Kai NRG

[CG: J10 U vs. HC] How Adira got to A15...

Reference to Adair's build.

The stowaway in the cabin had long since filled his belly on apples and drifted off to sleep with the quiet motion of the ship in the almost windless sea. The sail billowed slowly out, then fell again, in a way that was remarkably similar to the heaving of the stowaway's chest. Presently a low sigh escaped him. A rustle on deck and a sudden babbling of orders in a woman's voice awoke him. He sat up with a jerk and spent the next few minutes righting the barrel and replacing apples. Fortunately, the noise was covered over by the lady's loud shouting. He paused for a second, just as she dropped into a lower tone. "Revenge. That is my life now. And my revenge will not be complete until every single Ulandian is dead and their island sunk back into the ocean."

Revenge! On every single Ulandian?! This was really too much! Our stowaway happened to have been greatly helped on his way by several Ulandian soldiers - in fact they were the ones who had smuggled him on this ship - and he was quite willing to repay the favor. Certainly he did not wish this thoughtlessly passionate girl to get away with her mad scheming! For hours he sat there, racking his brain. What should he do? What could he do?

The night began to close, and darkness crept over the ocean. The stowaway stiffened in his hiding place as the cabin door opened and Adira herself entered. "So dark in here!" she muttered. "I could really use a candle!"

A candle! Fire! That was it! The stowaway had to clap his hand over his mouth to prevent himself from shouting, "Eureka!" Impatiently he waited until all was quiet. Then he snuck out of the cabin and drew a flint stone out of his pocket. By dint of long patience he finally achieved a spark. Eagerly he watched it consume the tarred canvas he fed it. Then he placed it carefully in a place where it was sure to catch. Had the watch not been so sound asleep, they might well have seen, not many minutes later, their small gig lowered over the side. But they were sound asleep. Not until the clothes of the first mate began to burn did he realize what was happening. Then instantly all was abustle, Adira rushed out, shouting orders again, the commander of the troops also bellowed orders, and so did the first mate - these orders all had to do with relieving his pain, "Bring me water! And a linen poultice! And a pot of soothing ointment!" - and the cacophony was so great that it was quite amazing that Adira and the commander managed to lash together a few spars and launch their small raft onto the water before things really started to heat up. Knowing they had to get far away before the water sucked the ship down, they began to swim and push the raft through the water, calling to those on board to jump out and help them. But all too many didn't hear.

Adira looked backwards over her shoulder at the burning ship, barely bigger than the size of a quarter now. Who had done this? She sighed wearily. It must have been the crew. They had Desert King leanings. "Revenge is more complicated than I thought," she muttered to herself. "Now I'll have to postpone completing it until every single Desert King follower is dead - or whatever happens to mummies - and their king is once again locked away in his dismal tomb!"

Fortunately for Adira, a ship belonging to an enterprising Kaliphlin merchant who, even in these troubled times, prosecuted his calling vigorously, passed by and picked them up. It was going to A15, which Adira thought was just perfect. Several of the crew were quite willing to join her on her mission of vengeance, so she was able to muster the same force as before.

16356445004_a85bd06caa.jpg

Note the curved sail. I was quite proud of that. :grin: Tried to stick as much as possible to Adair's original design!

16768767817_23e6cc96ed.jpg

An overview:

16356452604_0c77f21368.jpg

Original post (picture may not work):

Please note: This picture is very much a placeholder, just to prove that I did have it done in time! It's much too early here to get good pictures, but come eight and sunrise I hope to have good pictures up, and a story too! The basic rundown is that a stowaway burned the ship and foiled Adira's plans to fight against Ulandus, she just managed to survive with a few of her men by building a quick and unstable raft, and then got picked up by a ship going to A15. A good portion of the crew joined her, thus boosting her force back to its original size.

16768767817_736653d62b.jpg

Edited by Kai NRG

Great story, seems like Adira is certainly falling on some hard times, especially involving bodies of water! The photo is a little rough (extra hairdos in the background :laugh: ), but presents some awesome forced perspective. Very clever build, the fig posing is great - I like the one guy looking back at the burning ship. Nice counter! :thumbup:

The sun has risen! :laugh: Better pictures now up.

Excellent scene! I really like the raft and fig posing :thumbup:

Thanks Little John! How you managed to see any detail in that picture though is beyond me! :tongue:

Great story, seems like Adira is certainly falling on some hard times, especially involving bodies of water! The photo is a little rough (extra hairdos in the background :laugh: ), but presents some awesome forced perspective. Very clever build, the fig posing is great - I like the one guy looking back at the burning ship. Nice counter! :thumbup:

:laugh: Yes, she better stay away from anything that looks wet in the future! The extra hairdos have been removed as per suggestion. :tongue: Thank you!

While I didn't especially like how Adira was portrayed, the build was nice, as was the story. One problem: The ship wasn't the Guerrilla.

It was the Incapacitating of the Ulandan Officer (commander of the Ulandan troops in that one square) that was the Guerrilla... which could have been countered by, say, having a competant healer heal him, or showing a competant second in command etc....

I think this counter still counts, though it doesn't fit the Guerrilla much. Great job with the build anyhow!

Nice counter Kai, great FP with that ship! :sweet::thumbup:

...One problem: The ship wasn't the Guerrilla...

I agree with LordDan here. The flashback build should be put towards something else, because it is not really a guerrilla attack. The boat should be the guerrilla build...

Ska also said somewhere else that the person building the counter could choose which build he wanted to counter, so there isn't anything wrong with this :wink:

Nice counter Kai, great FP with that ship! :sweet::thumbup:

Ska also said somewhere else that the person building the counter could choose which build he wanted to counter, so there isn't anything wrong with this :wink:

OK... I did specify which one... whatever. Great build Kai! :classic:

Thanks guys!

While I didn't especially like how Adira was portrayed, the build was nice, as was the story. One problem: The ship wasn't the Guerrilla.

It was the Incapacitating of the Ulandan Officer (commander of the Ulandan troops in that one square) that was the Guerrilla... which could have been countered by, say, having a competant healer heal him, or showing a competant second in command etc....

I think this counter still counts, though it doesn't fit the Guerrilla much. Great job with the build anyhow!

<p>I tried to stick to a fairly third person view of Adira, that is, one that could be written off as the stowaway's biased impression, so hopefully any unsatisfactory parts can be easily ignored. :grin: As for what was the guerrilla, I quote Ska on the week four post, "SPECIAL: This one got a little confusing, so here is what we are going to do. Since there are two builds here, you may pick one build to counter. If Adair Wins both, the challenge is successful and HC takes the square. and he will get 12 personal points (if both builds are contested, 4 in no are contested, 8 if only one is contested and he wins the vote)." So I picked this one, although I actually had a good idea for the other one (though I'm not sure how well most GoHers would have received it!

Great build, nice fp! :thumbup:

Thanks LV!

Excellent use of FP :thumbup: The guys in the water look great too :classic:

Thank you SK!