Chapter 3: HMS Carolina Previous Chapters Chapter 1 Chapter 2 HMS Carolina is a brig-rigged sloop of war. She carries 14 cannons. Her shallow draught makes her excellent for maneuvering closer to shore; however, this reduces the time she is able to spend at sea. HMS Carolina is loosely based on the real-life Cherokee class and Cruizer class brigs.    I fully intend on giving this ship to the royal navy with Thomas Palmer aboard. The commissioning board may rate her as they see fit. I recommend that HMS Carolina be rated as a class 4 or 5. Story Thomas Palmer, acting 2nd Lieutenant aboard HMS Carolina, carries out his duties as officer of the watch. Although the other ship's officers are not on watch, they take their place on HMS Carolina's puny quarterdeck since it is midday and they have nothing better to do. 
Palmer snaps: Mr. Boyle! Organize a swabbing party and get these decks clean!
Mr. Boyle, a Midshipman, scurries towards the quarterdeck and makes his obedience: Aye aye, sir     Whilst swabbing the decks, an unfortunate seaman knocks over a bucket in front of Mr. Boyle...       Mr. Boyle, already moody due to not being able to pass the examination for lieutenant, ominously condemns the poor seaman.
You'll be sorry for this once I've spoken to Mr. Palmer.   Untitled by DeathCap, on Flickr   With a great sigh, Palmer privately admonishes Mr. Boyle.
I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but that man will suffer horribly once the captain hears of this. Do not threaten to punish the men out loud, it forces my hand.
Soon enough, the entire ship's company is mustered to witness punishment.
      Commander Palmer: This man is guilty of negligence and shall be punished according to the rules at sea.
One dozen, Mr. Holler (Bosun)     The crew was shocked, a dozen lashes was a savage punishment for such a small offense. If this keeps up, mutiny will begin brewing.
Mr. Holler: Aye aye sir, one dozen it is, string him up     The punishment begins promptly. The bosun's cane makes a horrible sound as it makes contact with the seaman. Soon enough, blood falls onto the freshly cleaned deck.     Bosun: 12 all and done sir!
Very well, cut him down, announces the 1st Lieutenant     With a yawn, Commander Palmer retires to his quarters
You take it from here Mr. Eccleston (1st Lieutenant) I have important business to attend to (a nap)
Aye aye, sir Mr. Eccleston hurriedly replies.
Mr. Calamy, call the surgeon and take him to the sick bay at once!