1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

I am back to share with you another new set on the LEGO Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens. I am very excited to look forward the continuation of the Star Wars Trilogy. The best way for me to celebrate 'Force Friday' is actually to acquire new LEGO Star War sets and start building it. However, due to limited budget, I can only begin with this smallest set in this wave. Meanwhile, you may also check the similar review of Eurobricks Fellow's def take on this set review as well. It has been a long time since we have two different Reviewers Academy Teachers sharing their take on the same set.

Name: 75099 Rey's Speeder

Theme: LEGO System / Star Wars / Episode 7

Year: 2015

Pieces: 193

Minifigs: 2 minifigures

Price: USD $19.99, GBP 19.99, EURO NA, SGD $49.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

Speed into action on Rey's Speeder!

Hover into action on Rey's Speeder! This cool landspeeder has everything Rey needs for scouting the surface of a desert planet, including dual stud shooters, opening storage hatch and side-mounted bag, blaster, buzzsaw and electrobinoculars. There’s also a detachable sled with space for a minifigure when Rey must make a quick escape down the desert dunes! Recreate your own fantastic scenes from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Includes 2 minifigures: Rey and Unkar’s Thug with a crowbar.

• Includes 2 minifigures: Rey and Unkar’s Thug with a crowbar

• Rotate the engine to open the storage hatch

• Grab the side-mounted accessories

• Unhitch the sled and get ready for an adrenalin-filled sandsurf!

• Recreate fantastic scenes from Star Wars: The Force Awakens

• The perfect addition to any LEGO® Star Wars collection

• Measures over 3” (9cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide

An original box image of the 75099 Rey's Speeder

20571205603_1751e22035_o_d.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 75099 Rey's Speeder

21182052422_34a194b465_o_d.jpg

The first feature on The Force Awakens

21182054362_c53670074d_o_d.jpg

Little do I know about this background of this set other than this

which I can relate to, I would have to admit that this set is very accurate based on the actual speeder. There are various speeders or speeder bikes exist but this is the first time for me to acquire such a speeder design. Well, the focal of this set is to get both new minifigures but the price for all regions really turns me off. I hate to rant on prices but for that actual price point, it ought to get three minifigures or even add a droid to make it three. Some of the Superhero sets in this similar price-point also contain three minifigures which happened to be Licensed as well. I really don't know why it is so expensive and probably expensive due to the Disney license which is very unfortunate. Either way, I am going to give my take on what I felt about this small set.

The content of the sealed box

21005556389_5021136225_o_d.jpg

The sealed box come with two mint numbered packs, an instruction manual which also promote new LEGO Star Wars minifigures and new set. There is a dreaded sticker sheet which I thought most of the parts ought to be printed instead of stickers. After building the set, these are the remaining spare parts

The new LEGO Star Wars Episode 7 minifigures

21004226910_88ed9f1425_o_d.jpg

To be honest, I am not familiar with these new characters. All I know that Rey is a female scavenger with no last name and Unkar's Thugs are strong armed bullies who work for junk dealer, Unkar Plutt which seem to exist on the Planet Jakku. Well, this planet is similar to Tatooine though. Both characters got detailed back printing.

Rey got excellent accessories including the side pouch and the incredible new sand helmet goggle which look real good on her. Rey has a different facial appearance which can be seen from here.

On the other hand, Unkar's Thug looks like those typical villainous thug. I don't find him very outstanding or striking in its appearance. The design appear quite normal and dull. You can see its full facial appearance without the covered grey hood. There is no alternate facial appearance from his back.

The entire building content for Packet 1

21166127406_9489c9a5f3_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 1

21004240560_fba64f50e5_o_d.jpg

Upon finishing packet 1, you can see the base and the structure of the speeder being formed. The remaining content of Packet 2 will fill up the exterior to give the finishing touch.

The entire building content for Packet 2

20571228183_51b0a353be_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 2

21182036692_9920719840_o_d.jpg

The Rey's Speeder is finally complete. It has a nice dark red finishing on the exterior and it is very accurate to the movie reference. The Speeder Bike has an excellent storage area on the outside which hold the blaster, buzzsaw and electrobinoculars. The Speeder also contain dual-stud shooting blasters which is very visible from its front view.

