This question might have been addressed in the past, but for those of us 'collecting' sets, it's always about which one is my favorite.

So, I'm 'close' to having all sets I ever wanted (still missing a numbered few) and find myself pondering which of all those I'd keep as my favorite.

I first started with only one, then realized I could not make it, then how about 3, same answer, but let's be realistic and aim for 5 sets. Which are the 5 'best' sets in your collection. Were you to downsize tomorrow, which are 'hands-off'?

To me, it goes like this (not in any order):

1. 8258 crane truck

2. 8043 excavator

3. 8455 BackHoe

4. 8110 Unimog

5. 8275 Bulldozer

Edited by DrJB

Downsizing?! You must be joking, no such word in my vocab ;-)

1. 8460 (my childhood sweetheart)

2. 8043

3. 42009

4. 8258 (probably more of 3rd place)

5. 8366

Hmm, almost all flagships I own are on that list, hmm... Definetly no downsizing!

I don't expect anyone else to agree with the following list but, this is a personal preference after all.

So, in numerical order:

854 (this would probably be first on the list anyway)

These may not be the "best" sets, for any number of reasons, but they are my favourites and likely the last I would ever part with.

If I were to keep 5 sets and nothing else, I'd pick 5 sets whose parts are compatible. I'm a MOCer, not a collector, so I'd probably pick 5 studless sets with the same color scheme and varied parts - that would give me the most options for MOCing.

Probably something like 8421, 8043, 8265, 8258, 8275.

It's a wholly different question to "what are the 5 best sets I own" :)

If I were to keep 5 sets and nothing else, I'd pick 5 sets whose parts are compatible. I'm a MOCer, not a collector, so I'd probably pick 5 studless sets with the same color scheme and varied parts - that would give me the most options for MOCing.

Probably something like 8421, 8043, 8265, 8258, 8275.

It's a wholly different question to "what are the 5 best sets I own" :)

I agree with your way of seeing things.

A lot of the parts-heavy complex sets are yellow construction machines. Therefore, my list (as a MOC builder) would be something like this:

1. 8043 - for the tracks, LAs and PF equipment

2. 42009 - for the wheels and gear racks

3. 8455 - obviously for the pneumatics

4. 8421- more wheels, pneumatic brackets, motor

5. 42030 - wheels, LAs and PF equipment

Within all those sets there should be enough gears, pins and liftarms to build pretty much anything :classic:

Edited by D3K

Hmm, this is a difficult question. My personal ones would be:

1:41999

2:8110

3:8258

4:8043

5:42009

While I do very much like 8366, it does not make this list because it is technically a Racers set. Also, if I were to ever downsize, I'd get rid of most of my system sets, because I have a lot of them, and I'm more of a Technic builder. Also, as Erik Leppen pointed out, these are the ones I would have in order to display, and not for parts.

8479: Barcode Truck

8880: Supercar

8455: Backhoe or 8480: Space Shuttle - not sure which i'd pick here

8868: Air Tech Claw Rig

8485: Control Centre II

i'm curious about age groups and whether i'm the only studded collection in the list :laugh:

Edited by bonox

I wonder what Blakbird would say in this topic :laugh:

lol, this thread is not fair to him ... he'd not only keep ALL his original sets, but bring along his extensive collection of MOCs.

While I do very much like 8366, it does not make this list because it is technically a Racers set.

Technically, it is Technic; commercially...

lol, this thread is not fair to him ... he'd not only keep ALL his original sets, but bring along his extensive collection of MOCs.

This thread is not fair to us against Blakbird - each MOC in his colection would outrun any set we'd take with us :laugh:

Reading through this thread, I noticed that 8043, 8258, and 8110 are mentioned more than anything else. Have we found the 3 best Technic sets? :look:

My list of three sets that i will keep.

8110 Unimog

8297 Extreme offroader 2

and 8070 Supercar

I don't have either one of these sets but considering that these have been on my wish list forever I think it's an accurate representation of what I'd keep.

8421/42009

8461 - chose this over the silver champion because of the smooth panels, Michelin tires and color scheme.

Interesting that the majority are selecting the bigger sets. From this, you may be forgiven for concluding that the smaller, and even the mid-size, sets are not worthy.

There is also an overwhelming dominance by the studless era, which is interesting too.

There is also an overwhelming dominance by the studless era, which is interesting too.

Studless is at least 10 years old, with a steady stream of sets every year.

We might have come to the time where there are more studless sets than there have been studded sets. Studless has evolved a lot since 2004, and it shows :)

Interesting that the majority are selecting the bigger sets

Bigger sets are probably sipmly more "awesome", more "wow" and more complex. Small sets may be very good, but are more targeted to younger builders (and might indeed be not worthy for AFOLs). It's no surprise to me that AFOLs pick the most complex sets with the most intriguing mechanisms.

But to mention a few mid-sized sets: I think 8069 is a very good set. And I have always liked 8071 and 8296 too, even though I don't own them.

Edited by Erik Leppen

However good or clever a smaller set may be, for me it would be clear to keep the large ones: more parts for MOCing!

So my list (of sets I actually own) would be the following:

8110 Unimog

8252 Crane Truck

41999 Crawler Exclusive

8071 Bucket Truck

8264 Hauler

I left out Service Truck 42008 (i'm not much into green) and also the Mini Cooper 10242 (no Technic) in favour of 8071 for the white parts and 8264 for being my first AFOL set.

I'm going to rock the statistics:

8880 Supercar

8485 Control Centre II

8094 Control Centre I

8455 Backhoe Loader

My final choice would be any GBC set that Lego made. Oh, they don't make any. Oh. In that case it's a toss-up between

8110 Unimog, 9398 Crawler and Sheepo's LandRover

That's what I call an 'outlier' ... statistically speaking of course :classic:

Seriously though, did you actually build Sheepo's Land-Rover?

When I started this thread, the main idea (and the title) was a bit 'stronger' than just your favorite 5 sets. The situation I was picturing was if you ever have to downsize, which 5 sets would you absolutely keep? ... or more dramatic: If the house is on fire and you can only save 5 sets, which would those be?

Somehow a Moderator changed the title, and while I appreciate the mod's work/position/opinion, the current thread title does not really reflect the initial intention.

Edited by DrJB

Well they aren't all "real" Technic sets but:

8653: Enzo Ferrari -> The very best design for a Lego Technic super car. (my opinion)

8458: Silver Champion -> such a smooth symbiosis between studless and studded parts.

8466: 4x4 Offroader -> My childhood dream - I'm so happy that I bought one a year ago

8110: Unimog -> I think it's the only vehicle that has some advanced functions besides its 4x4 drivetrain

8880: Super Car -> First real Lego 4x4 with suspension? Or am I wrong? :D

Reading through this thread, I noticed that 8043, 8258, and 8110 are mentioned more than anything else. Have we found the 3 best Technic sets? :look:

Those are my 3 favorites since they are still on display and not parted out.

Maybe DrJB should have also asked when you entered and exited your Dark Ages. I suspect those sets are recent and had good availability to time with folks coming back to LEGO.