Brick Miner

My LEGOREDO Expansion Project continues...

EBers... after finishing my last MOC, LEGOREDO STATION #6785, i realized that i had grown quite a bit as a LEGO builder over the nearly two years i've been MOCing as an adult. it seems to me, that it's time to redesign some of my classics, and reinterpret them applying a greater understanding of my own personal style. it has been a year and 4 months since i made my MOCing debut on EB, and here is my reinterpretation of that MOC...

GUNSLINGERS SALOON #6758

6758_gunslingers_saloon01_box01.jpg

Beware: Gunslingers, Outlaws, and Vagrants Inside

Edited by Brick Miner

Really, really, REALLY excellent! *y* I love how you incorporate playable features, just like the official stuff! *wub* Superb editing job, too! I love the background; a classic! *wub*

You should give your ideas to lego.
i would prefer to "sell," but i guess i would get a thrill either way ;-)

but seriously, thanks for the feedback guys !!!

- BM

I also like your custom female figure! *wub* Do you use any special paper, or just regular printer paper?

Yes Yes Yes!!!! *wub* *wub* *wub* *wub*

BrickMiner's back! Hooray! I just love your MOCs BM. I will not compare this to your original, although I'd like to, you didn't provide a link to it and I must assume that was on purpose, so I will only make comparison, or post a link to it with your permission.

But as a set itself, I love it! *wub* It's so beautiful! I would jump up and down if I found it on a store shelf and I mean that literally. I would jump up and down!

The only things I would consider changing are

-the woman's face-she looks like a drag queen, just because those silly hair tendrils look more like sideburns

-it would be interesting to see the same railing used for the second story balcony instead of the yellow-which always look too much like chain link to me...just my opinion.

-I would like to see a different technique used for the support posts on the first floor holding up the second story balcony-right now I feel it is too reminiscent of the General Store in 6765

-I wish the shudders could open all the way. I want to see the arch...maybe remove one window to make more space, assymetrical is the new symmetrical I hear :-P

Other than those minor things, I love so much about this set.

-I love that the lady is armed with a hidden spear on the bottom of her umbrella (am I interpreting that correctly or that just my sick mini-fig mutilation mind at work?)

-I love your custom decals! They are so creative and well done. Especially "Performing Tonight" that is a work of art in and of itself!

-your use of the small 1 x 1 x 4 yellow fences is really smart!

-your old sig fig! *wub*

-interior details are great! What an ingenious way to make perfume bottles! *wub*

-it mixes in great with the official sets

-wine barrel *y*

-The whole thing is just presented and put together so well, it's hard not to like it *sweet* *y*

Overall, you have such a fun creative building style and there's something so professional about it. There's a little world created that's a little naughty, a little dangerous but always & simply-a work of art. :'-) see? brings tears to my eyes...

Seriously, I love it! *wub* Can't wait to see more from you!

I also like your custom female figure! *wub* Do you use any special paper, or just regular printer paper?
my saloon girl is my personal favorite custom fig, so thanks *sweet* right now, i haven't invested into water slide decals yet. im just using avery label paper for my opaque decals, and printing on transparency sheets (like for an over-head projector) for my windows and doors.

----------------------------------------------------

BrickMiner's back! Hooray! I just love your MOCs BM.
well, thanks hinckley *sweet* that was nice.
I will not compare this to your original, although I'd like to, you didn't provide a link to it and I must assume that was on purpose, so I will only make comparison, or post a link to it with your permission.
good call. i really wanted this MOC to be looked at as stand alone MOC. but you can make comparisons if you want... i would actually like that, let me know if i've improved or what, etc...
But as a set itself, I love it! *wub* It's so beautiful! I would jump up and down if I found it on a store shelf and I mean that literally. I would jump up and down!
ya, me too :-D ;-)
The only things I would consider changing are

-the woman's face-she looks like a drag queen, just because those silly hair tendrils look more like sideburns

-it would be interesting to see the same railing used for the second story balcony instead of the yellow-which always look too much like chain link to me...just my opinion.

-I would like to see a different technique used for the support posts on the first floor holding up the second story balcony-right now I feel it is too reminiscent of the General Store in 6765

-I wish the shudders could open all the way. I want to see the arch...maybe remove one window to make more space, assymetrical is the new symmetrical I hear :-P

Other than those minor things, I love so much about this set.

:-D you know, i've heard that before about the alexis sanister face... but i just love it. as i said, lilliana lovelure (as im calling her now) is my personal favorite custom... maybe im strange *wacko*

though, i agree with the shudders not having an appropriate place to go when opened. i didn't like that much either, i tried removing them altogether (i had the exact same problem in the train station, and just ended up removing them) but the light gray really brought the color scheme of the set into unity. in the end, i didn't think it was that bad, so i left them in.

