Hello everyone

Having been a forum lurker here for many years, this competition finally gave me the push to get an account and share my creations. :blush:

When the competition got announced my mind directly went to the pair of cranes from my parents hometown.

The hunt for info and photos started. Living 500 km away meant visiting was a no go. :cry_sad:

Having no job at the moment meant building could be done daily, and that was needed. Just finished building today (yesterday, after midnight now :tongue:) panic to the last hour with delivery of critical parts was delayed until this morning. :angry:

After photographing and filming this evening, I am proud to present my entry for TC8:

A level-luffing harbour four rope crane with trimming grab in scale 1:25

dsc_0158.jpg

The real crane stands at 32m at the highest point, this one is 1.2m

dsc_0137.jpg

The trimming grab works just like the real one. Two ropes for lifting and two for closing the grab.

dsc_0143.jpg

The rope drums are driven just like the real one, with a redesign to compensate for lack of proper planetary gears. :sceptic:

One L-motor drives both drums while another L-motor only drives the front one (for closing the grab.)

dsc_0146.jpg

This part gave me the most headache, how to make it turn without cheating with driving the turntable. I knew the large treads made a good ring when inside out. I found out that 76 of the small treads fit perfectly inside a ring of 44 large treads.

dsc_0160.jpg

First try on wheel carrier design luckily gave the right angle needed, trickier though to mount at right position. Old 14-tooth bevel gears were almost a perfect fit against the small treads.

dsc_0163.jpg

M-motor used to drive the turning

dsc_0168.jpg

With third party weights not allowed, improvisation needed. Counter weight on the roof filled with 4L and 5L axles. 220g in just the axles :classic:

dsc_0173.jpg

And finally the video

Hope you like it.

David

wow, this crane is huge, its very impressive how well it works with only one LA to move the boom, all the functions are very great, and i like the "counter weight" solution, it is full of details, i really like it, nice work; and welcome to Eurobricks.

Edited by ImanolBB

That's very cool. I like the turntable support, and the counterweight. Very ingenious.

Great and impressive!

I like that you have chosen a different type of the crane... I like how fast it is, the whole mechanism work without attemnts for failure... Nice details... Great work!

Max...

Great entry! I like the whole "steel" structure and the movement mechanism of the arm. Very original creation :)

I usually don't like huge models but this one is just awesome. Reminds me of Mecano models.

Hello and welcome to EB :classic: What an entrance to the site :thumbup: It's so cool lookin' and instantly recognizable, I really like frame, turntable and especially counterweight :thumbup: So clever idea to use axles in counterweight, I like it a lot :sweet: This one goes in my shortlist for voting, well done!

excuse me let me pick my jaw up from the floor *Picks up jaw* This thing is amazing! The custom counterweight and turntable ideas are very cool from being only made of Lego pieces. Good job!

Wow - that is an epic and beautiful model!

Also the most unusual use of axles I have ever seen! :grin:

Edited by aeh5040

Wow! Thank you all for your kind welcome and comments :laugh:

To get such positive response from some of the people that awes and inspires me. :blush:

Hope I can inspire in return.

Some of the solutions used is result of an over-active mind which can't shut down at night. Lost many hours of sleep before my mind went quiet. :tongue:

Just for reference here is a photo of the real cranes.

The green was built in the early 50's and the blue in the early 60's

355089.JPG

Now that's a beast! Real oldtimer if I may say so :) You solved the problem with the turning table very good, the usage of links and old gears. The bucket is also very nicely made. You have my points :wink:

Impressive model with very interesting mechanisms! I like your clamp hook system and it's a pity the 42042 set hasn't something like this.

Thank you everyone!

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with non-LEGO stuff :sceptic:

I'm not sure if you got the size of it, but here is a photo with the 42042 for comparison :classic:

dsc_0181.jpg

Not sure why brickshelf doesn't show it the right way up.

Anyway, as the plan is to disassemble it sometime in January, I wondered if anyone is interested in more details before then?

I lack the patience to do anything resembling an instruction, but I will try to answer questions and take more photos if wanted.

Happy building,

David

Not sure why brickshelf doesn't show it the right way up.

Brick shelf doesn't recognize the rotation EXIF command from your camera. Just edit the file in any way (like resize it) and then re-save it and it will show up correctly.

@MaxSupercars: Yes, it's huge. Seeing it compared to something one could consider big make a difference :tongue:

@Blakbird: Hmm... I did resize them before uploading, might have to try another photo editor. Do I have to make any changes here or is a reload to Brickshelf enough?

Edit: Just opened and saved them in Paint and then reloaded to Brickshelf, and there we go, right way up. :classic:

Edited by DavSod

This is one beautiful beast, what a great build.

Love the details on it.

Really looks like the real thing.

On 10/31/2015 at 1:49 AM, DavSod said:

Hello everyone

Having been a forum lurker here for many years, this competition finally gave me the push to get an account and share my creations. :blush:

When the competition got announced my mind directly went to the pair of cranes from my parents hometown.

The hunt for info and photos started. Living 500 km away meant visiting was a no go. :cry_sad:

Having no job at the moment meant building could be done daily, and that was needed. Just finished building today (yesterday, after midnight now :tongue:) panic to the last hour with delivery of critical parts was delayed until this morning. :angry:

After photographing and filming this evening, I am proud to present my entry for TC8:

A level-luffing harbour four rope crane with trimming grab in scale 1:25

dsc_0158.jpg

The real crane stands at 32m at the highest point, this one is 1.2m

dsc_0137.jpg

The trimming grab works just like the real one. Two ropes for lifting and two for closing the grab.

dsc_0143.jpg

The rope drums are driven just like the real one, with a redesign to compensate for lack of proper planetary gears. :sceptic:

One L-motor drives both drums while another L-motor only drives the front one (for closing the grab.)

dsc_0146.jpg

This part gave me the most headache, how to make it turn without cheating with driving the turntable. I knew the large treads made a good ring when inside out. I found out that 76 of the small treads fit perfectly inside a ring of 44 large treads.

dsc_0160.jpg

First try on wheel carrier design luckily gave the right angle needed, trickier though to mount at right position. Old 14-tooth bevel gears were almost a perfect fit against the small treads.

dsc_0163.jpg

M-motor used to drive the turning

dsc_0168.jpg

With third party weights not allowed, improvisation needed. Counter weight on the roof filled with 4L and 5L axles. 220g in just the axles :classic:

dsc_0173.jpg

And finally the video

Hope you like it.

David

Hello

i have interesting in your grap

can you send me more pictures or when you have instructions can I buy this