Sign in to follow this  
The Outsider

Could Web Of Shadows Have Worked As A Direct Sequel To Mask Of Light?

So, here's an idea that's been circling in my head for the past months:

Apparently, one of the many reasons fans didn't like the 2005 storyline (I personally loved the aesthetic and themes, even if they were not well executed, and my greatest gripe is how the third movie is completely incompatible with the surrounding media of that year) is because, as a midquel, we already knew what the end result was going to be. And one of the main reasons LEGO insisted on it was to reuse the assets and environments from Metru Nui.

So, I wondered: why didn't they make 2005 a direct sequel to Mask of Light? The Matoran were going back to Metru Nui anyway, and it had been abandoned for thousands of years; it'd be perfectly plausible for the Visorak Horde to settle in the meantime and become the next threat to the returning villagers and Toa. Seeing the city overrun and devastated right after hearing about its former greatness and teasing its return might even be a bigger emotional punch (to the character and to the audience) than it all happening in a flashback of a flashback. The Toa Hordika could even be the mutated forms of the Toa Nuva instead to go back to the fan-favorite team, or completely new heroic characters (therefore avoiding the "controversy" of their wildly new looks) who were former victims of the Visorak and followed them around trying to thwart them, becoming allies of the past characters.

At that point, the only major unresolved plotlines were how the Toa Metru saved the remaining Matoran Pods in the coliseum (which, if the Horde hadn't moved in yet, didn't need much of an explanation; they just went back and got them) and how Makuta got out of the Toa Seal (which could be explained as the work of the Horde or Makuta breaking free of his own power with time, I don't remember if they established by then how durable the Seal was).

What do you guys think? Do you think it could've worked? Do you have any ideas of your own?

11 hours ago, The Outsider said:

What do you guys think? Do you think it could've worked? Do you have any ideas of your own?

I feel like a topic like this would raise a lot more interest and discussions on other more Bionicle-dedicated forums, such as the TTV Message Boards. The LEGO Action Figures section here on Eurobricks is pretty much dead, outside of the occasional MOCs that are posted, but even those don't generate much interest. 

If you want to discuss this in a place where people will actually reply to you and respond to your topic question, I would highly recommend posting this thread to that site, because sadly, there aren't a whole lot of active people left on this site that would engage in a Bionicle lore discussion like the one you are proposing. 

On 8/14/2021 at 11:16 AM, Lego David said:

I feel like a topic like this would raise a lot more interest and discussions on other more Bionicle-dedicated forums, such as the TTV Message Boards. The LEGO Action Figures section here on Eurobricks is pretty much dead, outside of the occasional MOCs that are posted, but even those don't generate much interest. 

If you want to discuss this in a place where people will actually reply to you and respond to your topic question, I would highly recommend posting this thread to that site, because sadly, there aren't a whole lot of active people left on this site that would engage in a Bionicle lore discussion like the one you are proposing. 

Yeah, I've noticed already. Oh well, time to go create an account. At least I'll be able to vote on the canonization contests this way.

I guess things haven't been as lively here since we've had no more official constraction sets. Here's to hoping for a future line.

6 hours ago, The Outsider said:

I guess things haven't been as lively here since we've had no more official constraction sets. Here's to hoping for a future line.

Yeah, most people who come to talk about LEGO on Eurobricks usually only talk about current set releases, and since there are no current Constraction sets, people don't have much to talk about in this section. Other Bionicle-dedicated sites are still very active though. 

Edited by Lego David