-I love that the lady is armed with a hidden spear on the bottom of her umbrella (am I interpreting that correctly or that just my sick mini-fig mutilation mind at work?)

-I love your custom decals! They are so creative and well done. Especially "Performing Tonight" that is a work of art in and of itself!

-your use of the small 1 x 1 x 4 yellow fences is really smart!

-your old sig fig! *wub*

-interior details are great! What an ingenious way to make perfume bottles! *wub*

-it mixes in great with the official sets

-wine barrel *y*

-The whole thing is just presented and put together so well, it's hard not to like it *sweet* *y*

yes, i think the dagger tipped parasol was quite a unique feature... i personally love it, so thanks for the compliment there, h.
Overall, you have such a fun creative building style and there's something so professional about it. There's a little world created that's a little naughty, a little dangerous but always & simply-a work of art. :'-) see? brings tears to my eyes...
yes, the "little world" is something i try for in every MOC/set i work on... it's actually quite important to me. so thanks for recognizing that.
Seriously, I love it! *wub* Can't wait to see more from you!
cool, i can't wait to bring you my next MOC... redoing the saloon was a necessity in perfecting LEGOREDO, but all-in-all it wasn't as fun as doing something brand new... so im going to stay away from redos for a while and tackle some untouched western themes next ;-) maybe even move out of LEGOREDO and into the wilderness of the deserts !!!

--------------------------------------------------

oh, and for everyone who isn't familiar with the chair/table mechanism of GUNSLINGERS SALOON... there is a magnet under the table and a magnet under each chair. so, when the table is turned to face one of the chairs, the magnets repel, and push that chair out of place, knocking over the minifig... it's actually quite fun, and also a fun build.

thanks everyone !!! - BM

As all your MOCs, this looks good. I'm not 100% sold on the yellow against the tan backdrop of WW, dk red would be impressive? But te form, structure, and undeniable 'legoness' of the model are all brilliant!

God Bless,

Nathan

Oh Brickminer, this is so very beautiful.

You have a great eye for details which shows in your MOCs and in the way you present them.

I don't think Lego could have done this any better. You also manage to capture a lot of Lego-spirit in this MOC.

However, Lego would probably only add 3 minifig in a set of this size. But 5 is definitely better.

If you made instructions and a part-list, I'm convinced some members (including myself) would order the parts for this set.

it seems to me, that it's time to redesign some of my classics, and reinterpret them applying a greater understanding of my own personal style.

Errr... Where's a link to the original saloon? I can't different tell the difference between this and the orignal!

That's a very nice MOC, Brick Miner!

As I saw the older version of this MOC, I must say now it's much better.

Here is my review:

What I really do like:

-The style of the saloon is very nice and would perfectly go with older (official) Lego WW sets.

-The door and the two windows downstairs are very well designed.

-The choice of minifigs is very nice because there is a "normal" citizen and a female minifig, too.

-The plate outside with the information for the show is very well designed.

-I like the mirror with the jewels upstairs. (Should this display a commode?)

-I find it nice that you made a "real" room upstairs and not - like in your older version - only windows.

What I don't like so much:

-There is very little place downstairs so that this room seems to be overcrowded.

-There would have been enough place to put in a bed upstairs (to display a guestroom) because now it looks very empty.

-I'm very disappointed that there is no bar and no barman although we discussed the use of non-alcoholic drinks in http://eurobricks.hosting.ipsyn.com/eurofo...pic=9151&st=165.

But all in all it's a very nice set because it looks - in comparison to the older version - more like a house than only as a front!

Now thats what I call a "Saloon" :'-)

Its perfect I love the use of posters all around and whiskey barrel!!

The building is very nice, but still no bar :-/

Yes I know this has been disscused a long time ago in a thread far far away :-D

Great Job Can't Wait to see your next MOC!!!

Would that happen to be the Bridge crossing?

Saloon Brawl ON!

Piranha

Edited by Piranha

Nice to see some bricknews from you BM!

And you're working on your layout, which is great!

The new version is better than the old one (which is a good think when you spend some times trying to make it better... :-D ). It doesn't have this empty feeling and looks more built now.

On negative point for me is that I wwouldn't put a small yellow fence in front of the "Saloon piece", because we don't see it as well...

And the mechanism for the chairs, using magnets is really creative! (Why TLC doesn't used them more?...)

And nothing to say about the BM extra: decals and background are so nice! I really like the door with this sticker, it looks like a new official door piece. Maybe the curtains are too simple now...

