Sign in to follow this  
SkaForHire

Warzone 5: Battle of the Deep Sands

Warzone 5: Battle of the Deep Sands

Who Can Participate: All Factions

Terrain: This battle happens in the heart of the Dune Sea. The Dune Sea is full of large, often changing, crests of sand. There is very little stable ground, and where there is, there is usually some small oasis as the source of water. However, these Oases often disappear for months at a time under the ever-changing sands. A haboob can pick up at any moment and blow mountains of sand, literally, miles from its original point. Even though not the largest desert in Kaliphlin, the absence of landmarks makes it very easy to become trapped in the Dune Sea, often a traveler can be driven mad from his or her surroundings. This madness is known to those in the Kaliphlin as “Dunstyria.”

History: The region has few settlements, and has had even fewer rulers. There is very little of importance here but a few oil wells and a swatch of territory to add to a ruler’s map. It is odd that war broke out here, but it does lie in the middle of many important locations in Kaliphlin, it is bordered by the Petraea Road, the Mystic Mountains, the Lone Mountain, the Swamps of Qar-Akhen River, and the more profitable Parched Lands. In some regards, it is a second avenue into many of these locations, and the side who controls it would be sealing off a backdoor to other locations. The troops must watch out for the mythic Sand Ghouls, Sand Worms, Dirtmaids, and Lerik'ai, all of which can bring a swift end to a party, and if not the inhabitants of the Dune Sea, then nature itself may deal a fatal blow.

Mini-challenge: Depict the desolation of the region, while securing it for your side. This does not have to be a battle scene, it can be an occupation (you decide of what), taming the region somehow, building a fortification to outlast the Haboobs, etc… Use your imagination.

Special judging consideration: The public will be asked to judge who won based on creative use of the desert. IE: we are asking MOCers to really demonstrate life and death in the desert, not just a pile of sand and some figs.

Secondary Category: Best Sand. A third question will be asked on the voting thread, which build contained the best sand? Although it has nothing to do with who will win the battle, it does allow that winner to be known throughout Historica as the “Traverser of the Great Sands.”

Restrictions: Unlimited.

Due Date: April 5th

When posting a link to your entry to each battle thread, make sure you note which zone you are picking as the next warzone if you win. You may want to coordinate with others from your faction.

While I will probably not be participating in this challenge I am looking forward to what those who do produce!

This is not a challenge entry but I was reminded of, and couldn't resist sharing, an old Dune Sea build as a source for inspiration here, in the hope that it will get some more builders to try this very Kaliphlin environment :classic:

I should also take the opportunity to promote our old Inside Kaliphlin collab as a source for inspiration for the different environments this war takes place in!

9089672978_cdf87e5884.jpg

9188751368_e7de02d18b.jpg

We've only seen one entry to date, and I wonder why that is? The description sounds like it demands an insanely epic building, maybe that is why some people hesitate?

Anyway, I would suggest to postpone the deadline for a week, cause it would be a pity to see only few builds for such an amazing challenge.

Edited by Elostirion

We've only seen one entry to date, and I wonder why that is? The description sounds like it demands an insanely epic building, maybe that is why some people hesitate?

Anyway, I would suggest to postpone the deadline for a week, cause it would be a pity to see only few builds for such an amazing challenge.

Wz 3 had only a fistful of entries till last friday either. They all came on the last two days. So don't worry.

Just wanted to chime in - no deadline extensions please, they're certainly not needed on this end and with the way the challenge is structured a deadline extension hardly gives anyone more time anyways!

Totally agree, deadline extensions are the worst idea ever. People who whine about time are not focused, that's their problem. I don't really understand why everybody is building guerilla attacks like hell and then needs a deadline extension for the important stuff.

Totally agree, deadline extensions are the worst idea ever. People who whine about time are not focused, that's their problem. I don't really understand why everybody is building guerilla attacks like hell and then needs a deadline extension for the important stuff.

I agree about the deadline extensions for warzones -- unless something major comes up, we probably should keep these firm. It was my mistake making this one Easter though. I apologize for that.