By turning to the back view of the Speeder, turn the bottom knob of the engine outlet, you can actually reveal more storage area upon opening both side flaps. You can push the storage crate out of there where ammunition are stored. I wonder what else can we keep in there.

Side view of Rey Speeder

21004439548_811284e942_o_d.jpg

Rey riding down the desert dunes

20569699604_efe700f8d0_o_d.jpg

It is a great pity that so many stickers are applied onto this nice Speeder. Without those stickers to give the added detail, it still look impressive but it won't be in a much rustic look as it ought to be.

You can't ambush me

21004461368_7493422b7a_o_d.jpg

Speeder Bikes Annual Race

20571246083_bd7b17e633_o_d.jpg

Stop chasing me

20571204213_6ebd424489_o_d.jpg

To conclude, this set is quite almost below average. I love the Speeder design and Rey minifigure especially the new sand goggle. It is really a fine speeder which is well represented in a desert looking planet. However, the pricing really turns me off for the price per parts ratio and only two minifigures in this set. It is very disappointing to see the price at such a high note. If the stickers are translated to printed parts, I will think the price could be much well justify. However, I am disappointed with this pricing. This set is best to acquire during sales, if any. I would not have get it if is not because of Force Friday.

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (Fun playing speeder and I like to twist the knob to reveal the extra storage area.)

Design: 8/10 (Fine speeder design and is accurate to actual movie reference.)

Price: 3/10 (Price is on the extreme high side especially after considering parts per price ratio, two minifigures and sticker sheet.)

Overall: 6.3/10 (Do consider getting this set if you wish to buy the new Star War sets to be part of the fan fest. Other than that, you may wish to wait for sales just to get this.)

I gave it a "3" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about you?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr.

Awesome review! I picked this up yesterday, and I love it. I do have to agree with you on the price, all of the TFA sets are ridiculously overpriced for some stupid reason.

:thumbup:

I voted Outstanding. I built this yesterday and love it. It was a fun, quick build. The minifigures are awesome. I didn't apply the stickers (I never do), but I think it looks great without them. The value is a bit much, as with all of the sets in this wave, but it's fairly reasonable for the piece count. Unfortunately, the piece count is eaten up a bit by the projectiles. Still, the value here is among the best for the wave. I'd say use a coupon (which I did) or buy during a sale if possible.

Nice review!

Thanks for the great review WhiteFang :thumbup:

I totally agree with you, it's a nice little set but the RRP is totally ridiculous! I'll probably grab one if I can find it at 30% off, otherwise it's an easy pass for me. I don't understand why the majority of this wave is so expensive (apart from the Falcon, which is actually cheaper than 7965 in the UK for some reason); I get the feeling that a lot of them will be heavily discounted in the run-up to Christmas. There are so many other sets currently available at the moment & I'm happy to spend my money elsewhere.

Awesome review (as usual...) I completely agree with your scoring! I wonder which one will be your favorite... :wink:

I like this set. I would think that the 1x1 bley clip on the left side of the speeder is to hold Rey's staff--at least, that's where I put mine, so she doesn't have to awkwardly hold it. Two criticisms--one, I wish there were somewhere to store her hair when she's not wearing it. Similarly, I hate how these stud shooters come with an abundance of studs--I mean, that's nice to fire them, but keeping them with the sets can be tricky. I just plugged all the spare studs onto the bottom of the speeder, where they're not really noticeable. Second complaint--I wish her mask were in two pieces so that we could display Rey with her face unmasked. Pretty sure we see her in the trailer with her face but not scalp uncovered. This seems to me to be a single use mold--I can't think of any other MF that could reasonably use the piece--so why not make it in two parts, other than cost? Oh well.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I enjoyed playing and building with this set. This speeder is a firm and compact built which have fun details in there. It is a pity that they are so much stickered parts and the high retail price.