Sign in to follow this  
henrysunset

LEGO 21022 Lincoln Memorial - now in stores + review

I just found this set 2015 at a Toys R'Us store near Charleston, West Virginia. I didn't waste any time building the model (without using the instructions) and writing up an article which describes the part selection, the build process and the finished model.

IMG_4026-600x400.jpg

The finished model is very detailed but pretty small.

I enjoyed the build and think the finished model looks good. It is about average for a set in the Architecture series. It is a bit more repetitive and less engaging than some of the other models such as Big Ben, Eiffel Tower or UN Headquarters sets.

IMG_4016-600x480.jpg

The part selection includes rare and expensive parts, and is a great addition to a LEGO Architecture Studio collection of White bricks.

The most noteworty part is 87994 (Bar 3L) in White, since the set includes 46 of them. That part is rare, and currently runs for 0.43$/part on Bricklink, so we should expect prices for that part in secondary markets to collapse.

If you want to see more photos and learn more about this fun new Architecture set, you can see my blog post athttp://tomalphin.com

Sincerely,

---tom

Good review of a bad set. Congrats to the designer who managed to achieve repetitive build in a small set.

What is wrong with this set? Architecture sets ARE suppose to be small.

I think @OffTheWall is just saying that the set is super repetitive and the build process isn't very interesting. I do agree that this is one of the less interesting builds in the series, and noted as such in my review. The finished model looks pretty good which is a a plus. It also makes up for the boring construction due to the inclusion of useful and rare parts.

Really? The landmark subseries, sure, but there is also a good variety of Architecture sets that aren't small.

Have you not seen the Robie House or Farnsworth House sets?

As much as I didn't like the scale, I too got this set yesterday and put it together. 274 pieces, so was about 15 mins or so I guess...I actually like the finished product as you say, but when I was done I was just thinking wow, this is nice for being so small, what could it have been if it was 2 or 3 times the size? I feel TLG mailed this one in, but I do like it now that I built it.

I want better buildings myself, we need a FLW house or similar again, I will get Flatiron but that is going to be just like Lincoln I am guessing...will like it once its built but I am bleh on getting office buildings that someone considers great architecture. We already have that with the early versions of Hancock, Sears, etc. The architecture world has so much more to offer.

I will get Flatiron but that is going to be just like Lincoln I am guessing...will like it once its built...

I don't think that Flatiron will be a boring build. I tried to build it based only on the cover photo which leaked in September, and I'm confident that it will have a higher part count (estimating 375 parts) and the construction will be interesting in order to achieve the wedge-shaped design. It will definitely have a greater part diversity, including a lot 1x2 curved tiles to achieve the rounded edge on the front (I didn't have any of that part at the time, so my model below used 1x2 tiles w/ a 1x1 plate uder one end.

10684129_742074862506511_148167282_n.jpg

More photos and analysis here: http://tomalphin.com/2014/09/reverse-engineering-lego-architecture-21023-flatiron-building.html

---tom

I too picked this up, and am frankly not even interested in opening the box yet. I will, but not today.

The Architecture Line is what dragged me out of the Dark Ages, and since about 18 months ago, it really has been kind of downhill for the line.

Edited by rollermonkey

I too picked this up, and am frankly not even interested in opening the box yet. I will, but not today.

The Architecture Line is what dragged me out of the Dark Ages, and since about 18 months ago, it really has been kind of downhill for the line.

I couldn't agree more. I didn't get started with Lego until my wife bought me a FLW set for Christmas a few years back. That got me interested in Lego and I started collecting modulars. But, in the past year or so, Lego seems to want to take the 'A' out of AFOL.

I want larger more detailed buildings.

Don't despair, even if LEGO hasn't made anything as intricate as Fallingwater or Imperial Hotel in a while, there are lots of great AFOL-made LEGO models you may not have seen before here: https://www.pinterest.com/tomalphin/

I do expect that LEGO will do another medium or large Architecture model sometime soon, but maybe that's just my wishes speaking out. There are so many potential models out there: Eames house, Ennis House, Taliesin (either), Villa Rotunda, Royal Saltworks in Arc-et-Senans, Geisel Library, Habitat 67, Chrysler building, Notre Dame cathedral, AT&T Building, Vanna Venturi house, or something by Frank Gehry.

Personally, I'd like to see the next 800+ piece set be of an architect other than FLW. His work is excellent, but there are so many other great buildings that the series needs more diversity.

---tom

Don't despair, even if LEGO hasn't made anything as intricate as Fallingwater or Imperial Hotel in a while, there are lots of great AFOL-made LEGO models you may not have seen before here: https://www.pinterest.com/tomalphin/

I do expect that LEGO will do another medium or large Architecture model sometime soon, but maybe that's just my wishes speaking out. There are so many potential models out there: Eames house, Ennis House, Taliesin (either), Villa Rotunda, Royal Saltworks in Arc-et-Senans, Geisel Library, Habitat 67, Chrysler building, Notre Dame cathedral, AT&T Building, Vanna Venturi house, or something by Frank Gehry.

Personally, I'd like to see the next 800+ piece set be of an architect other than FLW. His work is excellent, but there are so many other great buildings that the series needs more diversity.

---tom

Thanks. And really a big thanks for not including Sagrada familia! :-)

Thanks. And really a big thanks for not including Sagrada familia! :-)

I do have a photo of a huge LEGO Sagrada familia model in my Pinterest collection, but no, I don't think it would make a good official LEGO set.

I believe, don't quote me, but at some point, I think Lego did do some kind of the onion dome church looking buildings they have in Moscow and Russia. OK yes, it was Lego 7418, but I would love to see an official TLG set of these buildings. I have seen some great MOCs of it.

Even a good representation of the Hagia Sofia would be cool, but I think that might be a church that became a mosque and is now a museum? I know a lot of folks thought the SW Jabba's palace set looked like it, so why not do it for real?

I do have a photo of a huge LEGO Sagrada familia model in my Pinterest collection, but no, I don't think it would make a good official LEGO set.

So, my wife and I were standing outside of Sagrada familia. I took one long look and talked her into taking a taxi over to Camp Nou where we spent the afternoon.

Thanks for the review :classic:

The finished Lincoln Memorial looks very nice and I'm considering buying the set now too.

Done. Yeah. It's about as poor a build experience as I expected. It's even smaller than I thought it would be, too.

This will go in the closet with Sungnyemun Gate as the second Architecture set that doesn't get displayed.

Edited by rollermonkey