And I know what you feel when you said that it's not as funny to improve a moc as building a new one... It's the same for me and my layout. So, this is why I destroy allmost all my houses, to build all news... (I have to do a new layout, but not for 2007, don't have enought time this year...)

Nice to see some bricknews from you BM!

And you're working on your layout, which is great!

yes, alex, i thought of you when i was working on this image...

6758_gunslingers_saloon10_goldcity01.jpg

i new you would like that, because as we have discussed before, i am doing with LEGOREDO, what town fans are doing with modern cities... building a community.

you can imagine having the above bank, general store, and saloon combinded with the train station...

6785_legoredo_station01_box01.jpg

and the sheriff's office...

6755-1.jpg

it's quite a becoming town !!! and its fun to set up the entire scene on my kitchen table and have the train roll through LEGOREDO and then through the outskirts of the desert where i have the gold mine, fort and other non-town items set up (including the ghost town of Shiversdale *skull* ).

when i have released several MOCs, and have quite a collection, i want to take photos of the complete town, as you have done with your modern city. your setup looked like so much fun !!!

thanks for the feedback KD / Pirahna !!!

- BM

Now that I've compared both versions I can see a striking distance between them!

The original looks flimsy and two-dimensional while the new version looks more substantial. Still, the original looks better than most Castle sets The LEGO Group has released since about 1995...

The original looks flimsy and two-dimensional while the new version looks more substantial.
:-D ya, i like how KD put it... "it looks more like house than a fort." you know, the first version of my train station looked like a fort too... maybe i've secretly been pining to build a fort all these years... hmmmm... maybe that will be next WW project, i haven't done any calvary stuff yet.

- BM

It so much more fleshed out and like a real building now. The stickers really add to the feel of the saloon, I especially like the sign in front, and the one over the door. The chorus lady looks extremeley dangerous ;-)

:-D ya, i like how KD put it... "it looks more like house than a fort." you know, the first version of my train station looked like a fort too... maybe i've secretly been pining to build a fort all these years... hmmmm... maybe that will be next WW project, i haven't done any calvary stuff yet.

- BM

You made a mistake when quoting me, Brick Miner:

I wrote that your new nice Saloon MOC is "more like a house than only as a front" and not "fort".

That gives my comment a totally different meaning.

But it's not bad - I sometimes read over something, too!

By the way: As this great Saloon MOC is only a new version of your older Saloon MOC and not a really new MOC - isn't there a possibility that you post one of your really new MOCs earlier then only in four month from now on? Perhaps to Christmas? That would be a nice Christmas present for each WW fan! (-:

I wrote that your new nice Saloon MOC is "more like a house than only as a front" and not "fort".

Well according to the inkblot theory you've identified BM's preoccupation with forts and his continued plans to build one X-D . For what it's worth I was inspired by Legoredo to create a lego scale (well almost) version:

Link to ancient, inferior, MOC ;-)

God Bless,

Nathan

so yes you did... :-D my mistake, sorry for the mis-quote. it seems norro is right, im so consumed with building a fort, that im even reading it everywhere !!!
By the way: As this great Saloon MOC is only a new version of your older Saloon MOC and not a really new MOC - isn't there a possibility that you post one of your really new MOCs earlier then only in four month from now on? Perhaps to Christmas? That would be a nice Christmas present for each WW fan! (-:
so little time. i wish i could design sets as a full time job, then i could give you an MOC every week, KD !!! though your enthusiasm for my MOCs is quite encouraging... thank you for pushing me !!!

- BM

I new you would like that, because as we have discussed before, i am doing with LEGOREDO, what town fans are doing with modern cities... building a community.

you can imagine having the above bank, general store, and saloon combinded with the train station...

and the sheriff's office...

it's quite a becoming town !!! and its fun to set up the entire scene on my kitchen table and have the train roll through LEGOREDO and then through the outskirts of the desert where i have the gold mine, fort and other non-town items set up (including the ghost town of Shiversdale *skull* ).

when i have released several MOCs, and have quite a collection, i want to take photos of the complete town, as you have done with your modern city. your setup looked like so much fun !!!

thanks for the feedback KD / Pirahna !!!

- BM

For me it's a real moment of joy when I finished to build my layout! I can look at it for houres, with the trains running around it! I look at it like a child looking at a christmas tree *sweet* ! It's like this is not my layout, I'm a spectator...

All my small mocs with the official sets... Trying to make those old catalogue diorama comes true...

And become the moment to store it... I take some pics, so I can see the evolution of my building! Like you did with your Saloon. So after a year, you can say: Hey, look at my first layout, it was so small and the buildings were so simple! :-D

It's not easy to describe this feeling...

This is why I love LEGO so much!