Sign in to follow this  
jttnot

Digital Designer closing? HELP :)

I've contacted lego customer service and was referred here. And to warn you, I am not a computer guru so if you speak in internet lingo we won't get anywhere lol

The Issue...

I have been building on Lego Digital designer for about 3 weeks now. 1 project. I am up to 16,000 bricks. I was told by Lego there is no piece count limit so 16,000 pieces has been ruled out (maybe). The project is 30 X 30 of the 32 dot base plates. Therefore it goes outside the standard filed of vision for viewing the model as a whole. While the count is not exactly 16,000 (more like 15,981?) once I saved the other day the problem began. Now when I try to load my model, it either closes right before the model loads or occasionally it loads the model but the instant I place a single piece the program closes. Not just closes to the part where you choose which model to load but closes all the way like when you close a web page.

Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it?

HP Pavilion 23 with Windows 8 purchased 03-2014

Thanks for any help anyone may have. James

I could if i knew how to do that lol

Can you upload your file using a online file sharing site i.e Brickshelf or Bricksafe for us to look at?

Also, wouldn't I have to be able to open it to do that?

There's not a hard-and-fast upper limit on the number of pieces, but I've found that LDD likes to crash when I'm working with big files - is there a way for you to split the build into several smaller projects?

There's not a hard-and-fast upper limit on the number of pieces, but I've found that LDD likes to crash when I'm working with big files - is there a way for you to split the build into several smaller projects?

I might be able to but then i might get lost in what goes where. Here's what I am building, A lego model of A. J. Foyt's old house in Friendswood TX. Located at 403 Sunset Drive if you want to look it up on google maps or Mapquest sattelite view. It is a 10 acre estate. The main house has 13 bedrooms. There is a large 1 bedroom mother in law house attached by a port cochere (spelling) with a 6 car garage attached to the back of that. An olympic sided swimming pool directly behind the main house with two 2 bedroom houses (one on either side of the pool). There is a very large pond that has a 12 person floating gazeebo on it that is fully equiped with utilities and a bbq pit. In the rear of the property there is an enormous garage like structure. The right side had a 3 story garage door with a motor home inside. to the left of that were two 2 story garage doors with car racks half way up and race cars in the racks. Then 3 single story garage doors. There was a 2 bedroom apartment above the 3 single garage doors and a rather large 3 bedroom apartment above that and the two 2 story garage doors. As it stands now, I have the first floor of the main house built, the circular drive and both entry fences, the mother in law house (no roof) the 6 car garage (which has a giant game room above it but not built yet) the swimming pool, the first floor of one of the guest houses by the pool and the foundation of the second. While the entire property will be an estimated 30X30 base plates (32studs) I do have most of them placed but not all of them. Maybe 20 plates missing.

The main problem is the detail. The coffee pot, the fountain drink machine like fast food resturants have, the vaccuum cleaner, the baby grand piano, the dvd shelves that slide out of the wall, the fact that every room in the house has different colored walls. I have complete bathrooms with shower heads and sinks, i have closests. I have even built in a pet door into the sliding glass doors in the living room. all which i could duplicate but it has taken me 3 weeks to get this far and i am maybe 20% done with the project. Maybe I'll win the 317 million tomorrow so i can just buy enough lego's to build it in real life lol

Open a blank file. Turn down the combatibility requirements under preferences--turn off the outlines to bricks, etc. Quit LDD, then reopen and then try opening your file.

Open a blank file. Turn down the combatibility requirements under preferences--turn off the outlines to bricks, etc. Quit LDD, then reopen and then try opening your file.

That was the first thing lego had me do. Didn't work. :(

So I conducted a test. Opened a new build and placed 8 base plates in a 4x4 pattern, then started adding bricks (2x2) filling the plates. First save at 10k, then 15k then 1k+ incrementally. Got to 20k bricks and no problems. Opened a new file for base plates only. Placed a 10X10 layout and saved, then 15x15 and saved again. Then placed a 1 baseplate border saving after each border. Once I saved at 17X17 that was the furthest I could go. The most I managed to add was 5 base plates (all 32x32 dots) before the program shut down.

Once you reach a certain amount of poly's LDD will close/crash. There is nothing you can do to stop it except break your moc down into smaller chunks. My capital ship is on hold until LDD might finally overcome this and maybe even use your graphics card instead of just being software rendered.

Once you reach a certain amount of poly's LDD will close/crash. There is nothing you can do to stop it except break your moc down into smaller chunks. My capital ship is on hold until LDD might finally overcome this and maybe even use your graphics card instead of just being software rendered.

I've emailed Lego about the problem and hopefully there is a fix in the next update. I think my 10 Acre Estate will be on hold until it is fixed as well. How many pieces do you have vested in the ship so far?

Sorry for the late response. 21,416 pieces on just the fighter dock control system, its modular and designed to be replicated. I can open it but not move it around LDD just closes.

This is a pic:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shr0ud/8119550301/

I run LDD on an i7 3ghz, 12 gb ram, nvidia GTX 780 Ti, solid state drives with 64 bit Win 7. Did you have any luck from TLG?