Sign in to follow this  
Jreacher

(MOD) Imperial Trading Post Merchant Ship

pirates-indexed.gif One Mast 7D

This is my modified ITP ship. I increased the length and height and changed the red out for yellow. Also added a below deck storage.

The Original

17382775969_950edca1ff_z.jpgUntitled by K R, on Flickr

The MOD

17563638762_b8619299ee_z.jpgMOD IMPT ship by K R, on Flickr

17379617299_ed23579194_z.jpgMOD IMPT ship by K R, on Flickr

17378347800_980a78f067_z.jpgMOD IMPT ship by K R, on Flickr

17563642352_eac6d8599e_z.jpgMOD IMPT ship by K R, on Flickr

16943370764_ca051f49a9_z.jpgMOD IMPT ship by K R, on Flickr

17565957635_57bcb97dfd_z.jpgMOD IMPT ship by K R, on Flickr

That's a pretty good MOD - there's no question what it's based on. Too bad the original wasn't a little bigger though... Anyway, I for one prefer to see more trading vessels. This being the Pirates forum, warships hardly serve as suitable prey for the bucaneers among us. Time to crack the ol' knuckles and get busy...

I agree with you, there needs to be more and larger trade ships. In a perfect world Lego would have come out with 1 Pirate ship, 1 imperial ship and 1 trade ship, all roughly the same size $100 sets.

We agree on the concept of having a third ship for merchants, and while I wouldn't mind seeing similarly sized and priced ships for pirates and merchants, I would rather have larger warships for the imperials. I suspect TLG would feel the same way if it ever built a sizable trade ship: having 3 ships of about the same size and price would create sales competition within the brand, whereas different sizes would allow the company different price points for different customers. (Of course, there will always be knuckeheads like me who would buy them all regardless, but that's another story!) At this point I'd be happy to have a simple prefab merchantman, "wide" or narrow, and while I'm dreaming let's make it a barque or barquentine for variety. But this is the MOC forum... so I guess I'll have to build my own! First I have to finish my other project though...

Ahh that would make more sense. To have different size ships with different prices. I was in my dark ages when the new imperial flagship came out... so sdaly i was never able to buy it, and now its like $600 and thats too much for me.

I got back into Lego with the 10210 IFS, bought used off ebay a few years ago for $367US (including shipping). That's just about exactly twice the actual new price for that model. I thought about getting another but the collectibility (based on its size and full-rigged sail plan, I suspect) has driven even used prices to ridiculous levels since I bought mine, which was in excellent condition. So how does this relate to the topic? Simple: limiting the market for large ships has allowed original buyers to really cash in on sales while forcing second buyers to really fork it over. TLG has to know there is vast sales potential for large ships among ship-starved customers, and less but still substantial interest in smaller, well-built trading vessels. I know the pirate faction comes first, then the imperials, but there's plenty of room for a merchant faction - even if it consisted of nothing more than a ship! TLG, whaddya think?

Yea I agree with ya. Maybe TLG will come out with another IFS or maybe they will re-release it. I could only hope haha. I would like to build more merchant ships but I would need more hull pieces and some sails.... unless i make my own sails.

Nice trading vessel you got there. Upon inspecting the original ship, i cant stop but notice the looong road they took to attach the horizontal mast... see how many pieces they needed :P

Regarding trade vessels for our beloved pirates to feast upon, as soon as i stop fearing that my wrecker cat will destroy/dismantle IFS sails and minifigs, i will put it out of the box and MOD it as a big trade vessel.

Then (or sooner) we can make a forum competition/poll of matching pirate ships against trading ships (or military ships or even pirate ones for lack of all the rest) for the dwellers of the forum to vote. Something like A or B will win certain imaginary duels? Wouldn't that be interesting Cpt Braunsfeld?

Edited by blackdeathgr