Sign in to follow this  
Peppermint_M

[MOC] Newport Transporter Bridge

14536699765_3a08c8f374_z.jpg

This MOC is based on the Transporter Bridge in Newport, South Wales. I built it to a LEGO Architecture scale as an entry to the 2014 Eurobricks Event: Architecture Contest. We had to build a local landmark.

Ever since I was a child I always found the bridge fascinating, looking at it as we passed it on the road and operating the model that was in the Kingsway Centre. So I just had to build it for the contest.

While I had hoped to build it out of blue bricks, some of the more vital parts don't appear in that colour so dark blueish grey it had to be. I also used embroidery thread to get the cables as correct as I could, regular LEGO tubes were too rigid to use and the string from sets was too thin.

It seems I am not the only one to think it is rather representative of the local area since it also appears in the NATO Summit logo.

A big thanks to CopMike for the custom printed (bi-lingual!) tiles :classic:

I finally got 'round to posting it.

I'd never even heard of a transporter bridge until a couple weeks ago. Very rare type, indeed.

Cool to see someone thinking outside the box.

:)

Great to see another of the EB 2014 architecture entries receive its own post. This was one of the more unusual landmarks in the competition and you pulled off the complex recreation very well.

I have family that actually live near there, just on the outskirts of Newport. It's very well built and true to the original thing!

Wow, that is so true to the real thing. If you hadn't already guessed, I live near this, and I also love going on this bridge. It is also very close to my heart. :cry_happy:

Edited by Sir Brickalot