the base plate or the table top for a better effect. It's a great scene, that bit is just distracting IMHO.